By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGChartz Pokken Tournament League

Ruler said:
So how do you all like Pokkemon Tekken?

I like it a lot but it has some gameplay flaws, the most notorious one being that long hit combos deal less damage that simple combos. For instance, a 19 hit combo of Gardevoir deal 132 damage while a 12 hit combo deals 207. It doesn't reward players that take time to figure some combos and that sucks.

Around the Network
Volterra_90 said:

I prefer a hug, yeah :P. I might have been unlucky, but I played 10 matches and all of them with spammers. Chandelure and Gardevoir could really become tiresome, they really have more than just spamming projectiles and beams the whole battle, and running away from me XDD. I tried both of them and they have some nice combos that they could perform. The same goes for some Mewtwos or Braixens. It's not that I lose, I win some of those battles, but it gets tedious if you encounter 10 in a row. 

What matters is what's effective though, and Gardevoir n Chandelure are better at range but inferior in close combat, so it only makes sense to play the zoning game with them. I play Braixen and honestly I'd say she isn't really a projectile.character since everyone else's projectiles have higher priority except against Boomerang and Fire Spin, but those don't go that far and Fire Spin is slow to bring out and doesn't last long in duel phase. So I definitely understand your struggle, hell Gardevoir has been my worst match-up, I recently missed out on 3 rank up attempts in a row because of her! But I must admit, it does make it all the more satisfying when you do get in their face and start laying the smackdown, and with their lower HP they're really gonna feel it.

Mike321 said:

I like it a lot but it has some gameplay flaws, the most notorious one being that long hit combos deal less damage that simple combos. For instance, a 19 hit combo of Gardevoir deal 132 damage while a 12 hit combo deals 207. It doesn't reward players that take time to figure some combos and that sucks.

Are those combos involving the same move since you know not all deal the same damage. I've actually been gradually finding more and better combos, all of which weren't even in the tutorial, that's something I've been enjoying.

Einsam_Delphin said:

Are those combos involving the same move since you know not all deal the same damage. I've actually been gradually finding more and better combos, all of which weren't even in the tutorial, that's something I've been enjoying.

The 19 hits combo starts with a different move but after that is the same moves that the 12 hits combo. Also, burst attacks (depends on the combo) deal less damage when you use them out of a combo. I enjoy finding combos as well but the more I find the more I realize the easier combos deal more damage.

Einsam_Delphin said:

What matters is what's effective though, and Gardevoir n Chandelure are better at range but inferior in close combat, so it only makes sense to play the zoning game with them. I play Braixen and honestly I'd say she isn't really a projectile.character since everyone else's projectiles have higher priority except against Boomerang and Fire Spin, but those don't go that far and Fire Spin is slow to bring out and doesn't last long in duel phase. So I definitely understand your struggle, hell Gardevoir has been my worst match-up, I recently missed out on 3 rank up attempts in a row because of her! But I must admit, it does make it all the more satisfying when you do get in their face and start laying the smackdown, and with their lower HP they're really gonna feel it.

That's true, I really feel good when I manage to beat them, more than any Pokémon in the game! I struggle more with Chandelure. Hell, it has that charged beam which is really powerful, combined with the long distance grab, and it really hits hard in close combat too. 

Around the Network
Mike321 said:

The 19 hits combo starts with a different move but after that is the same moves that the 12 hits combo. Also, burst attacks deal less damage when you use them out of a combo. I enjoy finding combos as well but the more I find the more I realize the easier combos deal more damage.

I can only assume you're counting each individual hit in multi-hit attacks and those combos aren't really 10+ different attacks in a row, so while the multi-hit attack does more hits, it could still be weaker than the move you're using instead in the other combo. Also, even if a combo does less damage, it could still have it's uses and advantages. For instance Braixens uncharged back weak attack in to Y Y Y combo then flamethrower is her strongest standing combo w/o sunny day/burst (that I know of), but I rarely use it because her back weak isn't as easy to connect with as her other moves.

It's funny you complain about this though cause I have the opposite issue. I feel some combos are just way too damn long, on top of the burst attack animations which were cool at first but are just interuptions to me now.

Einsam_Delphin said:

I can only assume you're counting each individual hit in multi-hit attacks and those combos aren't really 10+ different attacks in a row, so while the multi-hit attack does more hits, it could still be weaker than the move you're using instead in the other combo. Also, even if a combo does less damage, it could still have it's uses and advantages. For instance Braixens uncharged back weak attack in to Y Y Y combo then flamethrower is her strongest standing combo w/o sunny day/burst (that I know of), but I rarely use it because her back weak isn't as easy to connect with as her other moves.

It's funny you complain about this though cause I have the opposite issue. I feel some combos are just way too damn long, on top of the burst attack animations which were cool at first but are just interuptions to me now.

I'm not complaining, but it's just weird how the damage is calculate. 

Mike321 said:

I'm not complaining, but it's just weird how the damage is calculate. 

"express dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs or an event"

So yes you are.

That's for game balance of course, so the game doesn't devolve into whoever touches the other player first wins.

Einsam_Delphin said:

"express dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs or an event"

So yes you are.

That's for game balance of course, so the game doesn't devolve into whoever touches the other player first wins.

I guess the damage scaling makes sense considering the game focuses more on the RPS element.

Edit: Just tried a combo with sceptile so I could test the damage scaling and I have a better idea of how it works.