By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry vs Final Fantasy XV Platinum demo

curl-6 said:
fatslob-:O said:

Digital foundry implies that the hair is been rendered with thin geometry and thus they agree with me ...

In other words, Xbox One always runs at a lower pixel output than PS4 and it translates to a perceptibly clearer image for the latter, in the main. However, image quality takes a hit due to the aggressive in-house post-process anti-aliasing, causing the image to blur on each console regardless of resolution in use. Coverage is also spotty, particular on Noctis and Carbuncle's hair, and high contrast elements can flare up in aliasing for a few frames before returning to a blurred state. For the second demo running, Final Fantasy 15 is let down by a post-process image treatment that's inadequate for the subject matter at hand, and it distracts from the great visuals at its core.

Post-process anti-aliasing doesn't work well with thin geometry as outlined in Morgan Mcguire's presentation about aggregate G-buffer anti-aliasing and notice how the hair quality on the X1 is perceptively lower compared to the PS4 too. It's probably due to the fact that the X1 is rendering at a lower resolution compared to PS4 since the image quality scales with resolution thus it is most likely that the hair is geometry instead of a bunch of transparent quads. Alpha effects and shadow resolution usually does not scale with resolution until you increase the resolution of those independently ... 

In the analysis video though he says: "alpha blending on hair is an obvious issue".

I wish I could fully understand what you guys are talking about in regards to the "Alpha" or lackthereof.  Is the discussion about if the demo was in an Alpha state or something along those lines?

Lube Me Up