By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First 10 Weeks Sales: SFV (PS4) -VS- ROTTR (X1) - VGC Data

Tagged games:

Choose wisely!

Street Fighter V (PS4) 145 43.15%

Rise of the Tomb Raider (X1) 191 56.85%

Total:336
LudicrousSpeed said:
Swordmasterman said:

No it isn't your point there was no reason for they to rush the game because of Sony or because they had Money, they would launch the same game even without Sony if they had the money.

I Don't know why do you think that the Deal is what made the game launch unfinished, in this case we would see the same with Tomb Raider since they purchased the Timed Exclusivity to launch the game alongside Uncharted 4 (before the Delay) because Xbox One don't had any game of the genre to compete against it, they had a Release date that they had to follow but Capcom don't had.

I didn't say it was Sony's fault, Sony just provided the checks. I am sure Sony didn't really care if the game came out in 2016 or 2017. They just wanted that Street Fighter name and to keep it off Xbox. It was Capcom's decision to rush the title and release it in an unfinished, basically early access state for $60. Also, part of their deal with Sony is for their Capcom Cup. So wanting to release it in time for pro players to prepare for that played a big role, too. If the game were coming next year or 2018, they'd have had more time. Plus more platforms to make more revenue. Hell, by then there would also be the NX they could have tapped.

We wouldn't see the same with Tomb Raider because that game was already well in development when Microsoft cut them a check, and SE wasn't looking to rush it out. Meanwhile with fighters you already have Killer Instinct, among others going with the free to play, pay to own model. This is what SFV should have launched with, but instead they went with those mechanics but the full $60 price.

You seem to come from the assumption that if sony didn't gave the money they would be developing the game without releasing it... The only great difference without Sony money would be a latter release of the same game... that could contribute to a bigger gap on time (leading to more antecipation)? Sure. But unless in the timeframe they weren't touching the game they changed their mind about releasing an incomplete game then all the rest would be exact same... So i fail really hard to see where sony money made the difference.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Swordmasterman said:

No it isn't your point there was no reason for they to rush the game because of Sony or because they had Money, they would launch the same game even without Sony if they had the money.

I Don't know why do you think that the Deal is what made the game launch unfinished, in this case we would see the same with Tomb Raider since they purchased the Timed Exclusivity to launch the game alongside Uncharted 4 (before the Delay) because Xbox One don't had any game of the genre to compete against it, they had a Release date that they had to follow but Capcom don't had.

I didn't say it was Sony's fault, Sony just provided the checks. I am sure Sony didn't really care if the game came out in 2016 or 2017. They just wanted that Street Fighter name and to keep it off Xbox. It was Capcom's decision to rush the title and release it in an unfinished, basically early access state for $60. Also, part of their deal with Sony is for their Capcom Cup. So wanting to release it in time for pro players to prepare for that played a big role, too. If the game were coming next year or 2018, they'd have had more time. Plus more platforms to make more revenue. Hell, by then there would also be the NX they could have tapped.

We wouldn't see the same with Tomb Raider because that game was already well in development when Microsoft cut them a check, and SE wasn't looking to rush it out. Meanwhile with fighters you already have Killer Instinct, among others going with the free to play, pay to own model. This is what SFV should have launched with, but instead they went with those mechanics but the full $60 price.

The Pricing style of Street Fighter V is better, you can get every future DLC for free with In-game currency, in Killer Instinct you need to pay for the seasons or for individual characters. The Number of Characters that have for free in KI is pretty low.

So you want to say when they barely can make a game for 1 plataform they would make a better game without the Money to make or market the game (this money is now being used on Resident Evil's franchise) and with 2 another plataforms to Develop to ?.

So you are saying that the game was bad because they had the money to do the game ?, the game would be the same or even worse than it is now the only difference is that they would begin the Development just this year (or next year) they would have to make a New version because the game would launch in 2018-2019 PS4 and Xbox One would be 5-6 Years old so we would already have PS5 and Xbox Two(atleast coming out).

Swordmasterman said:

The Pricing style of Street Fighter V is better, you can get every future DLC for free with In-game currency, in Killer Instinct you need to pay for the seasons or for individual characters. The Number of Characters that have for free in KI is pretty low.

So you want to say when they barely can make a game for 1 plataform they would make a better game without the Money to make or market the game (this money is now being used on Resident Evil's franchise) and with 2 another plataforms to Develop to ?.

So you are saying that the game was bad because they had the money to do the game ?, the game would be the same or even worse than it is now the only difference is that they would begin the Development just this year (or next year) they would have to make a New version because the game would launch in 2018-2019 PS4 and Xbox One would be 5-6 Years old so we would already have PS5 and Xbox Two(atleast coming out).

