By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why i'm probably not getting Fire emblem Fates

zorg1000 said:
outlawauron said:

And? If someone isn't happy with how a company is handling things, it seems voting with your wallet is the only option.

Not really because the game is already a big success, his one lost sale will mean nothing to Nintendo, they will see that the game is a big success and continue what they are doing.

Instead of complaining about it on a message board that Nintendo will never see, he should go on one of their social media pages or email them expressing his displeasure with how they handled things. That at least has a chance of being seen by them which increases the chances of them fixing the problem.

Voting with your wallet doesn't work unless it's a huge amount of people who do the same and even that doesn't work because it doesn't explain to Nintendo what they did wrong.

Well, people started to ignore Call of Duty entries due to the decrease in quality following BLOPS 2. Even though it was still selling tens of millions, the upset customers who weren't pleased with the direction were heard. Activision fixed their stuff and BLOPS3 was widely praised for getting the series on the right track after Ghosts and Advanced Warfare.

While for a product like FE: Fates, it's really obvious that it doesn't matter how much they butcher it, it'll still sell. That's where Fire Emblem is now after Awakening.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Nem said:
MTZehvor said:

Basically this. I can understand being upset about not getting the special edition, but so pissed off that you won't get the game at all? Would you have gotten Fates if it hadn't had a special edition at all?

To clear this up. I want a physical version of the whole game. I don't want to be forced to buy digital versions. To be forced to do that i lose any will i have to play the game due to how bad the buying process is. I am left with such a bad experience that it will extend to my enjoyment of the game.

Honestly, the games are different, they are great. You seem to be a fire emblem fan, and not playing these games (which are different) would be a shame.

The hours of gameplay you will get out of it is very worth the price of buying multiple games. The special edition doesn't have all that much in it. I'd rather buy the Awakening  art book they are releasing this summer.

You are getting complete games. Just buy one and play it. If you like it buy more, if not then don't.

Nem said:

The way to get it... was literally to pre-order one of the other versions of the game, and later have the option to change your pre-order to the limited edition. I mean cmon? When i went to pre-order the game and ask for the limited edition its: No, we don't know anything about a special edition.

This isn't a Nintendo only problem. I think it is more to do with the retailers. I missed out on so many special editions because they were nto available as initial preorders.

The toher bug bear i have is that when you do put down on standard and you STILL miss out on special because they didn't contact you to let you know. Response I get is "if you put down $50AUD, you will be guranteed a call to upgrade lol"

Blob said:
MTZehvor said:

State it all you want; it doesn't change that numerous articles published by sources such as Forbes, Game Sync, and Huffington Post all cite studies showing that developers are becoming more and more hesitant to produce large scale copies of physical games. NPD physical sales have been down by significant amounts (17% in 2014) over the past two years, while digital sales have been rising dramatically (23% over the same time span).

The problem with your assertion is that the majority of gamers (and Americans who would be capable of affording video games) do have internet capable of downloading 50GB games. And as time passes and higher quality internet becomes more affordable, that number will only continue to rise. And, honestly, it doesn't even need to be a majority of gamers. As soon as enough people have high speed internet to the point where the loss in sales from the physical only crowd are overtaken by the costs for physical publishing (or splitting revenue with a publisher if you don't publish yourself), then digital gaming will be here to stay, with physical largely reduced to special editions and the likes. We're already seeing this with some small yet relatively well established titles like Ace Attorney and Elite Dangerous. And PC gaming has already largely become this with large distributors like Steam.

America is not the world though. Digital only can stifle the growth of the industry by limiting not only current but potential audiences.

Will there be a majority digital future, most likely evenyually, but i imagine not as soon as you'd think. the pro digital crowd who are already sold on it often forget about everyone else because it works for them. 

While that's true, America lags behind the rest of the developed world in terms of citizens who have fast internet, particularly the Western Europe video game market, Australia, and Japan, largely because unlike those areas, the US's internet market functions much more like an oligopoly, which keeps prices from being lowered as easily by competition. Telecom companies have also made a habit of splitting up regions in the US and focusing on them exclusively as opposed to trying to compete in other areas, whereas in many European countries such as Britain, governments force telecom companies to rent out their infrastructure for smaller companies to use in order to reduce barrier to entry and encourage competition.

My point in all of this is that while America is not the entire world, when it comes to the video game market that developers are interested in appealing to, they are as far behind as anyone out there. Will it limit audiences? Sure, to some extent, but it also eliminates publisher fees, and the audiences it would be losing from the rest of the world are generally ones that don't play video games. From a developers' standpoint, especially when you're likely to have to meet strict censorship standards in order to have your games published in a certain area (like China, for example), it's probably a smarter business decision to simply focus on areas you know your game can sell reasonably well in and follow a more cost effective method than continue to use a more expensive business model for the sake of appealing to a very unknown crowd.

I'm probably not getting Fire Emblem Fates because I found Awakening bad and boring, so I would rather play Radiant Dawn for the 4th time.

I could maybe buy it used later (Nohr/Conquest version), when I don't have anything else to play.

Around the Network

I didn't realise this! This is ridiculous. I placed a pre-order on Fates ages ago, but Amazon cancelled it when they added Birthright/Conquest as separate games.

EDIT: I'd keep double checking Nintendo's online store, they've yet to add any versions of Fates for pre-order.

Theres tonnes of people that gets missed out on Special Editions especially on popular games. Sadly this time, you were one of them.

Was this your first time wanting a Special Edition?

And I still don't get why you would missed out on this awesome game (Just judging from reviews) because of THAT! Seriously! This will most likely be the last FE GAME on the 3DS. The next one will most likely be on the NX!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Blob said:
Yeah I'm not bothering either.
I just want the whole thing in one package. If they won't give me that then they won't get my money

How about the content? Do you like about what you've seen of the game?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

MTZehvor said:
Nem said:

Spare me your doom talk. I am not so weak as to be affected by it.

Nintendo tried to sell me something and didnt give me the chance to buy it. That is all the justification i need.

...we're on an internet forum, dude. You don't need to boast about your strength.

What I'm trying to understand is what makes you so hesitant to buy a digital game. They've given you the chance to buy it, and you decided not to because of the form it was sold. Which is where my question comes in; why is digital so bad?

Look, its not just the digital copy. Its the sweet special edition they said they would have on sale but never gave any info about how it would be distributed or when. They tease me with something cool, i am convinced and then they say: too bad! I find that unnaceptable.

It doesn't matter to Nintendo. The game already smashed franchise records and exceeded expectations.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.