By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of their respective generation and reasons why

1st: Pong

2nd: Space Invaders

3rd: Super Mario Bros.

4th: Street Fighter II

5th: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

6th: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

7th: Uncharted (set the standard for cinematic gaming) / Skyward Sword (best overall use of motion controls in a hardcore game) / Super Mario Galaxy (one of the most creative games ever) - Sorry, impossible to pick just one this gen.

8th: Final Fantasy XV?? We'll see about that.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
SvennoJ said:
In my experience:
Gen 7: Tlou. Nothing really jumps out that matches the impact of the previous gens, yet tlou was near cinematic perfection.

You mention impact: CoD4?

Perhaps, it had zero impact on me however :p
Honestly I don't know what's special about CoD4.

SvennoJ said:
More general, if you use Halo to put a new console on the map then Gen 7 is Wii Sports.

Halo's significance was not just the introduction of a new console, it was a new company altogether.

Wii Sports put motion control on the map and ultimately started the demise of the XBox through Kinect. Now that's impact.

SvennoJ said:
Best transition from 2D to 3D was MGS imo. I didn't get along with the camera in SM64 and never made it past the ice world, too slippery and impossible to aim / see where I was going, kept falling off, frustrating.

MGS is certainly another good example but MGS doesn't exactly take advantage of the new dimension like SM64 did.

Compare SM64 speedruns to MGS speedruns. Compare the verticality and acrobatics of SM64 speedruns to MGS speedruns.

While I love Counterstrike speed running, and was pretty good at it myself, SM64 just didn't work for me and I still prefer Mario in 2D as third person jumping seen from an angle makes it hard to judge distance. MGS I would never go back to 2D, hence a better transition imo.
Super Mario 3D didn't really add anything to Mario for me, only made it harder to judge jumps. Not until super mario galaxy was 3D used well in a Mario game.

KLAMarine said:
Cloudman said:
This is truly a hard q. I'd have to look at a large number of games and try to pick one based on factors like: visuals, story, gamplay, etc. I would consider whatever games were considered perfect or the pinnacle of the generation, which would be no easy task..

Try to factor in historical significance. There are plenty games out there that are great but not all of them are groundbreaking, trendsetters, or genre-defining.

Yeah, that's true. Though I also question if games that set standards were overall still well made. An example would be Mario 64, which I think did so for 3D gaming, but I've heard people say Banjo Kazooie managed to improve on that. So I don't know what game I would give it to. I'd need to think it over.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Some more impact full games were of course half-life, changing the way fps were made.

And MGS2, the first true cinematic experience. A friend of mine didn't want to play himself, just wanted to watch me play through it while enjoying it as a movie. A whole industry was born later from watching playthroughs!

Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games, but as a defining point for games as art it's a bit late to the party. The Myst series was more successful and is a much earlier example.

SvennoJ said:

Set a trend for online console shooters.

SvennoJ said:

Wii Sports put motion control on the map and ultimately started the demise of the XBox through Kinect. Now that's impact.

And now Wii Sports is dead (thankfully) but the CoD franchise is still alive and kicking.

SvennoJ said:

While I love Counterstrike speed running, and was pretty good at it myself, SM64 just didn't work for me and I still prefer Mario in 2D as third person jumping seen from an angle makes it hard to judge distance. MGS I would never go back to 2D, hence a better transition imo.
Super Mario 3D didn't really add anything to Mario for me, only made it harder to judge jumps. Not until super mario galaxy was 3D used well in a Mario game.

I understand SM64 was difficult for you but you call MGS 1 a better 2d-to-3d transition when your character in MGS is still very much grounded to a two-dimensional plane much like he was in old 2d Metal Gear games. Not to say Mario wasn't bound to a flat plane as well in SM64 but Mario's verticality had much more emphasis in SM64 than Snake's verticality had in MGS.

Put it this way: 2d mario games allowed movement up, down, left, and right. 2d metal gear games allowed a similar movement scheme: up, down, left, and right atop a map. All could be handled with a d-pad. Transitioning into 3d, much more vertical movement was allowed in SM64. Mario could move in any direction atop a map as well as jump and somersault and a winged hat allowed him to fly about the map in all directions and underwater levels also allowed similar freedom. MGS on PS1 doesn't exactly allow the same freedom of movement vertically and as far as I know, no underwater levels.

Around the Network

I would say SMB1, Sonic 1 and then a tie between SM64 and 007. People forget that Halo wouldn't have happened on console without 007 blazing the trail. After that, I have to go with GTA. Halo was big, GTA was bigger and more ground breaking imo. Sandbox was almost invented by that game whereas Halo was more an evolution of things before it. After that, I'm going to go with Minecraft. COD is huge, and was huge, but Minecraft is even bigger.

Hmmm yeeah it's too difficult to pick just one game a gen, for instance Call of duty 4 defined the pinnacle of consoles shooters, but Wii sports had a huge effect on gen 7 too, paving the way for kinect, and move.

So for me :

Gen 1 : Pong  (played a lot on mums work)
Gen 2 :  Pac Man  (played so much on my uncle house)
Gen 3 : Super Mario bros  (played a lot with my sister and friend, was my first console)
Gen 4 : Civilization  (played for like 5000+ hours)
Gen 5 : Final Fantasy 7  (have buy and finished the game in jap,english & french)
Gen 6 : Everquest  (played this for 6 years every single days)
Gen 7 : Last of us  (one of my top 5 games i played easly !)
Gen 8 : Not over but i would pick disgaea 5 (just because there is so much to do for a tactical rpg but could not win against everquest in gen 6)

KLAMarine said:

SvennoJ said:

Set a trend for online console shooters.

Ah, I don't play those, I guess you mean perks or the level up system?

SvennoJ said:

And now Wii Sports is dead (thankfully) but the CoD franchise is still alive and kicking.

Yet motion control or rather motion tracking paved the way for VR.

SvennoJ said:

I understand SM64 was difficult for you but you call MGS 1 a better 2d-to-3d transition when your character in MGS is still very much grounded to a two-dimensional plane much like he was in old 2d Metal Gear games. Not to say Mario wasn't bound to a flat plane as well in SM64 but Mario's verticality had much more emphasis in SM64 than Snake's verticality had in MGS.

Put it this way: 2d mario games allowed movement up, down, left, and right. 2d metal gear games allowed a similar movement scheme: up, down, left, and right atop a map. All could be handled with a d-pad. Transitioning into 3d, much more vertical movement was allowed in SM64. Mario could move in any direction atop a map as well as jump and somersault and a winged hat allowed him to fly about the map in all directions and underwater levels also allowed similar freedom. MGS on PS1 doesn't exactly allow the same freedom of movement vertically and as far as I know, no underwater levels.

In that case Tombraider applies as well. It did have all that (apart from flying), and call me crazy but I preferred the tank controls.
I would say Tombraider had more impact on games development than SM64. Plus I haven't seen any succesful Mario movies :p
Zelda Oot is my game of that generation anyway, truly something else at the time.

curl-6 said:
Ruler said:

well i tried to be the most objective despite me hating Destiny and Call of Duty, and never playing FF7. These are the most selling and most played games and the most genre defining games who spread many clones and other similiar games. Not an opinion, fact

Street Fighter 2, FF7, MGS2, COD4, and Destiny are actually NOT the highest selling games of their generation, or even their respective consoles, so that's not a fact.

so granturismo made an higher impact than FF7? it barley sold more and made the lesser impact

Street Fighter II sold more than Super Mario World if you count in the Aracdes and how much money they generated, it vastly outsold Nitendos franchises

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Street+Fighter+II&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

Destiny sold the most if you count in all the DLC