By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The best VR headset, after a week at GDC - Gizmag

Tagged games:

Hm, I skimmed through the article, but I haven't noticed screen comparisons and most importantly how pronounced Screen Door Effect is for each headset.

Around the Network

Odd, I never had any problems with Move in Sports champions. I had some issues with depth tracking in Thumble yet the stereo camera should solve that. Depth tracking worked perfectly fine in sports champions table tennis. The best motion control simulation I have seen. Nor did it have any problems tracking fast motions on gladiator duel. It seemed to work without any issues too on this social demo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK8tMwlZLEM

Perhaps he had a bad setup, or the software wasn't properly finished. Dunno, I'll find out for myself anyway. Most of the time I'll be playing with a standard controller, racing, flying, etc. The more FUD the bigger the chance I can get my hands on one at release :)

And why not a single word about image quality?

Occulus is out for me anyway, I wear glasses and do not want built in headphones, besides from not having a capable PC.

I know in sports champions the game had no problem tracking PS Move with damn fast motion. You play the gladiator fight and you can swing your weapon fast and there's no tracking issue. With disc golf I can fling my arm as fast as I can possibly fling it to fly the frisbee as far as possible and the game had no problem with converting my movement into the desired effect (flying the disc far and fast). So I think the complaint about Move is possibly more about the game and not the tech behind the move. If anything the Move tech should be significantly improved with the PS camera now having 2 lenses which allows for much better 3D tracking than with the PS Eye which only had one lens.

Move has its issues on PS3, in particular with shooters you get reticule drift some times which requires re-calibrating, but it still works very well once calibrated, and the drift doesn't happen all the time. You also can't use Move in brightly lit conditions because the camera can't make out the light ball well enough to track. So there's that. I think Sony kind of had to go with Move in thei first round of VR because even though it only achieved a fairly low install base, it's pretty clear that a lot of Move adopters are likely to be PSVR adopters and thus they already have the peripheral hardware and only need to buy the headset.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

kowenicki said:
HokageTenshi said:
Oculus Rift - X360
HTC Vive - PS3
PlayStation VR - Wii

The Wii was broken at launch?

The VR headsets already launched?

BraLoD said:

This article is the very first to not call anything but an awesome experience for the PSVR, and seems like it's only with an optional controller as well and with SOME games, as I have to bear with people "it's like the other two are 8th gen and it's 6th gen" and "it's broken at launch", LOL.

Always the same core as well

But lets not bean count, right?

Hey, I'm 95% certain bean counting isn't helpful ;)

Around the Network

So looks like the move controllers suck. Not a big deal for me because I never planned on using the move controllers. I just want to use a normal controller. I also don't want to play games that require lots of movement. I want the VR experieince without doing any movement pretty much. I play games to relax. I workout 4 days a week lifting really heavy. I don't need any extra excersise and I refuse to do any extra work just to play a game. 

SvennoJ said:
And why not a single word about image quality?

Yes! Not a word about resolution, frames per second, screen door effects or headaches. A slight graphic downgrade in Eve Valkyrie is the only thing mentioned. 

Suddenly the "only" disadvantage PSVR has are the motion controllers, and the tracking can probably be improved until launch.

Does anyone know if there is any aim assistance in VR games? If you have bad eye-hand coordination you will suck at all motion controlled games?

method114 said:

So looks like the move controllers suck. Not a big deal for me because I never planned on using the move controllers. I just want to use a normal controller. I also don't want to play games that require lots of movement. I want the VR experieince without doing any movement pretty much. I play games to relax. I workout 4 days a week lifting really heavy. I don't need any extra excersise and I refuse to do any extra work just to play a game. 

Not sure if you will have a choice.  If both the Vive and Rift will have motion controls, so must the PSVR if they expect game support.  Personally I have been burned by Sony support for the move which I still have the controllers and camera that I am definitely willing to wait for that game or 3 from the PSVR before I pull the trigger or even if I pull the trigger and just get the Vive.

kowenicki said:
HokageTenshi said:
Oculus Rift - X360
HTC Vive - PS3
PlayStation VR - Wii

PSVR has launched?

kowenicki said:
HokageTenshi said:
Oculus Rift - X360
HTC Vive - PS3
PlayStation VR - Wii

no, but it seems your sense of logic is. 

Care to explain how the PSVR is "Broken"? reality is you cant, so your claim is just nonesense.