By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rime in trouble? No longer being published by Sony.

Viktor said:
Octane said:

Rumour has it that there was never a game to begin with. It was all just CGI and no game; and they couldn't build the game that resembled their original trailer. If that's the case, I understand why Sony dropped this. 

"Funding" a project without any proof of concept in form of gameplay in the first place is ridiculous to say the least, they must have known that it was just a CGI trailer but used it anyway. Marketing tool for last years E3 at it´s most dishonest form in my opinion.

Quick question. How much of Shenmue 3 do you think was developed before the E3 trailer? Or the Last Guardian when it was first announced. Ohh right. Practically nothing? The New Metroid game whose gameplay has been completely revamped in the past year? All Pitch videos made on concepts. That have yet to be hammered out. Shenmue 3 didn't even know what their funding level was going to be, much less what all of the gameplay features would be for a legitmate vertical slice, so how could they have possibly have presented that to Sony before funding?

If funding a project required having a vertical slice before funding could be acquired, then most games would never ever get funded. Most small studios need funding to produce that vertical slice. So to say it's ridiculous when a good chuck of games are funded without it, is a bit silly, don't you think?

Furthermore, let's say Sony gets a pitch from TW and Sony greenlights it for a vertical slice. E3 comes and Sony wants to see what TW's got, and TW says something along the lines of "we don't have a playable presentation demo", but we have footage of gameplay". So Sony takes their footage and makes a trailer out of it. What then? It's on Sony for not doing their due diligence? Well I guess, but then again, I suspect most of the studios Sony deals with are not borderline con artists.

Around the Network
Viktor said:
aLkaLiNE said:

You're right. They were so worried about their software lineup, that they inflated the numbers with this one title.

They fooled everyone with a CGI trailer at their own E3 conference. Obviously they felt the need to present it as a Sony published exclusive at last years E3. They had the option not to present a CGI-trailer and to wait for actual gameplay footage you know.

I'm still waiting Recore gameplay...

Lauster said:
Viktor said:

They fooled everyone with a CGI trailer at their own E3 conference. Obviously they felt the need to present it as a Sony published exclusive at last years E3. They had the option not to present a CGI-trailer and to wait for actual gameplay footage you know.

I'm still waiting Recore gameplay...

don't forget about phatom dust.  can probably add fable legends to that list.  or maybe that shanghei heist new ip by black tusk coalition.

i remember a while back there was an article saying MS had a chance to sign Rime first, and people were criticizing MS for it. (including me). guess they dodged a bullet here.

I wonder how much $$$ Sony plunged in this project?

The only winner here is the art designer, CGI or not the game looked BEAUTIFUL.

He will have a job regardless of the destiny of the company imo.

Around the Network

Woof. That sounds like a really bad situation. I'm sad that it turned out to be a dud, because the game looked so promising.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Sad news... Rime had potential... :(

outlawauron said:
Woof. That sounds like a really bad situation. I'm sad that it turned out to be a dud, because the game looked so promising.

Dr.Vita said:
Sad news... Rime had potential... :(

Tequila Works Says Rime Development is “Going Well”

Tequila Works denies rumors of Sony dropping Rime.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/03/17/rime-ps4-development-going-well/