By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why i'm probably not getting Fire emblem Fates

Hiku said:
spemanig said:

That's only one lost sale.

I never understood the "sorry, you can't have my money" rhetoric. Like they got someone else's. Many someone else's. Most people aren't going outright not buy a game just because they couldn't get a special edition, because most people buy games primarily to, you know, play them. Nintendo isn't having an emotional break down over one lost sale. The game still sold well. They are happy.

There's a bit of a difference in this case though in terms of cost. If you don't buy the Special Edition, you'll have to save the other two games on your memorycard in order to get the full experience for the same price. And that space is limited/costs money. The other day I was updating my Pokemon X, and when I tried to download the update file, it said I had too few blocks available on my memorycard. I deleted some demos to get it to fit, but I only have two full games saved on it. Phoenix Wright 5 and SMT4. And it's not by choice that I have them digitally. Neither got a physical release in Europe. And I'd prefer not to have to delete them off my memorycard if possible.

Why not get a bigger SD card? They're pretty cheap over there too, no?

Around the Network

Is revelation any good? i was thinking of skiping it only because i dont want to buy it digitally if i cant get the SE

Stormage009 said:
Is revelation any good? i was thinking of skiping it only because i dont want to buy it digitally if i cant get the SE

Middle of the pack for the series, I'd say. It's got a few levels with some nice twists on the formula, but it's largely straightforward. It has a nice difficulty balance: I've only played it on Lunatic and it's been hard enough to be interesting without being cheap. It has a ton of characters to choose from, but because of the order they come in quite a few are worthless unless you're willing to grind them to a higher level.

Overall I'd say it's worth getting, but Conquest is the better game. I'd say it's about on par with Sacred Stones.

Hiku said:

There's a bit of a difference in this case though in terms of cost. If you don't buy the Special Edition, you'll have to save the other two games on your memorycard in order to get the full experience for the same price. And that space is limited/costs money. The other day I was updating my Pokemon X, and when I tried to download the update file, it said I had too few blocks available on my memorycard. I deleted some demos to get it to fit, but I only have two full games saved on it. Phoenix Wright 5 and SMT4. And it's not by choice that I have them digitally. Neither got a physical release in Europe. And I'd prefer not to have to delete them off my memorycard if possible.

It costs dollars to get a bigger SD card. $5 for an 8GB if you're expanding from the default 4GB, which you likely are if you're complaining about not being able to hold games when you're primarily physical. Not really an excuse, if you ask me.

Hiku said:

My point still stands though, even if it was 1 cent.

Im the case of 3DS, I don't want any games digitally. I've only done it so far if I was forced to. And I never liked their decision to sell this game in three parts to begin with. That it would force me to buy another SD card because of this on top of supply shortages would only irk me even more.
It's a Special Edition, but it seems like a Limited Edition the way supplies ran out immediately.

I understand your point, I just don't think it's a good one. The reality of the situation is that the 3DS is a digital platform. You should have known that doing into that purchase. There was never any miscomunication saying that the system didn't required the download of digital content. The system was built from the beginning to accomidate digital purchases and feature expandable memory. The days are gone where you aren't expected to download content numerous times throughout the lifecycle of any platform, physically supported or not, so to complain about having to spend a measly extra $5 to accomedate an experience you willingly opted into the moment you decided to purchase a post-2010 media device is to complain about less than nothing.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

Agreed, "voting with your wallet" doesn't work because it doesn't let them know why you aren't buying the game. It doesn't teach them a lesson or hurt them in any significant way.

Are you being serious that you probably won't buy the game because of lack of diversity in character creation? If so, you should try contacting them and let them know you want that in future installments, the only way they will know that people want that is if people tell them that's what they want.

Okay, to be fair, the bigger reason I'm not getting the game is because I only want to play the Revalation path, and I don't want to have to pay more than the standard $40 to do it. I originally thought that if you bought the game digitally, you'd be allowed to just choose that path right away, but apparently that is not the case.

I'm honestly not passionate enough about the race issue to go that far. I'm not a fan of FE, so I'm not invested in the franchise. It's difficult to feel too alienated by a franchise you've never experienced.

noname2200 said:
Platina said:

but at the price of 2.. :/

I mean as one game with 2 paths

Having played all three, this is effectively paying twice the price for a bit more than twice the content. There's some overlap in maps (although the actual battles are different) and characters (although the equipment they use is different), but by and large Pineapple had it right in another thread: Fates is effectively a way to pick which Fire Emblem game you want to play, and a chance to immediately buy more Fire Emblem at a reduced price if you're so inclined.

Which in this case works out pretty well, because Birthright sucks. You're thus getting two games for the price of 1.5!

But it could have been one game though, which is my main issue with it

Would like to play all 3 paths, but in order to do so, I would have to pay 2x the price of it if it was one... and that is too expensive D:

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Platina said:
noname2200 said:

Having played all three, this is effectively paying twice the price for a bit more than twice the content. There's some overlap in maps (although the actual battles are different) and characters (although the equipment they use is different), but by and large Pineapple had it right in another thread: Fates is effectively a way to pick which Fire Emblem game you want to play, and a chance to immediately buy more Fire Emblem at a reduced price if you're so inclined.

