By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of their respective generation and reasons why

KLAMarine said:
Ruler said:

the most objective list 

- Space Invaders

I have zero experience in pre-NES generations (born in 1989) but no Pac-Man? Tetris? Jump Man?

Gen 5: FF7, MGS1

Gen 6: GTA SA, MGS3, Resident Evil 4

Gen 7: CoD4, Uncharted 2

Around the Network
Ruler said:
curl-6 said:

How is that any more objective than anyone else's list?

well i tried to be the most objective despite me hating Destiny and Call of Duty, and never playing FF7. These are the most selling and most played games and the most genre defining games who spread many clones and other similiar games. Not an opinion, fact

Street Fighter 2, FF7, MGS2, COD4, and Destiny are actually NOT the highest selling games of their generation, or even their respective consoles, so that's not a fact.

Turkish said:
KLAMarine said:

I have zero experience in pre-NES generations (born in 1989) but no Pac-Man? Tetris? Jump Man?

Any particular reasons? Could you pare down your lists to one game per gen and provide reason for the paring?

3rd gen: Super Mario Bros.
4th gen: Street Fighter II
5th gen: Super Mario 64
6th gen: Grand Theft Auto III
7th gen: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
8th gen: Destiny or The Witcher 3

1st gen: Pong

2nd gen: Pac-Man

3rd gen: Super Mario Bros

4th gen: Super Metroid

5th gen: (probably the best for me, too many great memories) Crash Bandicoot 3

6th gen: Metroid Prime

7th gen: Metroid Prime 3

8th gen: not sure yet

Around the Network

Any reasons for your choices aside from "well I really liked this game so gotg"?

KLAMarine said:
Turkish said:

Any particular reasons? Could you pare down your lists to one game per gen and provide reason for the paring?

FF7 and MGS1: first hollywood like cinematic games and big production values with hollywood grade composers, 1st games heralding new era in gaming

GTA SA, MGS3, RE4: some of the highest scoring and selling games of gen 6 that were most fun, game design would be copied by others well into next gen

Uncharted 2: fun and inspired many TPS games after it

Turkish said:

Uncharted 2: fun and inspired many TPS games after it

I'm trying to think of which TPS you're referring to but I'm drawing a blank.

KLAMarine said:
Any reasons for your choices aside from "well I really liked this game so gotg"?

Not really , I may try to do a list a bit more objective.

In my experience:
Gen 2: Space invaders. The go to game of the time, always fun. True arcade experience.
Gen 3: Jet Set Willy 2. Huge, mysterious, open world in the 80's.
Gen 4: Civilization. Instantly hooked, played for years. (on PC though)
Gen 5: Zelda OOT. Oh the memories are so much better than the real thing.
Gen 6: Everquest. Instantly hooked, played for years. (on PC though)
Gen 7: Tlou. Nothing really jumps out that matches the impact of the previous gens, yet tlou was near cinematic perfection.

More general, if you use Halo to put a new console on the map then Gen 7 is Wii Sports.
Best transition from 2D to 3D was MGS imo. I didn't get along with the camera in SM64 and never made it past the ice world, too slippery and impossible to aim / see where I was going, kept falling off, frustrating.