By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where is the Gears / Uncharted / Tekken 3 of this generation?

ReimTime said:
The Witcher 3 you silly goose.

The goose part - I dont like, I'd rather go with fucker. WItcher 3 - I love, great game (best so far for me) - but sequel + really not it.

Ex Graphics Whore.

Around the Network

Bloodborne, Splatoon, Rocket League, Witcher 3. Coming: The Last Guardian, Quantum Break, Horizon. Any of those work? There might be more, but I don't know too much.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Rocket League, obvi

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

CGI-Quality said:
TimCliveroller said:

Experience, and I somehow have the feeling that you value that.

My values aren't really in question here. Point - his age shouldn't matter when giving a view of the current cycle. As he noted, your example of a defining game doesn't mean it's the same as his. Nothing wrong with that.

As yet I was referencing Gears / Uncharted ... not current cycle, I think.

Ex Graphics Whore.

CGI-Quality said:
And when talking "genre defining", what exactly are you looking for?

I bet you can give me one title / gen / console / first 2 years. I'm quite certain you know what I'm thinking of, and still you want me to write it blank and simple.

Ex Graphics Whore.

Around the Network
TimCliveroller said:
ReimTime said:
The Witcher 3 you silly goose.

The goose part - I dont like, I'd rather go with fucker. WItcher 3 - I love, great game (best so far for me) - but sequel + really not it.

Ah I see what you mean now. Well in terms of genre-defining new IPs, I think that Kojima very well could have a say in it.

VR shows promise too; as long as it is continually supported we could get some great IPs out of that field.

Other than that I'm not sure. Quantam Break, Splatoon and Horizon are new IPs yet to be able to differentiate them from other existing IPs within their genre they need to be distinct. Splatoon was a sales success, was fairly unique in its concept and will probably have a sequel, so it applies. QB and HZD I am a little unsure of right now; it will depend entirely on the execution IMO

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Mario Maker can be gen defining if you ask me. It brought the Mario legacy to the players, and Nintendo (that has been so anti-consumer when it comes to streaming and Youtube) made the game pretty much compatible for Twitch and Youtube. It also is one huge step for the game developers of the future.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:
Mario Maker can be gen defining if you ask me. It brought the Mario legacy to the players, and Nintendo (that has been so anti-consumer when it comes to streaming and Youtube) made the game pretty much compatible for Twitch and Youtube. It also is one huge step for the game developers of the future.

He said graphics, Mario Maker has 30 year old graphics, it's also only available on the least selling platform.

TimCliveroller said:
CGI-Quality said:
And when talking "genre defining", what exactly are you looking for?

I bet you can give me one title / gen / console / first 2 years. I'm quite certain you know what I'm thinking of, and still you want me to write it blank and simple.

I'm quite certain you know 1. the industry has becoming more risk averse because people like you didn't buy enough games 2. no one knew if there was gonna be enough demand for new consoles after the mobile craze and wii u flop 3. it takes more time to create games with each gen so greenlighted games after the ps4 success only start to come out now slowly, and still you want to make a thread about not having a "new" 3rd person shooter that plays like Uncharted/Gears with a different skin.

I also don't think any game in the first 2 years ever defined an entire gen. Last gen we had Uncharted 1, AssCreed and Mass Effect 1, both had already been terribly aged by the time the sequels came out.

Ka-pi96 said:
Turkish said:

He said graphics, Mario Maker has 30 year old graphics, it's also only available on the least selling platform.

Don't see why that should prevent it from being a gen defining game. OP considers Gears/Uncharted to have been gen defining and one of them was on the lowest selling platform too...

Still 8x more than the Wii u. The majority doesn't care about the wii u so whatever is on that system will never be gen defining.