By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WWWW: What's Wrong With Wii?

Well on the graphics and sound thing, I would have preferred them to be better like everyone else. However, I much more prefer being able to buy a system and game for less than $300 so it doesn't bother me too much. They could have put more power in it even at $250 but Nintendo is a company and need to profit if they are going to make games for me to play so oh well.

There are some small changes that would be useful for the Wii mote, maybe make a little shorter, add a 3 button, make the attachment cord longer. My problem with the motion controls varies by the game. I love it in Wii Sports, Excite Truck, Godfather, hate it in Tiger Woods and Wii Play. It's early so devs were learning how to use them so it's cool (sort of like the terrible 3D games from a decade ago).

The battery life is horrible but I don't mind since my brother is a manager at a distribution center for a large chain of electronics stores. I can get an 80-pack of dicontinued batteries for a buck, amongst other extremely cheap electionics, from him. Should I not have that option I would have prefered some sort of rechargeable battery pack be included but they aren't too expensive so it's not a major issue.

Otherwise my main complaint is the blue slot light only lights up for updates. It looks really cool, I wish it lit up all the time.

Around the Network

I don't care about graphics or sound myself. Online I'm really pissed about. There's no excuse for having a separate friend code for every single game rather than just using the single Wii code except that they only let you store 100 Wii friends and this way I guess you could get more friends overall that are unique to each game. Still a stupid solution. Wiimote calibration can be done on the game level, I think Zelda had a setting for this. Not really a big deal for me as it'll never be 100% point-to-point anyway. Allowing some kind of external storage via the USB is a must but Nintendo is deathly scared of piracy which is why I think everything is so restrictive, also stupid. I get a stupid black hole problem where I turn on the Wii and the first time I go into a channel the screen will go black while it waits 1-2 minutes doing god knows what kind of loading thing. DVD player I don't really care about but it'd be nice if it were possible to offer as a channel upgrade for sale or even a USB dongle to activate the drive or whatever. Those are my main complaints, all are fixable but I don't think any of them will be.

I only have one major issue with the Wii, and its something that Nintendo is going to have to address in the next 12-18 months:

- the 512MB internal flash memory is simply not large enough. They either need to update the BIOS such that memory on a SD-card can be used in an identical fashion to internal flash memory, add support for a USB hard disk, release an updated Wii model (4Gig or more internal flash), etc.

The internal memory as it stands is fine for VC titles - but nothing else. Downloadable songs at 4MB (or more) a pop will fill the memory in no time. Guitar Hero, Rock Band, High School Musical (etc..) - are all going to support downloadable songs.. (?).

It also makes video virtually impossible to download/store on the Wii.

It also provides a major roadblock for developers wanting to release original downloadable titles on the Wii. If the maximum size allowed matches the size of a large N64 cart (32MB -> 256Mbit), 16 titles would fill 100% of available memory. The "re-download" system only works so well.

The simplest solution is an "automatic" caching system using the SD card (handled by the BIOS transparently):

1/ Check to see if the content is on in the internal memory directory structure (if not, not available)

2/ If it is, and the actual data is stored in the memory - done

3/ Check SD card - if its not on it, maybe the user has switched cards - prompt them to insert the right card (or abort)

4/ Copy the data from the SD card back to the internal memory (so apps can use it as normal) **

5/ If necessary, make room on the internal memory for this data. This may involve copying (other) data from the internal memory to the SD card, then deleting it... to make room. This would involve using a last used/least used algorithm to work out the best data to copy**

6/ Once the required data is present in the internal memory - no worries!

(** - this is the key. All application data on the SD card needs to be encrypted in a way that is extremely difficult to crack, and it unreadable by other Wiis.

I imagine that every Wii will have an internal ID/key that can be used as an encryption key to mangle any data, and make it unreadable for other Wiis. Otherwise you could download a game, copy it to your SD card and be able to use this SD card in other Wiis to play/copy the same game.

No big deal really - I'm fairly sure Nintendo are already using a similar method. The key is making it transparent to applications and easy to use).

