Snow angel for me. 0 0%

Time for some hot cocoa. 0 0%

Maybe. 1 2.50%

It's pretty cool... 0 0%

Finally, a no answer. 2 5.00%

Total:40

New Poll Asks Men Which Shōjo Manga They'd Recommend to Other Men

posted on 2016-09-12 19:45 EDT by Lynzee Loveridge

Japanese manga magazines usually have distinct demographic targets narrowed by age and sex. This is usually evident within the title, like Shōnen Magazine, Shōnen Jump, Shōnen Gangan, Shōnen Champion, Shōnen Sirius, and the list goes on. That said, many readers will walk across the aisle and read manga even if it isn't "for" them. There are plenty of men reading shōjo and women reading shōnen manga.

A survey carried out by the BookLive! service asked men who purchased shōjo manga between August 29 to September 1 what shōjo series they would recommend to other men. A total of 560 men responded.

The winner is Yuki Suetsugu's Chihayafuru, a story about a high school girl named Chihaya who begins participating in the competitive world of Karuta, a card game based on Japanese poetry. Respondents said they thought the series' good mix of romance elements and club activities would be easily received by male readers and the manga has a solid story.

The full results are:

Chihayafuru by Yuki Suetsugu

My Love Story!! by Kazune Kawahara and Aruko

Kimi ni Todoke - From Me to You by Karuho Shiina

Honey and Clover by Chika Umino

Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya

Banana Fish by Akimi Yoshida

Patalliro! by Mineo Maya

Natsume's Book of Friends by Yuki Midorikawa

Nodame Cantabile by Tomoko Ninomiya

Aozora Yell by Kazune Kawahara

------------------

As someone who recommends Chihayafuru, Kimi ni Todoke, and Nodame Cantabile often, I thought this was interesting.  

Aozora Yell sounds pretty good, I might check that one out.

Also:  "Male readers previously weighed in on their favorte shōjo manga last year. Nodame Cantabile topped that list followed by Please Save My Earth and Boys Over Flowers."  Boys Over Flowers is pretty awesome, too.  The drama series (the Japanese version) was amazing.  The Korean version was pretty good but differed a lot.  Haven't seen the Taiwanese or Chinese versions.  The anime was fantastic for its time.  Talk about popular.

Turns out India had a version, as well.  The original story is just that damn good and Makino is one of my favorite heroines ever because of how strong she was.

Around the Network

Hajime No Ippo 1152 - I just...I am at a loss for words....where are we going to go from here? What happened to Ippo and why did he fall so easily? I am sure the coach has a plan!

My Hero Academia 107 - As I thought no one from the UA class was eliminated and they are still being underestimated. Also what is up with the old folks and babies at the end lol.

One Piece 839 - More story development and what is this lab that Sanji has went into? And I so wanted to see him beat the snot out of his brother! Dang it!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

TheBlackNaruto said:

One Piece 839 - More story development and what is this lab that Sanji has went into? And I so wanted to see him beat the snot out of his brother! Dang it!

Ugh that pissed me off so much! But is going to feel very good when Sanji beats every single member of his family (except for Reiju). And that lab has a lot of Germa soldiers clones so there's that.

Mike321 said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

Ugh that pissed me off so much! But is going to feel very good when Sanji beats every single member of his family (except for Reiju). And that lab has a lot of Germa soldiers clones so there's that.

So I am wondering are the cloning the oldest brothers then? And what is the end goal? And yes when Sanji and the crew beat the crap out of his family it will ebsuper satisfying. I personally think that the arc will be about the strawhats clashing with Sanji family and it will no tbe the arc were they truly take on Big mama and her pirates yet. Can't wait to see where this is going to go!

TheBlackNaruto said:

So I am wondering are the cloning the oldest brothers then? And what is the end goal? And yes when Sanji and the crew beat the crap out of his family it will ebsuper satisfying. I personally think that the arc will be about the strawhats clashing with Sanji family and it will no tbe the arc were they truly take on Big mama and her pirates yet. Can't wait to see where this is going to go!

Not sure what Germa's plans are yet but yeah this is not the arc where they will face Big Mom, especially because they whole crew is not there. Plus we don't know what happened between Cracker and Luffy and he needs to be at full strenght to face Big Mom and even then I don't see him beating her on his own considering how bad he struggled with Doflamingo.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:

I just finished all of the 7 deadly sins.

Who the final three 7 deadly sins are - was extremely obvious.  Like you know they tried to make it a bit of a mystery or trick you - and they failed amazingly at that.

Also why does NO ONE stay dead? Elaine? The guy at the very beginning (whose name I forgot), Merlin, Meliodas. I mean they just die and it is like "oh look they are back".

Also they get super power for no reason.  They lost? Who cares they are back and they win.

