By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

No surprise, but still pretty unfortunate, the Wii U is a solid console that deserved better.

And yeah, another big sign for NX 2016, not that we needed any more reason to believe it.

Around the Network

This confirms NX for 2016, and also confirms that NX will launch with Zelda (or at least have BC).

bet: lost

But but but......i thought Nintendo was going to support it thru 2017?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Interesting. Is this official from Nintendo itself?

So... I still think we won´t see the NX in stores until next year. They´re probably planning to stop production by December and burn all their stock on early 2017, giving room for the new device. But it´s still just a guess... everything related to both WiiU and NX seems so obscure right now...

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLZO98745680T20C16A3TI5000/?dg=1

dongo8 said:
I saw somewhere else on NeoGAF that the NX would also be fully unveiled before E3, which would make sense. If they are completely stopping production of the Wii U, they should be trying to get the NX out there to the media and the masses as soon as possible. I am sure at this point there is lots and lots of hype, but eventually hype dies, they have to get it out there while people are still paying attention.

No, it didnt say anything about it being fully unvieled before E3, just that it would be mentioned, most likely at the investor briefing at the end of April

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Sad if it is true. WiiU got screwed

Maybe the whole "Nintendo HAS TO SUPPORT WII U UNTIL 2017!" brigade can finally accept the truth now.

It was obviously from the beginning of this year when they had "Wii U shortages" for like 2 months straight in Japan that they're simply waiting for existing inventory to dry out.

In all honesty last E3 should have been the final tip off ... they showed off basically zero no big game projects. 

dongo8 said:

Because they are bringing their new console out sooner? This makes no sense to me, it's going to be an upgrade. What if it winds up being something that is completely irresistable? I think you may be defecting too soon in the game haha

In what way ? 

dongo8 said:
Gamemaster87 said:
R.I.P. Nintendo
I'm now a PS4 only gamer.

Because they are bringing their new console out sooner? This makes no sense to me, it's going to be an upgrade. What if it winds up being something that is completely irresistable? I think you may be defecting too soon in the game haha

Because they are betraying Wii U owners? They are a bunch of liars. Kimishim asaid that they have many unannounced Wii U games left. He also said that he wants more Splatoon-like games on the Wii U. Iwata said that Nintendo will make Wii U owners happy of owning Wii U and give them what they want. Aonuma said that Zelda will launch exclusively on Wii U. Iwata said that NX won't replace the Wii U. Those were all lies. And I'm not the one who takes lies with humor or fun. If Nintendo lies in my face I will refuse to further support them. Not to mention that the NX will most likely fail even harder than the Wii U since they make the mistake and launch it mid-gen.

I'm done with this company. They can close their doors and I won't care. They can just die now.

zorg1000 said:
dongo8 said:
I saw somewhere else on NeoGAF that the NX would also be fully unveiled before E3, which would make sense. If they are completely stopping production of the Wii U, they should be trying to get the NX out there to the media and the masses as soon as possible. I am sure at this point there is lots and lots of hype, but eventually hype dies, they have to get it out there while people are still paying attention.

No, it didnt say anything about it being fully unvieled before E3, just that it would be mentioned, most likely at the investor briefing at the end of April

NeoGAF Insider, you're right, didn't confirm a full reveal, but did say they "Believe it" to be more a full reveal than a "We'll see more at E3". So should be some news/unveiling coming down the Nintendo pipeline very soon :)

http://mynintendonews.com/2016/03/22/neogaf-insider-who-predicted-pokemon-bw-says-well-get-nx-info-before-e3/

NNID: Dongo8                              XBL Gamertag: Dongos Revenge