By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I demand a sequel to Xenoblade X!

Do you want a sequel to Xenoblade X?

Yes 128 59.81%

No 26 12.15%

That's a stupid question 15 7.01%

I don't even own that game 13 6.07%

I don't even own a Wii U 13 6.07%

I don't even have a current gen system 5 2.34%

I don't even do gaming 5 2.34%

I just want to wonder why... 9 4.21%

Total:214
curl-6 said:
Nuvendil said:

See I think that's a terrible way to look at XCX's narrative.  The strength of it comes not from big cutscenes telling some linear adventure, it's about the survival of mankind and the challenges faced both personally by your team members and the city of NLA as a whole.  There's not a clean divide between X's core story content and side content a la TES.  It all bleeds together.  Comparisons have been made to Majora's Mask and it's very appropriate.  If you take MM's "core" story you get one of the most barebones (though still charming) stories in Zelda history.  But that would be completely missing the point.  X is the same.  The Affinity missions and even most Normal missions factor into the overall narrative on some level.  The weakness I suppose being that unlike MM which has an ideal experience run time in the tens of hours, X has an ideal experience runtime of over 100 hours :P.

And I felt there was payoff for a lot of things and some great revelations that explain a lot of the circumstances setup at the very opening.  It felt like the season finale of a great show.  One arc raps up (humanity getting settled on Mira, defeating the Ganglion) and then new questions are raised for the next season.  Some people aren't going to like that of course but it's hardly like the game just up and stopped.  It's not like the story just gave up 2/3 of the way through like in Bravely Default.  There are FAR worse endings in RPG history and game history and partial payoff is better than a game just stopping in which I've seen :P

The sidequest stories didn't really do it for me cos I just couldn't summon the will to care about someone's missing cat or their awkward anime-esque relationship problems, I wanted to know more about the other race that fought at Earth, the Tainted, the Telethia, the mystery of Mira, etc.

The cat quest is rather infamous but I honestly didn't mind cause it was honestly ridiculously easy :P.

But the conflict between alien races, a dangerous cult, the conflict between a xenophobic militia and a civil rights activist group.  The interactions with the Orphe I found very interesting.  I also enjoyed seeing glimpses into the personalities of various party members either in the affinity missions or story missions.  Don't get me wrong, I did want to know more about Mira and not every quest is a winner.  But I enjoyed the narrative on the whole.  And I guess I'm less miffed about the cliffhanger since 1) I watch a ton of shows with overarching plots that almost always conclude seasons exactly like this, 2) chapters 11 and 12 were just really, really excellent, and 3) this is Tetsuya freaking Takahashi.  I kinda saw the sequel hook coming almost as soon as we hit Mira and because this is the guy who once tried to do a six part saga.  Not saying he's that crazy every time, but I'm not shocked to see a hook at the end here.

But give how this thread currently is, I'd rather not try to argue here.  I honestly probably shouldn't have even posted :P.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said: the cat quest is rather infamous but I honestly didn't mind cause it was honestly ridiculously easy :P.

But the conflict between alien races, a dangerous cult, the conflict between a xenophobic militia and a civil rights activist group.  The interactions with the Orphe I found very interesting.  I also enjoyed seeing glimpses into the personalities of various party members either in the affinity missions or story missions.  Don't get me wrong, I did want to know more about Mira and not every quest is a winner.  But I enjoyed the narrative on the whole.  And I guess I'm less miffed about the cliffhanger since 1) I watch a ton of shows with overarching plots that almost always conclude seasons exactly like this, 2) chapters 11 and 12 were just really, really excellent, and 3) this is Tetsuya freaking Takahashi.  I kinda saw the sequel hook coming almost as soon as we hit Mira and because this is the guy who once tried to do a six part saga.  Not saying he's that crazy every time, but I'm not shocked to see a hook at the end here.

But give how this thread currently is, I'd rather not try to argue here.  I honestly probably shouldn't have even posted :P.

I agree with you, not with the way you feel about the ending , but with the side missions. Easily my favorite aspect of the game, the are very well developed and some of them present really interesting conflicts. The affinity missions are great well as because I loved the character development of most of the cast.

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

The sidequest stories didn't really do it for me cos I just couldn't summon the will to care about someone's missing cat or their awkward anime-esque relationship problems, I wanted to know more about the other race that fought at Earth, the Tainted, the Telethia, the mystery of Mira, etc.

The cat quest is rather infamous but I honestly didn't mind cause it was honestly ridiculously easy :P.

Some were interesting, I'll agree there, but a lack of voice acting robbed many of the better ones of their potential.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

There are open world games with good stories.

Examples?

Red Dead Redemption comes to mind, much as I hate it overall.

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

I agree in every single way. This game ends on every great note a series ends on (movie or show). We spend a lot of time with the characters, even side characters (and heck even the end guy to an extent) to become invested. It ends with everyone being safe, though not entirely a happy ending.Now, being the most direct threat is gone the second game can focus on digging deeper into the loose threads.

The game only has an unsatisfactory ending if that's meant to be the end of the Xenoblade X story, which I don't think is the case for several reasons.

bigtakilla said:

There are 3 more HUGE questions not mentioned in OP

1: Who is Cross? We got backgrounds on literally everyone else, for the other main 2 (Elma and Lin), we got some pretty extensive backgrounds at that. At some point they are going to have to shed the avatar and give the character some back story. 

2: Who is the guy at the end that took Lao? He looked like Dunban (to an extent as far as we could see, which is not very well), so is he a Hom? Tatsu mentioned homs in the game, so it's not even a leap at all to think there could be some somewhere.

3: What's behind the blinding white light before they landed on planet Mira? Is it time travel? Is it dimensional? 

1. Most likely J-body without implanted memories.

2. This guy:

Around the Network

I'm not going to read this thread because I haven't beat the game yet and don't want any spoilers, but I've been thinking about this.  Would I rather have a direct sequel to XCX set in the same world, but graphically improved for the NX with a much needed stronger story and get it out in a couple years or would I rather have a completely redone world like XC->XCX.  Tbh I'd rather have a direct sequel and then after that make a completely redone world. 

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I'm not going to read this thread because I haven't beat the game yet and don't want any spoilers, but I've been thinking about this.  Would I rather have a direct sequel to XCX set in the same world, but graphically improved for the NX with a much needed stronger story and get it out in a couple years or would I rather have a completely redone world like XC->XCX.  Tbh I'd rather have a direct sequel and then after that make a completely redone world. 

Essentially this. The characters are already introduced, as are the plot points. We already know about the World, and much of the game's lore is fantastic. 

Boberkun said:
bigtakilla said:

There are 3 more HUGE questions not mentioned in OP

1: Who is Cross? We got backgrounds on literally everyone else, for the other main 2 (Elma and Lin), we got some pretty extensive backgrounds at that. At some point they are going to have to shed the avatar and give the character some back story. 

2: Who is the guy at the end that took Lao? He looked like Dunban (to an extent as far as we could see, which is not very well), so is he a Hom? Tatsu mentioned homs in the game, so it's not even a leap at all to think there could be some somewhere.

3: What's behind the blinding white light before they landed on planet Mira? Is it time travel? Is it dimensional? 

1. Most likely J-body without implanted memories.

2. This guy:

1: Maybe, or does Elma have one more secret?....

2: Who is that guy?

bigtakilla said:
maxleresistant said:

-Better UI and menu,

-way less missions, fillers. Quality over quantity

-Sound options

-No more songs with singers, tone it down, make it more like background music.

-Way more songs for each zones/battles etc, the number was fine for a 60h RPG, but not for a game that long

-Easier customisations. There is way too many characters playable, the fact that you have to customize, level up, build affinity for each one of them is an awful awful awful drag.

-Your character should have had more impact on the city, I wished we could have help build and grow NLA. That would have been way better than managing probes...

-No relationships? WTF?

-More customizations for your home (have more of real home)

It honestly seems most of these are personal gripes instead of actual problems with the game. UI (to a degree, I personally don't see the issue) and sound control are the two exceptions. 

And some contradict themselves (you want less filler, but also the ability to help build and grow NLA which you do through leveling researchers, and befriending alien life).

It s not contradictory at all. I said led filler, I didn't say no filler.

There is way too many side quests and yes those side quest brings new people into NLA, but it doesn t have an impact on the buildings, when you start, the game makes you think you ll help the city by expanding it, there is lot of clues to that, most notably the in construction part. But turns out you don't.

Don't tell me the game wouldn't have been better with all the changes I said. Now maybe you are a hardcore JRPG fan, but for a normal player, these change would have been welcomed.

There is a lot of other things that could have been improved, but it's things that I can live with. And the list would be way too long though, this game is far from greatness

Well Moonlight Soft already working on next game, we don't know if is a Xenoblade sequel or something new.