By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

Oh well 4 great years is enough for me this time. looking forward to next gen.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Well damn. That sucks if it's true. That's very unusual for a system to be discontinued so early after being replaced (and if true this definitely means the NX is a home system due out this fall). Fortunately I got my Wii U a long time ago, back in August of 2013 IIRC. Looks like I might need to buy a few accessories before they become hard to find, though. Most major software titles should remain in print for quite a long time though, as Nintendo is generally good about that.

Yep, if you need accessories, get them now, once they're gone they're gone. 

fatslob-:O said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Not really surprising. I just hope I can get a Smash U Gamecube adapter for my Dolphin emulator. Do those work on PC?

Yes!

Nice :)

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Luke888 said:
Does somebody still think that NX home will come in 2017 ? because if you did so after this news we have some big problems <.<

They are still making them to the end of 2016, and there is no supply issues (outside Japan), in fact there are probably a good number of consoles that still have to be sold. You're completely taking out the possibility that they are projecting the amount they will sell into next year and just making around that many. 

To put it simply, they don't see the financial benefit of having tons of consoles when they are announcing and releasing a new console. They also stopped production of the Wii U in 2015 (I think that was the year at least...) which put them in the green for the year financially. Making a finite amount of consoles only makes sense at this point (it's an expensive console to make), and they can still do that this year and release 2017.

Gamemaster87 said:
dongo8 said:

Because they are bringing their new console out sooner? This makes no sense to me, it's going to be an upgrade. What if it winds up being something that is completely irresistable? I think you may be defecting too soon in the game haha

Because they are betraying Wii U owners? They are a bunch of liars. Kimishim asaid that they have many unannounced Wii U games left. He also said that he wants more Splatoon-like games on the Wii U. Iwata said that Nintendo will make Wii U owners happy of owning Wii U and give them what they want. Aonuma said that Zelda will launch exclusively on Wii U. Iwata said that NX won't replace the Wii U. Those were all lies. And I'm not the one who takes lies with humor or fun. If Nintendo lies in my face I will refuse to further support them. Not to mention that the NX will most likely fail even harder than the Wii U since they make the mistake and launch it mid-gen.

I'm done with this company. They can close their doors and I won't care. They can just die now.

Congratulations. You've gone from denial to anger. Next comes bargaining, depression, and eventually acceptance. We're with you during this difficult journey.

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
Luke888 said:
Does somebody still think that NX home will come in 2017 ? because if you did so after this news we have some big problems <.<

They are still making them to the end of 2016, and there is no supply issues (outside Japan), in fact there are probably a good number of consoles that still have to be sold. You're completely taking out the possibility that they are projecting the amount they will sell into next year and just making around that many. 

To put it simply, they don't see the financial benefit of having tons of consoles when they are announcing and releasing a new console. They also stopped production of the Wii U in 2015 (I think that was the year at least...) which put them in the green for the year financially. Making a finite amount of consoles only makes sense at this point, and they can still do that this year and release 2017.

Actually no, production likely has already stopped. They're not making them until year end, they simply want the inventory they have now to be "depleted" by year end. 

Huh, this is very interesting...

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

JWeinCom said:
Gamemaster87 said:

Because they are betraying Wii U owners? They are a bunch of liars. Kimishim asaid that they have many unannounced Wii U games left. He also said that he wants more Splatoon-like games on the Wii U. Iwata said that Nintendo will make Wii U owners happy of owning Wii U and give them what they want. Aonuma said that Zelda will launch exclusively on Wii U. Iwata said that NX won't replace the Wii U. Those were all lies. And I'm not the one who takes lies with humor or fun. If Nintendo lies in my face I will refuse to further support them. Not to mention that the NX will most likely fail even harder than the Wii U since they make the mistake and launch it mid-gen.

I'm done with this company. They can close their doors and I won't care. They can just die now.

Congratulations. You've gone from denial to anger. Next comes bargaining, depression, and eventually acceptance. We're with you during this difficult journey.

He has a point. People who just bought their Wii U are gonna be so pissed. My friend literally just bought one too and if they stop making games for it at the end of 2016 then wow. It's seriously just crappy to treat your consumers like this. And that's something you can't argue

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Is the Wii still being manufactured? That would be pretty weird for the Wii U to cease production while the previous console still going.

Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

To put it simply, they don't see the financial benefit of having tons of consoles when they are announcing and releasing a new console. They also stopped production of the Wii U in 2015 (I think that was the year at least...) which put them in the green for the year financially. Making a finite amount of consoles only makes sense at this point, and they can still do that this year and release 2017.

Actually no, production likely has already stopped. They're not making them until year end, they simply want the inventory they have now to be "depleted" by year end. 

That is not what was written, in fact it says "production" will stop in 2016. This would indicate they are still making them.