By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Star Ocean 5 is a less than 20 hour jrpg MORE proof, Amazon japan users complaining

Nuvendil said:
Maraccuda said:
Typically JRPGs are about 30 hours long main story + many more hours of side quests/bosses.

If Star Ocean 5 is only 20 hours long with little to no side quests then it is an indication that it was semi rushed.

The only other JRPG I can think of that was short was Last Story on the Wii. Even though I liked that game the short length was annoying.

There's also a little game called Chrono Trigger you've probably seen on the occasional greatest games of all time list :P

Yup, and shockingly it can be beat in under 15 hrs... xD I think many people forget that.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

I am very happy to hear that. I always get lost in a game trying to complete stuff just because i can. And then when i get back to the story... I can't even remember where to pick it up. There are a couple of games that i just stopped playing because they lost all coherence to me. My fault, but still...

20 hours of a well paced game is great. Hopefully the story is captivating.

Cloudman said:
Nuvendil said:

There's also a little game called Chrono Trigger you've probably seen on the occasional greatest games of all time list :P

Yup, and shockingly it can be beat in under 15 hrs... xD I think many people forget that.

It can be beaten much quicker than that but most playthroughs are around 40 hours or more. Honestly, it's idiotic to do it because you're skipping basically the whole game. Somone's playtime mainly depends on how much they like to explore or how much they like to do. 

I'd take 20 fun hours like panzer dragoon saga than a longer boring game. There is no correct length. granted if i can have a 100 hour game that is fun the whole time Ill take it. If I liked jrpgs (which generally I don't) I wouldn't write off so5 over length. plus no nappy time makes it better than 4 by default. am i right or am i right

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aeolus451 said:
Cloudman said:

It can be beaten much quicker than that but most playthroughs are around 40 hours or more. Honestly, it's idiotic to do it because you're skipping basically the whole game. Somone's playtime mainly depends on how much they like to explore or how much they like to do. 

Honestly I'm surprised it would take people that long to play Chrono Trigger. I beat it in less time, and that was with all the side quests as well. It's not that long of a game.

I guess whether it is worth completing a game or not depends on the game. Some may be enjoyable, and some... maybe not.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
Aeolus451 said:

Honestly I'm surprised it would take people that long to play Chrono Trigger. I beat it in less time, and that was with all the side quests as well. It's not that long of a game.

I guess whether it is worth completing a game or not depends on the game. Some may be enjoyable, and some... maybe not.

There's a lot of hidden weapons, gear and optional places to explore. The game has alot of replay value since it can be beaten in many ways and that it has multiple endings. 

I'm completely fine if a game can be beaten in a short time but it can also be played for a lot longer because it has the content to play through. Alot of rpgs are like that. So I don't want any rpg that can only be played for about 20 to 30 hours because it doesn't have to shit to do past a short main story. It's a cop out in a way.

A long playtime shouldn't be an issue to anyone regardless of their daily life because we can save our games and resume the game whenever we want. 

Aeolus451 said:
Cloudman said:

There's a lot of hidden weapons, gear and optional places to explore. The game has alot of replay value since it can be beaten in many ways and that it has multiple endings. 

I'm completely fine if a game can be beaten in a short time but it can also be played for a lot longer because it has the content to play through. Alot of rpgs are like that. So I don't want any rpg that can only be played for about 20 to 30 hours because it doesn't have to shit to do past a short main story. It's a cop out in a way.

A long playtime shouldn't be an issue to anyone regardless of their daily life because we can save our games and resume the game whenever we want. 

I don't think there's anything wrong if a game is considered 'shorter' than what a 'standard' is in certain genres. If a game is good and complete, then that is what should be important, personally.

That's the point I'm trying to make mentioning Chrono Trigger. It's short, but does it make bad? Most people would disagree with you, including me. Making it longer could make it better, depending on the game, but is definitely not required to make RPGs good or better. Heck, most of my favorite RPGs fall into these time lengths. What matters is creators make their games as long as they need to be, and not fulfill some 'quota'. I definitely don't see making a game that length a cop out.

So yeah, maybe that will hold true for SO5 as well. It's not good to judge the game based on its length.

Dance my pretties!

Wow i'm suprised the game ended up so short.

Cloudman said:
Aeolus451 said:

I don't think there's anything wrong if a game is considered 'shorter' than what a 'standard' is in certain genres. If a game is good and complete, then that is what should be important, personally.

That's the point I'm trying to make mentioning Chrono Trigger. It's short, but does it make bad? Most people would disagree with you, including me. Making it longer could make it better, depending on the game, but is definitely not required to make RPGs good or better. Heck, most of my favorite RPGs fall into these time lengths. What matters is creators make their games as long as they need to be, and not fulfill some 'quota'. I definitely don't see making a game that length a cop out.

So yeah, maybe that will hold true for SO5 as well. It's not good to judge the game based on its length.

You're missing my point, I think. Chrono trigger is not a short game but it can be beaten quickly. It has a standard playtime, though. 

Game 1 can be beaten quickly or in a short amount of time. On average, players beat it around 40 hrs or more. Playtime is optional. Quicky type of players and longer types of players are happy about game length.

Game 2 can only be beaten quickly or in other words, it's a short game. Only quicky players are happy while long the type of players' wants are thrown under the bus. Short RPGs will always piss off somebody because it will only make one group happy. 

I can't believe Squeenix rushed this game

SO4 may not be the best JPRG ever but I had so much fun with it, finished in 40 hours...

man, I was so hyped