By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of their respective generation and reasons why

Hard to say.. I know which games I like the most per gen (of the ones I played from) but they are definitely not GoTG overall

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
In my experience:
Gen 7: Tlou. Nothing really jumps out that matches the impact of the previous gens, yet tlou was near cinematic perfection.

You mention impact: CoD4?

SvennoJ said:
More general, if you use Halo to put a new console on the map then Gen 7 is Wii Sports.

Halo's significance was not just the introduction of a new console, it was a new company altogether.

SvennoJ said:
Best transition from 2D to 3D was MGS imo. I didn't get along with the camera in SM64 and never made it past the ice world, too slippery and impossible to aim / see where I was going, kept falling off, frustrating.

MGS is certainly another good example but MGS doesn't exactly take advantage of the new dimension like SM64 did.

Compare SM64 speedruns to MGS speedruns. Compare the verticality and acrobatics of SM64 speedruns to MGS speedruns.

BraLoD said:

6th gen: Shadow of the Colossus
As much as it was a late game and it set not standart for it's own generation, SotC was the game to definitely prove games as a form of art and open way for several deeper attempts and acceptance to the various forms of expression in gaming as a whole, it was not the first artistic game, but it was the one to change a whole concept about videogames in general, after SotC people were much more open to try something different with games.

7th gen: The Last of Us
Again a late game on it's own generation, on a generation completely dominated by the multiplayer focus shift caused by the game the OP picked for this gen, it was the one to finally break it, it again didn't set a standart for its own generation, but it completely changed the one being heavily focused up until them, single player experiences were becoming less and less relevant, and open world and sandbox games more and more the mainstream, while games of Journey were still fighting against that on the SotC art form, The Last of Us captivated alsmot everyone with a focused yet brilliant take on immersion, story telling, character development and the power of videogames to improve on that concept of that videogames are a way more deep platform than most games may make it look like, it has an unique way to deliver a deep experience that set it appart of any other platforms, and that's not only mechanic, but also immersive.

I gave these two games some thought as well and their timing really hurt them: impact is very important to me when I think about GotG and I find it too difficult to argue a game made an impact on their generation when they are released so late in that gen.

5th Gen: Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo

6th Gen: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 3

7th Gen: The Last of Us, Uncharted 2, Call of Duty 4.

8th Gen: The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Rocket League

Started gaming in the 5th gen
5. The Legend of Zelda OoT(N64)
6. Halo 2(Xbox), Soulcalibur(Dreamcast)
7. Gta 4(xb360), Zelda SS(Wii), New Super Mario Bros (DS)

Around the Network

GTA III, PACMAN AND MGS?

Own:Nes,Snes,N64,Gamecube,Wii,WiiU,Gameboy Pocket,Gameboy Advance SP,DS,DSi,3DS XL,Sega Genesis,Sega Dreamcast,PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP,PSVita and Xbox 360.

Looking to get: Original Xbox 

A significant portion of my soul died with the first "SMT X FE" footage reveal.

Add me on PSN: afnanthekooltrex 

Check out my YouTube channel:  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzZ6P0251NWOf7WUTsHmw_Q

kooltrex said:
GTA III, PACMAN AND MGS?

I should reiterate that I'm not picking games because I like them or because I think they're the best game in their generation, I'm picking them because of their impact/influence and historical significance among other factors.

Sadly, some people seem to just be choosing games because they really liked those games.

4th: Super Mario World / Mortal Kombat 3
The first games I ever owned. Both these games actually turned me into a gamer, I spent months with both.

5th: Final Fantasy VII / Metal Gear Solid
Both these games generated immense popularity. Both were innovative, and was a smashing success that put others to shame not just in sales, but also in having a deep storyline.

6th: Shenmue II / Gran Turismo 4
Shenmue was innovative, it did things no one of ever thought of. Shenmue 3 smashes Guinness World Record for fastest video game crowdfunding.

7th: Metal Gear Solid 4 / The Last of Us
Both these games put Hollywood movies to shame.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

This is truly a hard q. I'd have to look at a large number of games and try to pick one based on factors like: visuals, story, gamplay, etc. I would consider whatever games were considered perfect or the pinnacle of the generation, which would be no easy task...

I am certain that in the NES/Matser System gen, Mario Bros 3 is def the GotG of that gen.

After that, I need to stop and think on the other gens...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
This is truly a hard q. I'd have to look at a large number of games and try to pick one based on factors like: visuals, story, gamplay, etc. I would consider whatever games were considered perfect or the pinnacle of the generation, which would be no easy task..

Try to factor in historical significance. There are plenty games out there that are great but not all of them are groundbreaking, trendsetters, or genre-defining.