By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First 10 Weeks Sales: SFV (PS4) -VS- ROTTR (X1) - VGC Data

Tagged games:

Choose wisely!

Street Fighter V (PS4) 145 43.15%

Rise of the Tomb Raider (X1) 191 56.85%

Total:336
Swordmasterman said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Didn't that guy leave after 10 years in that position? Also, he apparently quit but you assume he was fired for RotTR.

He now works for one of the Studios who make Call of Duty i don't know if he is in charge of something.

Well there ya go. That sounds like a big opportunity financially and maybe he can help do something unique with the IP.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

See guys?! that Tomb Raider deal wasn't so bad huh?

I;d go with TR since it's going to be on 3 platforms while SFV was only on two, if Capcom don't change that tune soon then I can see SFV having worse numbers, TR will just climb with time. Also lets not forget that TR was well received on both PC/Xbox while SFV was well received on PS4 and not so much on PC, the longevity numbers for SFV on PC will be hampered thanks to the low content and how it generally started out along with word of mouth, TR on the other hand has none of those issues.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

I;d go with TR since it's going to be on 3 platforms while SFV was only on two, if Capcom don't change that tune soon then I can see SFV having worse numbers, TR will just climb with time. Also lets not forget that TR was well received on both PC/Xbox while SFV was well received on PS4 and not so much on PC, the longevity numbers for SFV on PC will be hampered thanks to the low content and how it generally started out along with word of mouth, TR on the other hand has none of those issues.

Regarding the Sales the game was well received on PC you cannot expect much from a plataform where the best selling fighting game sold 650-700 Thousands life-time.

Street Fighter V will have 5-6 years of support the one who will climb with time is Street Fighter and not Tomb Raider, if Tomb Raider will surpass the Life-time sales of Street Fighter V, it need to do much well now.

Even when Xbox 360 had much more ground on USA than the PS3 the PS3  still sold more copies of Street Fighter 4 even on USA, we are talking about how much copies lost from Xbox ? 200-300 Thousands ?, would it really be worth to lost a Deal to sell this low on Xbox ?.

I Don't think that the Street Fighter's fanbase is on Xbox, while with Tomb Raider the PC and the Playstation's fanbase were Neck to Neck in the sales of the previous game.

Just because Capcom plans to support SFV for awhile doesn't mean gamers will run out and buy the game. Many here justified the exclusive deal with Capcom's supposed dire financial straits, with the game failing to meet Capcom's expectations sales wise I'm not sure how they continue supporting it for years. They're going to fall back on their word about not making any Super Duper editions. It might stay off the Xbone console, but those releases are coming. There's no other way for them to recapture the casual masses who have shunned the initial release.

You only get one chance with those people and they are either interested, or they aren't. And good support after release doesn't mean much, look at Driveclub or the Xbox One. TR will get a large shot in the arm this year when it releases on PS4. SFV sales in the future as Capcom continues to support it will be heavily discounted copies and used copies.

Around the Network
Swordmasterman said:

Regarding the Sales the game was well received on PC you cannot expect much from a plataform where the best selling fighting game sold 650-700 Thousands life-time.

Street Fighter V will have 5-6 years of support the one who will climb with time is Street Fighter and not Tomb Raider, if Tomb Raider will surpass the Life-time sales of Street Fighter V, it need to do much well now.

Even when Xbox 360 had much more ground on USA than the PS3 the PS3  still sold more copies of Street Fighter 4 even on USA, we are talking about how much copies lost from Xbox ? 200-300 Thousands ?, would it really be worth to lost a Deal to sell this low on Xbox ?.

I Don't think that the Street Fighter's fanbase is on Xbox, while with Tomb Raider the PC and the Playstation's fanbase were Neck to Neck in the sales of the previous game.

You're thinking of the short road, not the long one since TR is a SP based game while SFV is a multiplayer based title, you can argue for what very little SP it has but once that MP support dies then so does the game and the rest of it;s sales, TR on the other hand won't ever stop unless it's removed from the vendors entirely.

It doesn't matter who gets to have what fanbase of a game, the fact of the matter is SFV is only on two plats and TR will be on 3, 4 if you count 360. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

On the first weeks there was a thread here showing some devs saying they done their part and they weren't responsible for the low sales.

VGC numbers show SFV did a lot better than SF IV on PS4. And it was talked a lot why it have done worse than SF IV on PS3. I and everybody else accepted it underperformed. And seeing TR at 5M sales weren't acceptable and couldn't break even it's very hard to say RTR perfomed well.

Ok, won't discuss the relevance of it. But we all know how accountability and upholding what have been said in the past is threated in here.

Okay, I thought you were gonna have some sort of proof SE said it underperformed. It didn't achieve to true sales potential being on Xbox only, that's another argument.

TR 2013 was actually profitable the same year it released, look it up.

I won't look up for the link. But if you were on VGC at the time you would had seen the thread about devs saying it undeperformed.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

to be honest the comparison should be ROTR against Uncharted 4, they both are from the same genre.

kazuyamishima said:
to be honest the comparison should be ROTR against Uncharted 4, they both are from the same genre.

These were probably compared due to having similar sales in the past and both being timed exclusives.

Chazore said:
Swordmasterman said:

You're thinking of the short road, not the long one since TR is a SP based game while SFV is a multiplayer based title, you can argue for what very little SP it has but once that MP support dies then so does the game and the rest of it;s sales, TR on the other hand won't ever stop unless it's removed from the vendors entirely.

It doesn't matter who gets to have what fanbase of a game, the fact of the matter is SFV is only on two plats and TR will be on 3, 4 if you count 360. 

This isn't how  it works, tell for me why the Multiplayer would die if More than half of people who purchased it on Steam are active players ?, Street Fighter will have better legs than Tomb Raider, Xbox One's Install base and fanbase of Tomb Raider isn't enought to ensure a win.

What other game would steal fighting games fans ?, Mortal Kombat failed on PC even with 600 thousands units sold no one play it anymore, the only game that could steal the ground of Street Fighter is Tekken.

I'm thinking in Life-time sales of both games Capcom will not stop support for this game and will not release another version this game don't sold what Capcom expected but this also doesn't means that what they expected was the exact number of sales to make profit, Street Fighter V, need to sell 3-3.5 Millions until December 31 to surpass the success of the previous game and  because the bad launch is too soon to say if this game will fail or not.