By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where is the Gears / Uncharted / Tekken 3 of this generation?

I somehow get what you are saying. Last gen defining games for me were COD modern warfare, demon soul's and Uncharted. I also really loved LA Noire and Heavy Rain.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
TimCliveroller said:

Are you really not getting it? It had the spark. I feel like you're trying to find logic flaws everywhere... but there is not - and there is not when you see the spark. When that game came out people had erractions (as in real ones... there's a youtube video I think about it)

First - I can't find a flaw in "logic". Second, this is the third time you've been unable to answer my questions without some unnecessary commetn(s). Leave them out.

Now, to the point, "it hit the spark" how? What did it change? Who was inspired by it? What did it do for the genre that others tried to mimic? I ask because there are others in the genre (the 3D fighting sub-genre, not the fighting genre overall) that I feel did much more, such as Tekken and Virtua Fighter.

It made you think about the gen that was to come as a worthy one... you see, I feel like this gen is the menopause of gaming - no spark, no  .

I think you are trying to mic drop me but you cannot perform a mic drop if the mic is not plugged; and I've already told you that I love you.

Ex Graphics Whore.

Nautilus said:
TimCliveroller said:

Are you really not getting it? It had the spark. I feel like you're trying to find logic flaws everywhere... but there is not - and there is not when you see the spark. When that game came out people had erractions (as in real ones... there's a youtube video I think about it)

You dont.... make much sense.Its like if someone asked you "what is 1+1 equal to?" and you answer:" its like when two universes collides and and comets fly everywhere!"You just dont give a straight answer.

To the post at hand, from what I gather, is that you dont think there is a game int hsi genre that makes you say  OH MY GOSHHHH, like Ocarina of time did to me.The problem with your reasoning is that that is subjective.While you may find the game bad, others may find it awesome.In that sense, you will never arrive at the answer you want

Well, you see - there is a point where some games reach critical mass - they beat the aging process, they beat the graphical errudites, they beat the standard reviews, they transcend consumerism, yet they sell well enough - they become collectively special (no denying there is a threshold to it - but you cannot define it: only the hearts of people and money spent by collectors could do it). Then, somekind of magic link is created between those games and their corresponding generation of consoles - and bang - there you have it - the unit

Ex Graphics Whore.

Hiku said:
TimCliveroller said:

DOAX3 will redefine the beach-minigames-with-scantily-clad-ladies genre in a profound way, and I'm sure some people will have "erractions" as well.

From what I gather from your list, since you're ruling out Call of Duty, and listing Soul Calibur instead of Tekken 3 for example, based on "spark", that's something that's pretty subjective.

Dont forget the groundbreaking jiggling mechanics that the game will have.This will forever change how we see female protagonists in games

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

TimCliveroller said:
Nautilus said:

You dont.... make much sense.Its like if someone asked you "what is 1+1 equal to?" and you answer:" its like when two universes collides and and comets fly everywhere!"You just dont give a straight answer.

To the post at hand, from what I gather, is that you dont think there is a game int hsi genre that makes you say  OH MY GOSHHHH, like Ocarina of time did to me.The problem with your reasoning is that that is subjective.While you may find the game bad, others may find it awesome.In that sense, you will never arrive at the answer you want

Well, you see - there is a point where some games reach critical mass - they beat the aging process, they beat the graphical errudites, they beat the standard reviews, they transcend consumerism, yet they sell well enough - they become collectively special (no denying there is a threshold to it - but you cannot define it: only the hearts of people and money spent by collectors could do it). Then, somekind of magic link is created between those games and their corresponding generation of consoles - and bang - there you have it - the unit

And again, that is subjective.There is a game I love until this day, since the first time I played as a child.The name is The King of Dragons, from Capcom.Its an extremely unknown game, and yet that game defines what a beat-em up should be like for me.

While I do agree that certain games receive a more universal aclaim, like FFX and Chrono Trigger and so on, you wont reach a concensus here or in any other place that there is or there isnt a game that made people goosebump when they played it.If I were to say, The Witcher 3 did that to me for gen 8 (and probably Xenoblade Chronicles X when I FINALLY manage to get back to my Wii U to play it)

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Hiku said:
TimCliveroller said:

DOAX3 will redefine the beach-minigames-with-scantily-clad-ladies genre in a profound way, and I'm sure some people will have "erractions" as well.

From what I gather from your list, since you're ruling out Call of Duty, and listing Soul Calibur instead of Tekken 3 for example, based on "spark", that's something that's pretty subjective.

You do not buy console for tekken, you want to buy console for Soul Calibur... even if you switch sides - that is the game that made you do it. You too are too picky about my examples (SC)... Have you seen SC when it came out?

Ex Graphics Whore.

Nautilus said:
TimCliveroller said:

And again, that is subjective.There is a game I love until this day, since the first time I played as a child.The name is The King of Dragons, from Capcom.Its an extremely unknown game, and yet that game defines what a beat-em up should be like for me.

While I do agree that certain games receive a more universal aclaim, like FFX and Chrono Trigger and so on, you wont reach a concensus here or in any other place that there is or there isnt a game that made people goosebump when they played it.If I were to say, The Witcher 3 did that to me for gen 8 (and probably Xenoblade Chronicles X when I FINALLY manage to get back to my Wii U to play it)

There is no subjective in this; there is only threshold - hard to define, yet it is

Ex Graphics Whore.

Why are you defending this generation? Strictly for political correctness?

Ex Graphics Whore.

Bloodborne? It might be much like the Souls series but Naughty Dog and Epic games worked on 3rd person game play and shooters before as well.

The Order 1886 and Titanfall were supposed to be big hits and one of them was. Driveclub is great. Until Dawn is great. Splatoon. Tearaway ()

And that is just first party. Many more 3rd party games on top of it.

Two issues with this thread - one almost needs to consider what games qualify as generation-defining AFTER the generation is finished, and there's probably not ever going to be a consensus except for the very obvious titles.

Thus far, I count Destiny, Dying Light, Bloodborne, and Witcher 3 as defining titles of 8th gen. A number of titles due later this year have a chance of making the cut.