Which in this case works out pretty well, because Birthright sucks. You're thus getting two games for the price of 1.5!

Would like to play all 3 paths, but in order to do so, I would have to pay 2x the price of it if it was one... and that is too expensive D:

Had it been just one game it would have dwarfed any previous version in terms of content though: you'd be paying roughly $0.50 per unique map, for example, where I believe the previous lowest was around $0.85. I see where you're coming from, mind you, but I sincerely doubt Fates would have been as large if it had been just one game: they almost certainly would have roughly halved the available content.

MTZehvor said:
Nem said:

I wouldn't, no. The problem is i got teased with something i liked and then wasn't given a proper chance to aquire. What is the point of this rather than piss people off? Even if it's a reward for early pre-orders, at least be honest and say that upfront. Keeping us in the dark about details for months and the bam all sold out without even giving a chance is ridiculous.

Also, i don't think they ever said anything about limited quantities, just that tere would be a special edition. The problem isn't the numbers though, its the fact tgat they gave zero information on hw to aquire it before hand. This current method just rewards the ebay trolls that will buyba buch of them and then sell for a profit.

Oh and please don't give the snarky response of: It's a limited edition! Doh! 

Theres many so called limited editions widely available at retailers. Even Nintendo ones. Say, for example Bayonetta and i'm sure Starfox will be widely available too. In normal retailers these things are available for pre-order and get produced with that demand in mind.

So, this isn't about the game itself, no. It's about beeing disatisfied with the buying process. I will not just take any sort of abuse to get a videogame i may be interested in. I'm interested, but not to the point i will be fine beeing steped on.

I'll take these in turn, because there's a lot of elements to this.

The problem is i got teased with something i liked and then wasn't given a proper chance to aquire. What is the point of this rather than piss people off?

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. You got "teased" with something that Nintendo simply wasn't prepared for. They vastly underestimated the demand for the special edition, and considering how ridiculously well Fates has sold, I can't say I blame them. They advertised it with the belief that a certain number of people would buy it, and they made a mistake there. It's simply a failure in forecasting demand, not some dark scheme by Nintendo to annoy people. I guess if you're truly that offended by a prediction error, then feel free to continue boycotting it, but I think you've got the wrong idea if you think Nintendo is just purposefully trying to piss you off or lie to you.

And, as another point, this may not even be Nintendo's fault, which I'll get into below...

Oh and please don't give the snarky response of: It's a limited edition! Doh! 

Theres many so called limited editions widely available at retailers. Even Nintendo ones. Say, for example Bayonetta and i'm sure Starfox will be widely available too. In normal retailers these things are available for pre-order and get produced with that demand in mind.

Honestly, limited editions being so regularly avaliable is largely a recent phenomenon due to some serious overestimations on demand by retailers. For example, a few months ago, Gamestop started selling a ton of Dark Souls 2 limited editions (which cost over $100 on launch day) for $20. Twenty freaking dollars. That's a major loss for retailers. Similar things happened with plenty other games, such as Order 1886. This, has had two major implications.

1) Game retailers (such as Gamestop) are now far more hesitant to place large orders for limited/special editions. If they sell out, fine, there's some profit left on the table, but it's probably not a huge deal. If they order too many, however, and have to sell them extremely cheaply later on, that REALLY hurts their bottom line. So when Nintendo decides how many special editions to produce, and they're talking with retailers to determine how many to make, retailers are more likely to give them a low estimate. So this issue may not even be on Nintendo at all; it could very well simply be a matter of stores like Gamestop and Best Buy telling Nintendo that they're not willing to carry many special editions.

2) Many of these Dark Souls 2 limited editions were from canceled pre-orders, which means that pre-orders are now no longer a reliable method for determining demand. In other words, retailers have nothing to really go off of when deciding how much to order other than precedent, and considering Fire Emblem, to my knowledge, has never had a limited edition before (outside of console bundles), both retailers and Nintendo are far more likely to guess low and lose potential profit rather than guess high and cost themselves badly.

I won't give you the response of "it's called a limited edition, so it's obviously limited" but I will give you the response of "it's a special edition, so demand will obviously be a fickle thing." If the amiibo fiasco has taught us anything, it's that you should never assume there will be limitless quantities of anything.

You know its fine that its a limited edition. I just want to be told how to order/aquire it so i can at least have a shot at getting it. It was an underhanded way of doing it.

noname2200 said:
Platina said:

Had it been just one game it would have dwarfed any previous version in terms of content though: you'd be paying roughly $0.50 per unique map, for example, where I believe the previous lowest was around $0.85. I see where you're coming from, mind you, but I sincerely doubt Fates would have been as large if it had been just one game: they almost certainly would have roughly halved the available content.

By one game, I don't mean take one route and ignore the other

I mean by combining both versions into one game at the price of one game..

They could have done this, but they split it up to make more money, and that is what I dislike about this

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]