By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WWWW: What's Wrong With Wii?

vanguardian1 said:
When you switch to the gamecube mode, the wii's own hardware differences aren't accessible to the gamecube software. I don't know if it could be updated to, or perhaps it's a hardware incompatibility.

Supposedly they did it to prevent that Gamecube hacking, of the Datel kind (Freeloader, Action Replay), would work on Wii-mode. I still have to say it sucks.

It sucks that I have to use a Gamecube controler when a Classic one would do (cause they're more money, cause they're ugly, cause they're wired, cause the ports are in a stupid place - I know about the Wavebird, still sucks), and it sucks that I have to buy another memory card (when an SD is so damn cheap). It definitly does suck bad that it was done cause of piracy. I'm all for preventing piracy, but not when restrictions cause significant hindrances. Not when it could have been done with a software hypervisor of some sort.

As of right now, it's great for someone who already has a Gamecube, and all its accessories, and that's great. But it does nothing to get me to buy Gamecube games. I'm actually hopping they make ports and best-of compilations, whether with or without motion sensing. There are great Gamecube games around, I missed them, they're cheap, I'm cheap - it'd be a perfect relationship. I also like the Wii design and think the Gamecube controlers don't fit.

Actually, for gamers that did not own the previous iterations, I think the PS3 and the 360 do much better in this department. And truth is, if the Wii sells upwards of 40 million units, it's a given that the majority of gamers that'll have bought it missed on the Gamecube.

vanguardian1 said:
The Wii uses a modified processor from the same family of processors as the gamecube uses, just the fastest model (with some other significant improvements) with a die shrink and clock speed increase as well. To change to a faster processor would require a change of proecessor architectures, creating a lot of hassles for backwards compatibility, as well as heat and power consumption as well. If you read the interviews, Iwata himself gave the Nintendo engineers a stack of 3 dvd-cases and told them that he didn't want the unit any bigger than that. I'd say they got pretty damned close. :) Just remember that every time you change something on the Wii's design, it's going to have a significantly negative effect on several other aspects of it's overall package in comparison to it's current hardware configuration. The Wii's appeal isn't just for show, it's rather an impressive combination of several design factors that the 360 and PS3 completely ignored, thus why many people are calling the Wii "the new ipod", it's not just looks that cause that. :)

Well, the Brodway CPU is believed to be of the PowerPC 750CL line, an evolved version of the 750CXe line the Gekko belonged to. The 750CL like has speeds of up to 1Ghz, so it could definitely be faster. It could probably be multicore too, and that's the avenue they're likely to use in the future if they want to keep the same kind of backward compatibility. So, it wouldn't require a change at all to be quite a little bit better.

But it's all trade offs (heat, size...), and that's what engineering is all about... And it does look great, and that's part of why Gamecube controllers suck (specially white brand ones), just like crappy accessories look even uglier on an iPod.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network

Maybe the Wii II will drop support for GC discs, and instead allow for digital distribution of GC titles (maybe even with software emulation if necessary). I have a heap of GC games (30?), but very, very rarely play them on my Wii. Half of the attraction of the device is its "ease of use" (i.e. lazy game switching from the couch) - having to use a plugged in controller, and actually get up to change games... its just not on!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
Maybe the Wii II will drop support for GC discs, and instead allow for digital distribution of GC titles (maybe even with software emulation if necessary). I have a heap of GC games (30?), but very, very rarely play them on my Wii. Half of the attraction of the device is its "ease of use" (i.e. lazy game switching from the couch) - having to use a plugged in controller, and actually get up to change games... its just not on!

shams maybe the Wii 2 could just come with one of those reacher-grabbers that old people use. then you could just change the game from the couch.

http://www.productsforseniors.com/prodimages/hea168.jpg

Well, I must say this is the best Wii thread ever.  Actually acknowledging problems with the system...kudos.  A lot of these problems have been the cause of me delaying my Wii purchase.  Super Strikers will likely put me over the edge, but we'll see. 

Around the Network

What corners are you referring to, legend11? I think the Wii has an excellent overall design. :) 

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

I wish that the wiimote had a built in dock for the classic controller. so that the wiimote is not dangling around when you use the classic controller

Graphics I think are easily more than good enough, at least for now. I watched the opening cut scene in Ultamate Alliance and I must say, its amazing. People act like Nintendo went back to pixles or something. Nintendo did indeed make a sinificant improvement in graphics over any of the last consoles.

Cord for wiimote to nuncuck is definatly annoying at times. How hard would it be to make a wireless nunchuck? receiver plugged into wiimote then an exrta heave nunchuk with bateries.

I really cant think of anything else, although Im sure there is more.  Online play needs to improve, but this is more of a "cut us loose, nintendo" thing rather than the wii isnt capable thing.  Nintendo just needs to stop holding back. itll start with Excite truck 2 and red steal 2.

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.

shams said:

Although Sony hasn't done it in the EU, they managed to put PS1 titles on PSN, so with storage getting bigger, and internet connections getting faster there is no reason why Nintendo couldn't do that with GC games, but from the sounds of it it doesn't sound like you can change the internal SD card (or can you?).

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Well, let me think about this. Wireless Wiimote and Nunchuck x4 x 2. I would need 16 rechargeable batteries??? WTH. Not really, though. I actually only have two Chucks. so it would be around 12. Thats alot, though. Ill keep the wired nunchuck, tyvm.