By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of their respective generation and reasons why

I was thinking the other day and I came up with the following list of "GotGs" if you will:

First on the list, Super Mario Bros which is credited with reviving a dead industry. Second, Sonic the Hedgehog which helped establish the Genesis as serious competition for the SNES. Third, SM64 which set a benchmark for transitioning from 2d to 3d. Fourth, Halo CE which put a totally new console on the map. Fifth, CoD4 the effects of which can still be felt to this day...

What do you guys think?

*UPDATE: I want to make something clear here: I didn't pick these games because I really like them, I picked them because they are of great note or played a major role in influencing the industry at the time of their release. I've never played the first Sonic nor CoD4 but they're both very historically significant and influenced the industry at the time of their release. I absolutely love Resident Evil 4 but it did not win a spot in my list since it released so late in the generation, too late for it to have influenced said generation.

This list is more than just "well here are some great games from their generation that I really really liked" which seems to be what people are doing when they provide their list. It certainly helps that a game be great but there should be more to GotGs like helping to establish a new console in the market like Sonic or Halo did, heralding the industry's transition from 2d to 3d like SM64 did, or setting a major trend like CoD4 did.

Around the Network

Probably Zelda, Zelda, Zelda, The Elder Scrolls III, The Elder Scrolls IV, Zelda.

snyps said:
Probably Zelda, Zelda, Zelda, The Elder Scrolls III, The Elder Scrolls IV, Zelda.

I was thinking about how to incorporate PC games into this list but PC gaming doesn't really have generations so sort of tough... That and I'm not terribly familiar with PC gaming in the 80s, 90s, and 00s.

- Pong

- Space Invaders

- Super Mario Bros 3

- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

- Resident Evil 4

- Super Mario Galaxy

- Bayonetta 2 (So far)

the most objective list 

- Space Invaders

- Super Mario Bros

- Street Fighter 2

- Final Fantasy 7

- Metal Gear Solid 2

- Call of Duty 4

- Destiny 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
hmm, I dunno about Super Mario 64, don't think it had that much impact. Would probably go for Final Fantasy 7 instead, it really made the RPG genre huge!

Would also disagree with Halo. Didn't play it until the Xbox 360 re-release so maybe it just never aged well or something but it just isn't that good of a game to me. I'd give it to Grand Theft Auto 3 instead, that game has had a truly huge impact and led to GTA becoming one of the strongest franchises in gaming.

Of course if it was purely down to personal preference I'd go...
5th gen: Final Fantasy 8
6th gen: Final Fantasy 10
7th gen: The Last of Us

When compiling this list, I didn't factor in my own opinions on the game, I just took a look at the industry and the game's impact on said industry. I've never played CoD4 but there's no denying its influence. Halo pushed a new player, the Xbox, into the business and even compelled Sony to come up with a "Halo-killer" despite the market penetration of the ps2. FF7 was in the back of my mind when I chose sm64: the biggest factor in choosing the latter over the former was the fact that the industry at the time was transitioning from 2d to 3d, this was the big thing: 2d to 3d and sm64 alongside the reintroduction of the joystick paved that road. FF7, being turn-based, doesn't exactly take advantage of the extra dimension.

Ruler said:

the most objective list 

- Space Invaders

- Super Mario Bros

- Street Fighter 2

- Final Fantasy 7

- Metal Gear Solid 2

- Call of Duty 4

- Destiny 

How is that any more objective than anyone else's list?

Ruler said:

the most objective list 

- Space Invaders

I have zero experience in pre-NES generations (born in 1989) but no Pac-Man? Tetris? Jump Man?

curl-6 said:
Ruler said:

the most objective list 

- Space Invaders

- Super Mario Bros

- Street Fighter 2

- Final Fantasy 7

- Metal Gear Solid 2

- Call of Duty 4

- Destiny 

How is that any more objective than anyone else's list?

well i tried to be the most objective despite me hating Destiny and Call of Duty, and never playing FF7. These are the most selling and most played games and the most genre defining games who spread many clones and other similiar games. Not an opinion, fact

Mine:

3rd gen - Super Mario Bros.
4th gen - Super Mario World
5th gen - Super Mario 64
6th gen - Halo: Combat Evolved
7th gen - Bioshock/Dark Souls/MGS4/Super Mario Galaxy

bet: lost