By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why i'm probably not getting Fire emblem Fates

spemanig said:

That's only one lost sale.

I never understood the "sorry, you can't have my money" rhetoric. Like they got someone else's. Many someone else's. Most people aren't going outright not buy a game just because they couldn't get a special edition, because most people buy games primarily to, you know, play them. Nintendo isn't having an emotional break down over one lost sale. The game still sold well. They are happy.

Its the principle. lol

Around the Network
MTZehvor said:
Pineapple said:

This way of thinking is extremely strange to me.

You didn't get the limited edition or the special edition, and there's cause to be somewhat upset for that. Deciding that it's so upsetting that you won't get the game at all, however, is quite peculiar. If Fire Emblem is a series you truly enjoy - and that seems to be the case - then you're only harming yourself with this way of thinking. It's largely irrelevant for Nintendo.

Basically this. I can understand being upset about not getting the special edition, but so pissed off that you won't get the game at all? Would you have gotten Fates if it hadn't had a special edition at all?

To clear this up. I want a physical version of the whole game. I don't want to be forced to buy digital versions. To be forced to do that i lose any will i have to play the game due to how bad the buying process is. I am left with such a bad experience that it will extend to my enjoyment of the game.

Mystro-Sama said:

Its the principle. lol

It's more than principal. It's the difference between being a vegan because you don't want to be a participant in animal slaughter, and being a vegan because you think you're doing something about animal slaughter.

When you imply that your withheld purchase has any effect on their bottom line it stops being for the principal, and starts being for protest. They don't care.

Nem said:
MTZehvor said:

Basically this. I can understand being upset about not getting the special edition, but so pissed off that you won't get the game at all? Would you have gotten Fates if it hadn't had a special edition at all?

To clear this up. I want a physical version of the whole game. I don't want to be forced to buy digital versions. To be forced to do that i lose any will i have to play the game due to how bad the buying process is. I am left with such a bad experience that it will extend to my enjoyment of the game.

Two things.

Firstly, what on Earth makes a digital purchase THAT bad? Having to download a game as opposed to inserting a cartridge somehow ruins the enjoyment you get from playing the game? Is music you download to your iPod or iPhone somehow less enjoyable than music played through a CD?

Secondly, if buying digital truly affects you that much, it might be worth considering finding a new hobby. Video games are headed towards majority digital distribution very quickly.

MTZehvor said:
Nem said:

Two things.

Firstly, what on Earth makes a digital purchase THAT bad? Having to download a game as opposed to inserting a cartridge somehow ruins the enjoyment you get from playing the game? Is music you download to your iPod or iPhone somehow less enjoyable than music played through a CD?

Secondly, if buying digital truly affects you that much, it might be worth considering finding a new hobby. Video games are headed towards majority digital distribution very quickly.

No, it isn't headed towards a majority digital distribution any time soon. I've stated this many times, just because you have internet capable of downloading 50 gig games doesn't mean the majority do. 

I too want a complete version of fates. I can't be bothered buying it in three parts, especially when a complete version was offered, but badly distributed.  

Around the Network
MTZehvor said:
Nem said:

Two things.

Spare me your doom talk. I am not so weak as to be affected by it.

Nintendo tried to sell me something and didnt give me the chance to buy it. That is all the justification i need.

Blob said:
MTZehvor said:

Two things.

No, it isn't headed towards a majority digital distribution any time soon. I've stated this many times, just because you have internet capable of downloading 50 gig games doesn't mean the majority do. 

I too want a complete version of fates. I can't be bothered buying it in three parts, especially when a complete version was offered, but badly distributed.  

State it all you want; it doesn't change that numerous articles published by sources such as Forbes, Game Sync, and Huffington Post all cite studies showing that developers are becoming more and more hesitant to produce large scale copies of physical games. NPD physical sales have been down by significant amounts (17% in 2014) over the past two years, while digital sales have been rising dramatically (23% over the same time span).

The problem with your assertion is that the majority of gamers (and Americans who would be capable of affording video games) do have internet capable of downloading 50GB games. And as time passes and higher quality internet becomes more affordable, that number will only continue to rise. And, honestly, it doesn't even need to be a majority of gamers. As soon as enough people have high speed internet to the point where the loss in sales from the physical only crowd are overtaken by the costs for physical publishing (or splitting revenue with a publisher if you don't publish yourself), then digital gaming will be here to stay, with physical largely reduced to special editions and the likes. We're already seeing this with some small yet relatively well established titles like Ace Attorney and Elite Dangerous. And PC gaming has already largely become this with large distributors like Steam.

Nem said:
MTZehvor said:

Two things.

Spare me your doom talk. I am not so weak as to be affected by it.

Nintendo tried to sell me something and didnt give me the chance to buy it. That is all the justification i need.

...we're on an internet forum, dude. You don't need to boast about your strength.

What I'm trying to understand is what makes you so hesitant to buy a digital game. They've given you the chance to buy it, and you decided not to because of the form it was sold. Which is where my question comes in; why is digital so bad?

Ah man...you have good taste in games, so I was hoping you'd be trying it out.

Still...can't really defend Nintendo on their limited edition nonsense...so if that's a big deal for you, it's understandable. Personally, I'd recommend Conquest at least, as it plays a lot more like the GBA and Tellius titles, and is a good challenge on top of that. Adding Birthright and Revelations as DLC are the same price as the limited edition, so you'd just be missing out on collector's stuff, which was kinda pointless in the U.S. If the special edition was out of stock, I wouldn't have had too much of problem with missing out on a book of portraits and a 3DS bag.

Again though...your call in the end. I do hope you get a chance to play it eventually though.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

MTZehvor said:
Blob said:

State it all you want; it doesn't change that numerous articles published by sources such as Forbes, Game Sync, and Huffington Post all cite studies showing that developers are becoming more and more hesitant to produce large scale copies of physical games. NPD physical sales have been down by significant amounts (17% in 2014) over the past two years, while digital sales have been rising dramatically (23% over the same time span).

The problem with your assertion is that the majority of gamers (and Americans who would be capable of affording video games) do have internet capable of downloading 50GB games. And as time passes and higher quality internet becomes more affordable, that number will only continue to rise. And, honestly, it doesn't even need to be a majority of gamers. As soon as enough people have high speed internet to the point where the loss in sales from the physical only crowd are overtaken by the costs for physical publishing (or splitting revenue with a publisher if you don't publish yourself), then digital gaming will be here to stay, with physical largely reduced to special editions and the likes. We're already seeing this with some small yet relatively well established titles like Ace Attorney and Elite Dangerous. And PC gaming has already largely become this with large distributors like Steam.

America is not the world though. Digital only can stifle the growth of the industry by limiting not only current but potential audiences.

Will there be a majority digital future, most likely evenyually, but i imagine not as soon as you'd think. the pro digital crowd who are already sold on it often forget about everyone else because it works for them.