EDIT - yeah, different friend codes for every game is pretty much insane. Not sure why this is needed - surely the system based Wii code is good enough? Its not llike the DS where you jump around to play on different Wiis?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Slayer of God said:
Already have batteries and a charger. I'm just saying that nintendo should have an answer for that. Its just extra cash consumers have to dish out so that they can keep playing Wii.

People have got to get their minds made up. When it's a proprietary solution, it's bad; when it's not, it's bad too. A pack of 4 white brand bateries that last me way over a week on the remote with one charge costs around €10 around here - with a charger included. I myself used some old worn out bateries from my camera that still last about a week per charge (they lasted like 15min on the camera).

So I really don't get what's the big deal with this. If it came with an internal Lithium-ion battery, the remote would be more expensive, the battery would wear out with time, be basically unreplaceable unless serviced, and require a cord to charge.

As to the rest. Graphics, yep 720p would be nice, even if only on the Internet Channel, but 480p will do. What I really would like, graphics wise, was some cool upscaling on VC games. Sound, Dolby Surround with a Pro Logic IIx decoder is fine by me. Really, it is. Per game friend codes suck, but I do understand them. I'd rather have per game rosters, though, where I could pick a set of friends from my Wii friends list (all authorized by both parties), without the hassle of repeated  codes. Also Nunchuk is too light, and the cord too short. But my biggest issues are: a) space and b) the shop.

The Shop interface sucks, it's easy to redo (it's a freakin web page!), and needs to be redone - with hundreds of titles available it's just going to get worse. Not complaining about the credit card stuff, I don't charge very often, and use different (temporary) credit cards for each purchase. Just the way the games are displayed. Thats no way to display close to 100 games now!

Half a GiB is not good enough. The Wii must be able to use the SD card. I really don't care that stuff is encrypted in the SD card, and is slower than it should be. If that's the excuse, well, DRM cannot be such an hindrance. Just make it work, like a cache, whatever. Don't know, don't care. I know I have to pay for my own SD card, and I'm glad it's an el cheapo SD card, not some proprietary thing. But to me, with the VC, games saves, and when more Wii software come's out, 2.5GiB will be the minimum tolerable amount.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

My dislikes 1. no built in (but changeable) li-ion batteries. 2. friend code system, should just use regular ole screen names.

Around the Network

my gripe what is up with the white only classic controller/nunchuk..the analog sticks get dirty and stick out like a sore thumb..well to me. i want the black wii mote and accessories

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Graphics: Thisrealy could be better, I hope metroid will rase the bar. I wonder If crap graphix are a rusult of the games being designed for a more powerfull console and then have to be dumbed down (Sory I have no idea what the techinical tterm is) Games: So getting pissed with a few mates and playing Rayman Rabbits is insanely fun, even the third time round. Right that done and now I need more than Zelda and a string of bad imports to keep me happy. Internet: Its a console, Im happy with Oprah, it can do youtube and mail. Controls: Great first try. Batteries: Ebay - chagibles and charges very cheap. Nunchuck: WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THE WIRE!?!?! I go berseek and end up whipping myself something savage with that bloody wire. Calibration: Please god make nentendo let you calibrate the pointer. DVD player: Was it not suppost to be a HD DVD in the early stages, that would be great, Oh well mabe for Wii2 OK now lets get some bashing, its funny

My father had a profound influence on me - he was a lunatic

ya?...... the Oprah Winfrey browser....... im happy with it too

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Re the charger. I have no problems with getting my own rechargeables. NiMH is fine. The irritant is the inconvenience of swapping the batteries around. I'd like a built in charging dock of some kind. And (at least in the UK) the manual says NOT to use rechargeables. Which I ignore for the sake of not buying ludicrous numbers of batteries.

gentian said:
I think that sensitivity setting on the Wii is for how bright the sensors are detected at. I don't think it affects the size as such (though it is possible that if you turn up the sensitivity it assumes the tv is further away.) If you turn on the sensitivity thing then you see spots on the screen corresponding to the IR lights of the sensor bar. The idea is to make sure there are no others on the screen -- I guess if you have reflections or the sun or other false positives.
You could be right, if there is too much light then there will be a third or more dots.  It seems to me though that changing those settings will change the sensitivity of of the pointer.  Maybe I'm just imagining things.