By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Star Ocean 5 is a less than 20 hour jrpg MORE proof, Amazon japan users complaining

BraLoD said:
think-man said:

He also revealed the amount of planets you visit. 

I dunno how to do a spoiler tag so if you work out this math question you'll know

5 + 10 - 3 - 5 + 4 - 10 = the amount of planets you visit

So a single one. It's planet them, not planets XP

I did that on purpose not to spoil xD

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Xxain said:

I pick a random jrpg and I play it to finish. During my time:

I enjoy the story of the  of game.

I enjoy the characters.

Phenomenal music

Attractive art direction

Fun engaging battle system

Good amount of side quest/Post game content

Satisfactory ending leaves me fulfilled.

I look at my end time and its 26 hours. Why does it matter if I was delivered a enjoyable game? Why does not being 40+/60+/100+ even matter? Why is a arbitrary number even thing?    

If you compare a person's experience that throughly played a game to the experience of someone who only beat the main story arc, it's almost like two different games were played.  It's not really an arbitrary number as you put it. How do we measure content in a rpg or any game? How else is someone to really know if they just skimmed the surface of a game versus throughly playing it for all it's worth? Those things are not that easy to define but max playtime and average playtime will give ya a clearer picture of what to expect content-wise.

If a dev tells gamers that their game should take 30 hours to beat on average, you'll have an idea how much content (main story, side quests, crafting) there is for you to do. Anyway, I highly doubt that 20 hours is the normal playtime for Star Ocean 5. It's probably in the 40s to 100s.

The number CAN be completely arbitrary because of the side content.   Getting a gold chocobo in FFVII can take you like 30 hours, but how much of that is actually playing? Maybe the first 5 hours or so when your starter chocobos don't have good stats, but after you upgrade to a black you're just mindlessly feeding greens, breeding, and blazing through races with no challenge.  That isn't game time, it's busywork.

Xxain said:
DivinePaladin said:
Wasn't Chrono Trigger essentially 20 hours?

If you wanted it to be and on that topic, so was Chrono Cross, another excellent game.

No way was Chrono Cross 20hrs. That game took me over 40 hours, and I missed out on some major stuff. Also, howlongtobeat.com has the average completion time at about 44 hours. 

Imo 20hrs is just too short for an RPG, unless it's a cheap indie. If I buy an RPG I expect to get at least 35hrs on the main story + a few sidequests. If I wanted a 20hr or less experience, I'd buy a linear, story driven action game, like Uncharted, or Bioshock. Those provide more "enjoyment per hour" than your average RPG, considering they have no inventory/party/resource management, or traveling. It's just one setpiece to the next. Better graphics too.

As long as its a good 20 hours I'm in.

konnichiwa said:

Their is this neogaf thread and their are a lot of complains about the game, the overall impression feels like a budget title. 

And about the 20 hours, one neogaf member is 12 hours into the game and streams it on youtube, basically he looked it up on the wiki and has finished 2/3 of the game in those hours.

Where is this mythical thread on neogaf full of complaints about it being a budget title?

In fact most have not even played much yet as it is not released outside of japan and has only been out in Japan for a couple of days. (And you have to import it which will take a couple of days at least so many have just began the game)

This whole thread feels like a tad bit late april fools joke.

Around the Network
elektranine said:
konnichiwa said:

Their is this neogaf thread and their are a lot of complains about the game, the overall impression feels like a budget title. 

And about the 20 hours, one neogaf member is 12 hours into the game and streams it on youtube, basically he looked it up on the wiki and has finished 2/3 of the game in those hours.

Where is this mythical thread on neogaf full of complaints about it being a budget title?

In fact most have not even played much yet as it is not released outside of japan and has only been out in Japan for a couple of days. (And you have to import it which will take a couple of days at least so many have just began the game)

its not an April fools joke, im dead serious, besides its a bit late for April fools.

Iveyboi said:
Star Ocean 4 took me 50 hours and I didn't even do close to everything. I highly doubt this.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AF%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A7%E3%82%A2%E3%83%BB%E3%82%A8%E3%83%8B%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B9-%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A3%E3%83%B35-Integrity-and-Faithlessness/dp/B015E13132

Don't believe me? Also check out the reviews on Japan amazon, users complaining alot length 

elektranine said:
konnichiwa said:

Here is the thread: https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202314

Hasemo and others imported it.

Hasemo:  Last (?) boss time. 22 hours on the clock, but I left the game running for an hour or two.

-Optional dungeons look the same with almost no good reason to visit them
- You will see the same enemies over and over again just with a different colour
- Almost 50 % of of the soundtrack is copied from older star ocean games.
Etc..

konnichiwa said:
elektranine said:

Here is the thread: https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202314

Hasemo and others imported it.

Hasemo:  Last (?) boss time. 22 hours on the clock, but I left the game running for an hour or two.

-Optional dungeons look the same with almost no good reason to visit them
- You will see the same enemies over and over again just with a different colour
- Almost 50 % of of the soundtrack is copied from older star ocean games.
Etc..

And yet people still question lol

Xxain said:
think-man said:

star Ocean 3 took me ages! Star Ocean 4 i got too bored and quit after about 15 hours

SO3 took everybody ages if you were going for everything. I think games like SO3, FF12, and DQ8 had alittle too much content. 

I agree so much. FF12 and DQ8 would both have been better if they cut about 10-15 hours of fat out of it. Both are great, but wore out their welcomes.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.