By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WWWW: What's Wrong With Wii?

What's Wrong With Wii?

There does seem to be an awful lot of Wii love on these forums, and to be clear right out the gate I am a part of it.    I love it to bits and have no plans to buy the other consoles.

But there are some things wrong with Wii, and I'd be interested in a discussion on it.    I'm more interested in things as they are now, so less interested in old things (like straps.) 

I'll start off with some things.   

Graphics: not a lot to say here.  But nicer graphics would have been nice and could have been done, right?     And if it could output 720p that would have been nice for the web browser and stuff even if it couldn't be done in most games during gameplay. 

Games: some major games are coming a lot later than we would like (SSBB, Metriod, Mario Galaxy).   

Internet:   It's rubbish just now.   

Controls: to date there isn't too much in controls that has excited me.   Apart from Wii Sports, which is a given.    Little moments have (e.g. air in Excite truck) but the opportunity hasn't been taken yet to get you into the game imho.    To be fair Matt at IGN says it is coming   (http://wii.ign.com/mail/index.html May 18 first answer.)  

Batteries:   It really eats em and god help you if you believe that you are not allowed to use rechargeables.   Why wasn't there a charging solution out of the box?

Nunchuck:   The thing itself is ok but what's with the wire to the Wiimote?    It stings when the wire starts to resonate and bashes your chin.  It makes flailing both arms impossible.   I know it's to keep costs down and use only one batch of batteries, but it's a pity.

Calibration:  It's a real pity that you can't calibrate the pointer.  As it stands the size of your tv is irrelevant.    I'm amazed there's nothing to tell you to point at the four corners etc.     It would improve all use of the remote as a mouse.

Buttons:  I love the big A and trigger B button.    But when I play Excite Truck my right thumb ends up with a mark for the 2 button (you hold the mote sideways and 2 is the accelerator.)    For games which use this sideways hold I think the buttons aren't great.   

DVD player:  Not a big deal, and at the time I wouldn't have played $1 more for it.   But then we moved it to the den where we didn't have a DVD player so it would be nice.  And it's odd because it fits perfectly with the channels interface idea, and you wouldn't need a separate remote as a Wiimote interface would have been a doddle.  

Stand for the stand:  This is getting trivial now, but a stand for a stand?   And it means that it uses up more real estate than it looks like it is.  

I think I've made more points than I expected, and I bet there are more to be made.  

It would be great if we could do this without either Wii bashing or anything else bashing.   Let's see. 

Around the Network

I'll try to address all of your areas of concern with my opinions and then add my own areas if i can think of anymore. Graphics: For the most part agreed. I'm still living in the past though and would love to see a lot more 2-Dimensional animated games. Not a whole lot of 3-D games have impressed me (Graphic-wise). Games: I would have also liked at least one other big title closer to the start of its life. Zelda was finished within the week i got the system and even though i put quite a bit of time into some of the other titles (Also got Excite Truck, Tony Hawk's DJ, and Rayman) it wasn't really what i was looking for. All 3 titles you mentioned though i am definately looking forward to. They just can't come soon enough. Internet: Agreed. Rubbish. Controls: Like you said "little moments". The novelty of the Wii-mote has all ready worn off in my eyes. I'm looking forward to Metroid, RE: Umbrella Chronicles and possibly Mario (don't know a lot about these controls yet) to refresh the controller. Batteries: I still can't beleive there is no Nintendo brand charger pack. It's disgusting. Nunchuck: I wish there was more length in the cord too. During a couple of the mini-games in Rayman it felt constricted. I have also noticed the Nunchuck being less responsive than the Wii-mote when it comes to certain games. in particular Wii Boxing and Zelda. Both have given me problems. Calibration: I had never thought of a calibration setting. I dont see why they couldnt do it. I havn't had any serious problems with the pointer yet but if this would be something to improve the system i'm all for it. Buttons: This is one of the sections that i dont agree with you. i've found the side-ways holding for racing games pretty comfortable. DVD player: I think this is only going to affect a very small portion of Wii owners. not enough to be considered a big problem. Stand for the stand: I cannot really comment on this as i dont use the stand at all. Now for my own Sell your damn Accessories at retail level: After owning my Wii for about a month after launch my cat chewed through my sensor bar cord. EB games kept telling me that in 2 weeks they would be selling them in store (I didnt not have access to a credit card at the time to purchase a new sensor off of the website). they said 2 weeks more about 5 times until i finally gave up on the and got access to a credit card. Very frusterating as i couldnt really play wii for like 3 months. I tried with the candles and it kinda worked but was very touchy at times. Also kinda upset that they didnt sell the Component Cables in store until just recently. I would have definately picked one up at launch. Fix your Wii Channels with the constant system updates: I havnt been able to log onto the shopping channel since early january. I looked through forums for assistance and it seems like a lot of people were having the same problem. I did eventually fix it and then two weeks later it stopped letting me access it again and the same method i fixed it with before was now not working. Sensor Bar Sticky thing: I just bought a new 42" LCD TV and dont wish to stick the sensor bar too it. i just want an alternate method to keep my sensor bar firmly placed on top of my TV. Price of Wii-motes: It just hurts to pay more for a controller (Wii-mote plus Nunchuck) than a game. Hurts a lot. Thats all i can think of for now. Ill post again if i remember any others. I still love my Wii and didnt actually realize that there were so many things about it that frusterated me until i was writing this. oh well still got my NES. plus as soon as a few more decent titles come out ill be in love with it just like it was brand new again.

I thought of one more to add. Online: I personally am very against online about 90% of the time. I very rarely get the urge to play anything online but for those few times when i want to play something online i can see those friend codes discuraging me. I highly doubt ill play the wii online at all unless they can make it much less of a hassle for someone like myself who will very rarely use this kind of feature.

the battery thing i don't mind cause you can get your own rechargable batteries. meaning DON'T HAVE TO REALY ON NINTENDO TO PROVIDE ME A REPLACEMENT AT A OVERPRICED SUM. Some other things I hate. It should of outputed atleast 720p. I know gfx don't matter as much as gameplay but it would of been nice to get a decent gfx upgrade. I'm prett sure 720p woudlnt of cost them that much more. Audio no 5.1 No external hdd support (i want to be able to play my vc games of external eventually, listen to mp3s, watch xvid dvix files etcc) Brings me to my next point no xvid or divx support. Stupid lame friend codes. Should of jsut copied microsoft and used game tags. I'm all for the wii code cause I don't want spam from random people. However i would like to challenge them online without the need of friend codes. A VC channel or a Channel for each classic system then when you enter it you get the list of VC games for that system. ANNOYING HAVING A WHOLE CHANNEL FOR 1 VC GAME. The ability to save state in a VC game then load it at that point. Most the things I mentioned above are easily doable in firmware revision so lets hope they do some of it.

I'm not too worried about the graphics. I think the graphics the PS2 can do are more than adequate for my tastes, and the Wii has potential to go above the PS2 for graphical horsepower so I'm willing to wait on that end to see how it turns out. I don't care for seeing pores and free flowing hair and all that other overhyped graphic stuff. It just seems trivial to me to want to play a game that tries to mimic real life. Games I can agree on. There aren't a lot of titles I want, but I'll just have to wait. I won't complain when a lot of solid content comes out for the DS and even the PS2 still. Internet? I use a computer for that.... :P Controls are still young and haven't matured yet. I'm sure a lot of people had issues when we went from D pad to analog stick, but it's now a standard. The Wiimote may be a bit more advanced than that, but I'm sure we'll be seeing some games that really put it to use that will blow our minds away. Nintendo should offer a Wiimote 2, comes with a rechargeable lithion battery and a stand and retails for a bit more than the standard Wiimote. Rest doesn't matter to me except the DVD player. Unless they're offering a complete region free dvd player with DIVX, I don't care. :P

Around the Network
gentian said:

Calibration: It's a real pity that you can't calibrate the pointer. As it stands the size of your tv is irrelevant. I'm amazed there's nothing to tell you to point at the four corners etc. It would improve all use of the remote as a mouse.
I could be wrong about this, but if you go to Wii Settings, navigate to the sensor bar options, and then go to sensitivity, you can roughly change the sensitivity of the pointer.  Its not  exact and may not change the gameplay much at all, but if I am right then you should be able to adjust it to be closer to your tv size. 

Its got Dolby Pro Logic 2 though :P i know its prolly not as good, but better than nothing lol. If u have problems with the batteries, buy some rechargeable batteries and a charger :P

Already have batteries and a charger. I'm just saying that nintendo should have an answer for that. Its just extra cash consumers have to dish out so that they can keep playing Wii. Both the 360 and the PS3 wireless controllers came with cable to charge them (even if the PS3 one is like 2 feet long so its next to impossible to charge it and play at the same time).

I think that sensitivity setting on the Wii is for how bright the sensors are detected at. I don't think it affects the size as such (though it is possible that if you turn up the sensitivity it assumes the tv is further away.) If you turn on the sensitivity thing then you see spots on the screen corresponding to the IR lights of the sensor bar. The idea is to make sure there are no others on the screen -- I guess if you have reflections or the sun or other false positives.