Well yeah they did make it pretty obvious lol. And yes no one stays dead in 7DS not even the villians lol. Also well honestly the only person who a power up was seemingly Merlin or at least she made a stupid mistaken with the first of the Ten Commandments and never got to show her true power so maybe she didn't get a power up but she is RIDICULOUSLY over powered at the moment like SERIOUSLY unfair as they even said in the last Manga lol.

Mike321 said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

Not sure what Germa's plans are yet but yeah this is not the arc where they will face Big Mom, especially because they whole crew is not there. Plus we don't know what happened between Cracker and Luffy and he needs to be at full strenght to face Big Mom and even then I don't see him beating her on his own considering how bad he struggled with Doflamingo.

My Theory on why Luffy struggled with Donflamingo is becasue he could not use his full power for real. he had fought in the tournament, fought all those minions, fell in water, and a bunch more. And then in the Donflamingo arc I do not think he used his most powerful form and I say that because he revealed Gear 4th and it showed that Raleigh was still there when he acquired gear 4th but we also know Realeigh left before Luffy finished training so he was there for like what at least another 6 months without him. So I am sure he came up withs omething else outsife of gear 4th but we will see! And I think even though they may have never said it but Donflamingo was at most right below Yakuno level.

Bandorr said:

I just finished all of the 7 deadly sins.

Who the final three 7 deadly sins are - was extremely obvious.  Like you know they tried to make it a bit of a mystery or trick you - and they failed amazingly at that.

Also why does NO ONE stay dead? Elaine? The guy at the very beginning (whose name I forgot), Merlin, Meliodas. I mean they just die and it is like "oh look they are back".

Also they get super power for no reason.  They lost? Who cares they are back and they win.

Was Escanor really a mystery? I thought they introduced him in the gaiden with the vampires, so his appearance in the main story wasn't really a big shock. 

The mustache dude is dead I'm pretty sure, the same-face dude in the Pleiades is a different character. I agree that is annoying though. It's even worse than Fairy Tail in some regards. At least Igneel, Simon, and Lahar stayed dead...for now.

-------------------

One Piece: Fuck, someone needs to wreck the Vinsmokes. Last time I was this pissed was when the Franky family beat up Usopp. I hope that means the Vinsmokes will suffer the same fate once the Strawhats are reunited. Forget narrative, these asshats need a butt-whooping.

Niji is being cloned? I wonder what the story behind that is...

Overall..great chapter. I like that we're seeing Sanji's backstory again, shows Oda hasn't forgotten how he started.  

My Hero Academia: Good job Kami! His new tools were sorely needed...he's powerful but basically useless in big groups.

And Deku is doing well too...looks like he already passed? Not sure how much longer Round 1 will last. Round 2 seems interesting.  

I started reading Shokugeki no Souma...though I think I already said that here. It might be a surprise, since I complain about the MC being overpowered in the Anime Thread. It's fine, since it's hardly a rare occurence in this genre...but it's a bit annoying how the author tries to pretend Souma suffers actual losses, when in-universe they seem anything but. He beat himself up for losing a fight where he was only a sous chef...and another time got less points than a rival chef, only for the audience to point out that he would have won had it been based on judge tally and not overall score. Seems like the author is scared of giving him a legitimate loss. Judging by the anime, it seems that changes over time...so I guess I can't complain too much now...but it's taken a while to get here.

Still, the artwork in the manga is phenomenal, and most of the characters are really amusing. Also it's delicious. I'm probably most interested in learning about the Nakiri family, and Erina in general. The humor is great, and despite skimming through some of the dense explanations, I keep coming back for more. Currently just about done with the Autumn Election arc, which is roughly where this season of the anime will end, but I plan to catch up on the manga all the way.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Super_Boom said:

One Piece: Fuck, someone needs to wreck the Vinsmokes. Last time I was this pissed was when the Franky family beat up Usopp. I hope that means the Vinsmokes will suffer the same fate once the Strawhats are reunited. Forget narrative, these asshats need a butt-whooping.

Niji is being cloned? I wonder what the story behind that is...

Overall..great chapter. I like that we're seeing Sanji's backstory again, shows Oda hasn't forgotten how he started.  

The Vinsmokes might be my most hated group in the history of One Piece (well only second to the fucking Tenryuubito). I hate how helpless Sanji is because of the coward threats of the Vinsmokes but when the time comes for him to go Diable Jambe on their asses oh boy it's going to be amazing.

Heya, sorry it's been awhile since I posted in here, but I have been using some of my free time to read up on Boku No Hero and finally I am caught up, and it has been a real joy in reading it. There were some awesome times (like watching Deku, my boy, shape up to be a really awesome character, as well as All Might laying the smack down on that All For One guy)  and some really sad times (All Might having to retire as a super hero as well as many characters being ruined by the attack of the villains, whyy?!). I also have some favorites characters now, like Tsuyu, Ochako, Deku, All Might, and Tokoyami. So yeah... All caught up, and it's great! Also, the art in this manga is just really excellent

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Oh yeah, so... What's everyone else reading right now? Anyone pick up on anything new or really into a series or 2?

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread