By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of their respective generation and reasons why

I'm omitting PC games in this list.
Pong.
Need no explaining.

Pac Man.

Tough one between Pac Man and Space Invaders, but I think Pac man wins because of how it appealed to all kinds of people.

Tetris/Super Mario Bros

I can't figure out which ones of these was the biggest phenomenon. Super Mario Bros launched the NES and revived console gaming, and appealed to everyone. But Tetris reached an even broader audience than that. Both deserve the "Game of the generation" title for different resons.

Sonic CD.

The best platformer of the 16-bit generation.

Zelda OoT.

Open world gaming done right in 3D. This game was so ahead of its time.

GTA: San Andreas/Vice city.

Can't remember which one I like best, but gen 6 was the GTA era.

Wii Sports.

Never forget! This was the promise of making games fun and innovative again. And if only Nintendo had delivered in the subsequent years, we'd have a very different gaming landscape today.....

The curent gen I have no idea about. It's been so unreasonably boring that I haven't even bothered with buying a console.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

Too many great games in every generation to single one out.

Here you go. This is what people believed to be the "classics" from the 7th generation.
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=211421&page=1

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Under your definition, starting from Gen 3

Gen 3: Super Mario Bros.
Gen 4: Pokemon Red/Blue (Didn't see that coming', didja!?)
Gen 5: Super Mario 64
Gen 6: Gran Theft Auto 3
Gen 7: Wii Sports

hunter_alien said:
Good list and I would mostly agree, with one difference. Change Halo to GTA 3. The formula GTA 3 managed to create is still copied and keeps up the series, growing by every numbered entry. During the 6th generation there where so many GTA copies, that it is mesmerizing, and that trend still goes on.

Halo was not only dethroned in 6 years time, the series is also dwindling in popularity and it quickly became the one which copies from other shooters.

Can I ask how Halo copies others?

People love Halo 5 because its so different from other shooters.

Halo introduced limited gun carrying still used today.

Halo 5 is faster, has better AI, Large sandbox environments and an actual non political modern day story. Its multiplayer also is not a loadout fest shooter like COD, Battlefield.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
KLAMarine said:

You claim you enjoy sales so much but if this site is to be believed, SM64 sold more than FF7. 11.89 million versus 9.72 million, respectively.

What would you make of this?

As I said FFVII basically caused the PS1 to outsell the N64. SM64 might have helped N64 greatly, but FFVII helped more. It was a turning point in the sales competition so to speak.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7679072

If TLDR, should read the 4th graph onwards.

I see. You mention that "SM64 might have helped N64 greatly, but FFVII helped more". I think it is within reason that FF7 at most resulted in the sale of 9.72 million PlayStation consoles versus SM64 resulting in 11.89 million N64s being sold.

KLAMarine said:
Farsala said:

As I said FFVII basically caused the PS1 to outsell the N64. SM64 might have helped N64 greatly, but FFVII helped more. It was a turning point in the sales competition so to speak.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7679072

If TLDR, should read the 4th graph onwards.

I see. You mention that "SM64 might have helped N64 greatly, but FFVII helped more". I think it is within reason that FF7 at most resulted in the sale of 9.72 million PlayStation consoles versus SM64 resulting in 11.89 million N64s being sold.

Its hard to pinpoint the reason for success on the N64. When the PS1 got $100 then $50 pricecut its hardly helped sales, then all of a sudden FF7 is released and its sales skyrocket to never before seen sales. The success of FFVII of course lead to FFVIII and FFIX success. Meanwhile Super mario 64 sadly did not get a sequel.

I didn't start playing till the 7th gen. I did have an original xbox, though I only played Halo CE on it. One of the best games ever. But for the 7th gen, definently 

-COD 4

-Halo 3

-Gears of War

-Mass Effect 1 and 2

-Super Mario Galalxy

-Uncharted 2

-Bioshock

Many more I don't want to list.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Ruler said:

the most objective list 

- Space Invaders

- Super Mario Bros

- Street Fighter 2

- Final Fantasy 7

- Metal Gear Solid 2

- Call of Duty 4

- Destiny 

lol!?

i'll go with the obvious ones

pong
pac man
mario
pokemon
call of duty
wii sport / kinect
minecraft

Farsala said:
KLAMarine said:

Its hard to pinpoint the reason for success on the N64. When the PS1 got $100 then $50 pricecut its hardly helped sales, then all of a sudden FF7 is released and its sales skyrocket to never before seen sales. The success of FFVII of course lead to FFVIII and FFIX success. Meanwhile Super mario 64 sadly did not get a sequel.

Gran Turismo sold more than FF7 so by the same reasoning one could argue GT had a greater impact on PlayStation's sales. The PlayStation's success can be attributed to many releases the likes of FF7 and Gran Turismo.

Whatever the case, when I compared SM64 to FF7, I wasn't looking at sales despite the fact that the sales numbers and attach rate were in SM64's favor. As stated in one of my previous posts, I took a good look at the industry as a whole and at that point in time, the major innovation in that generation was the transition from 2d to 3d. This tipped the scales for SM64 for me seeing as how FF7, being a turn-based game, doesn't exactly take full advantage of the new dimension.

Also, there's just something symbolic about a franchise once so married to 2d so ably transitioning to 3d and taking full advantage of it.