By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Star Ocean 5 is a less than 20 hour jrpg MORE proof, Amazon japan users complaining

Maraccuda said:
Typically JRPGs are about 30 hours long main story + many more hours of side quests/bosses.

If Star Ocean 5 is only 20 hours long with little to no side quests then it is an indication that it was semi rushed.

The only other JRPG I can think of that was short was Last Story on the Wii. Even though I liked that game the short length was annoying.

Nailed it

I LOVED Last Story, best jrpg last gen after Xenoblade

But yeah, it was so friggin' short.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Cloudman said:

I don't think there's anything wrong if a game is considered 'shorter' than what a 'standard' is in certain genres. If a game is good and complete, then that is what should be important, personally.

That's the point I'm trying to make mentioning Chrono Trigger. It's short, but does it make bad? Most people would disagree with you, including me. Making it longer could make it better, depending on the game, but is definitely not required to make RPGs good or better. Heck, most of my favorite RPGs fall into these time lengths. What matters is creators make their games as long as they need to be, and not fulfill some 'quota'. I definitely don't see making a game that length a cop out.

So yeah, maybe that will hold true for SO5 as well. It's not good to judge the game based on its length.

You're missing my point, I think. Chrono trigger is not a short game but it can be beaten quickly. It has a standard playtime, though. 

Game 1 can be beaten quickly or in a short amount of time. On average, players beat it around 40 hrs or more. Playtime is optional. Quicky type of players and longer types of players are happy about game length.

Game 2 can only be beaten quickly or in other words, it's a short game. Only quicky players are happy while long the type of players' wants are thrown under the bus. Short RPGs will always piss off somebody because it will only make one group happy. 

Buddy, Chrono Trigger IS short.  There are very few side quests.  You can easily beat everything in under 30 hours.  From reviews and other information the average playtime comes to the mid 20s wuth exceptionally few spending over 30.  Yes, you CAN bum around the world map grinding and poking about for 40hours.  But that's not game length, that's just goofing off.  And to be abundantly clear, I am talking about the original SNES version, not the recent DS port with extra content.  

Nuvendil said:
Aeolus451 said:

You're missing my point, I think. Chrono trigger is not a short game but it can be beaten quickly. It has a standard playtime, though. 

Game 1 can be beaten quickly or in a short amount of time. On average, players beat it around 40 hrs or more. Playtime is optional. Quicky type of players and longer types of players are happy about game length.

Game 2 can only be beaten quickly or in other words, it's a short game. Only quicky players are happy while long the type of players' wants are thrown under the bus. Short RPGs will always piss off somebody because it will only make one group happy. 

Buddy, Chrono Trigger IS short.  There are very few side quests.  You can easily beat everything in under 30 hours.  From reviews and other information the average playtime comes to the mid 20s wuth exceptionally few spending over 30.  Yes, you CAN bum around the world map grinding and poking about for 40hours.  But that's not game length, that's just goofing off.  And to be abundantly clear, I am talking about the original SNES version, not the recent DS port with extra content.  

It depends on playstyle. For me, it was an easy 40 plus other replays for other ending.  it's not a short game. Someone can beat it quickly if they want.

Acevil said:
Mirson said:

Grace and Xillia are the ones that I've finished.

Really you spend a lot of time in Xillia, if it took you that long. It felt really short to me. Graces I sort of got bored towards, the last third of the game, so I have no idea. 

I got to the otherworld in 30 hours, so maybe 35 hours is more accurate for Xillia. It did seem short because the game never took it to the next level.

As long as the 20 hours you do play are good, Im fine with this.

Its games that are long just to be long...that are terrible. Im also guessing he didnt do everything in that 20hours?

Id rather replay a 20h game than a 90h game.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Nuvendil said:

It depends on playstyle. For me, it was an easy 40 plus other replays for other ending.  it's not a short game. Someone can beat it quickly if they want.

That's replay value, not game length.  The game itself, if you don't care about getting one of the alternate endings, is something like 25 hours.  And that's for the 100% ending.  I'm not arguing replay value doesn't matter, that's one reason why Chrono Trigger is so great.  But the main reason is every one of those 25 hours is good content.  No padding quests, no fluff.  25 excellent hours easily trumps 40 to 50 hours with 15 to 20 of that being tedium (*cough*Bravely Default*cough*).

Nuvendil said:
Aeolus451 said:

That's replay value, not game length.  The game itself, if you don't care about getting one of the alternate endings, is something like 25 hours.  And that's for the 100% ending.  I'm not arguing replay value doesn't matter, that's one reason why Chrono Trigger is so great.  But the main reason is every one of those 25 hours is good content.  No padding quests, no fluff.  25 excellent hours easily trumps 40 to 50 hours with 15 to 20 of that being tedium (*cough*Bravely Default*cough*).

Well, i was talking about playtime but I wasn't trying to add any extra playthroughs' playtime into it. 25 hours is a minimalist's playtime for that game in my opinion. You can't 100% the game in just 25 hours (find hidden weapons & gear). I can easily play about 30 to 50 hours in that game without a guide just playing normal. I never been one of those players just go from point A to B to C to etc. I like to explore, find hidden stuff and take my time. I guess I'm close to a completist but I'm not exactly one either. 

In that same line of thought, 100 hours of a good game is better than just 20 hours of it.  The Witcher 3 is a long rpg but I consider it the gotg so far. I'm not saying that it's playtime is what makes it good but the tons of content and story to go through in that game definitely what does.

Well now I m interested.
Those Jrpg are way too long

Aeolus451 said:
Cloudman said:

I don't think there's anything wrong if a game is considered 'shorter' than what a 'standard' is in certain genres. If a game is good and complete, then that is what should be important, personally.

That's the point I'm trying to make mentioning Chrono Trigger. It's short, but does it make bad? Most people would disagree with you, including me. Making it longer could make it better, depending on the game, but is definitely not required to make RPGs good or better. Heck, most of my favorite RPGs fall into these time lengths. What matters is creators make their games as long as they need to be, and not fulfill some 'quota'. I definitely don't see making a game that length a cop out.

So yeah, maybe that will hold true for SO5 as well. It's not good to judge the game based on its length.

I'm not sure if I can agree either that Chrono Trigger is not a short game. I didn't rush it either. I enjoyed all that I could in the game with all the best gear gotten, worlds explored and all the routes in the Black Omen done in around 14 hours. Getting the extra endings does add more to that, but I would say that makes CT more replayable than longer. Thought, I'm not sure what you consider standard playtime to be. I don't really think about that either, as I've played RPGs with all kinds of different lengths.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

20 hours is a bit short unless they are playing on easiest mode and just doing the story. If it is on easy mode and the person is just focusing on the story then 20 hours is perfectly fine.

I usually get 100+ hours out of a SO game but most of that is doing all the side stuff.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.