Of course the content is lower. That's why it's free. Of course, purchasing the content is also cheaper than the $60 Capcom launched SFV at.

If you think Capcom's financials are that bad then you cannot logically think this deal was anything but terrible for them, they killed SFV with the launch, and will have nothing but diminishing returns trying to support a failed product down the line with content updates.

Basically in this thread people want it both ways, Capcom was dead broke AND the SFV deal was ok for them because "hey the game wasn't gonna sell much anyways LOL". In reality they had money to support lots of other projects, and if they launched SFV right, it could have sold much better. But they went with money and rushed it.

TR meanwhile will sell millions and has virtually no ill effects from its exclusive deal. Look at Steam, PC users had to wait and yet over 90% of the gamers gave it a positive score. Yet apparently mobs of PS4 owners will be angry about having to wait or will be satisfied with a 6 month old Uncharted 4 to care about another great game. 

You can have the last word, arguing in circles is boring.

This thread needs a group hug.

Can't everyone hug it out, shake hands and agree that intellivision is superior in every way to the Atari? I assume that's what we are argueing.

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

LudicrousSpeed said:
Swordmasterman said:

Of course the content is lower. That's why it's free. Of course, purchasing the content is also cheaper than the $60 Capcom launched SFV at.

If you think Capcom's financials are that bad then you cannot logically think this deal was anything but terrible for them, they killed SFV with the launch, and will have nothing but diminishing returns trying to support a failed product down the line with content updates.

Basically in this thread people want it both ways, Capcom was dead broke AND the SFV deal was ok for them because "hey the game wasn't gonna sell much anyways LOL". In reality they had money to support lots of other projects, and if they launched SFV right, it could have sold much better. But they went with money and rushed it.

TR meanwhile will sell millions and has virtually no ill effects from its exclusive deal. Look at Steam, PC users had to wait and yet over 90% of the gamers gave it a positive score. Yet apparently mobs of PS4 owners will be angry about having to wait or will be satisfied with a 6 month old Uncharted 4 to care about another great game. 

You can have the last word, arguing in circles is boring.

Look at the differences between Capcom and Square Enix, Square is one of the biggest video game company of Japan and after merging with Enix they now own the 2 best selling Third Party IP of Japan that are both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, they purchased Eidos and now they own Hitman, Deus EX, and Tomb Raider, both(Enix and Square) have a really popular Manga magazine with tittles who surpassed Dozens of Millions of units sold, they have one the most number and the most popular Japanese Mobile games of all Japan, Final Fantasy Advent Children's movie surpassed 4+ Millions of DVD/UMD sold before the launch of the Last version.

Capcom in the other hand only have Resident Evil and Monster Hunter, Street fighter wasn't a priority and in the 6th gen they  don't made a single Mainline Street Fighter Game, Had Negative income in the last years they also don't  do well on Mobile, Square Enix's profit and revenue raised in the last years.

The reason the game isn't finished isn't The Deal's fault because Sony don't rushed nothing, we would have the same unfinished game in 2018-2019 and the Xbox One sales would be  nearly non-existent, they would sell more than the PC Version but not much more.

Resident Evil is more important for Capcom than Street Fighter,  also Monster Hunter's development cost are much lower than Street Fighter's development costs.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

Not true.  SFV as an actual fighter is solid.  Very good.  But as an overall game it lacks lots of content so didn't launch a good game overall.  

Thats Capcoms fault and does nothing to change my point. If it was on xbox too it would be the exact same.  Actually probably worse because capcom are very tight on the cash these days so probably wouldn't have provided as much funding. 

SFV is an underwhelming product compared to where SFIV left off. Anybody who says its bad is just wrong.

I think SFV launched before being complete because of the success of Killer Instinct. Where else would they get the confidence to do what they did? Maybe Sony felt releasing an incomplete product would do fine as well.

Either way, they tried and fortunately it failed.

Look you're argument is just so weak.  Just stop lol.  It's a bad game compared to the beast that was SFIV. It's a solid fighter but it's serious lack of content makes it pretty average as a overall game (in my words bad).  

Capcom have well documented financial issues.  They've been very cheap with their production of flagship IPs like resident evil and minster hunter.  I guess that's Sony's fault too?  Lol. 

Swordmasterman said:
Mr Puggsly said:

SF is absolutely a priority for Capcom, there was never a hiatus. You're just neglecting all the games released between mainline SF titles. On the 7th gen there was MvC3, SFxTekken, TvC, and ports of other games. Also, the constant updates of SFIV is not a hiatus.

I Made a mistake i wanted to say 6th generation they don't had Street Fighter Games, they went back from Hiatus with Street Fighter IV even so they managed to survive without it and nowdays they rely on Resident Evil, not on Street Fighter.

In the 6th gen they released Street Fighter 3, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Street Fighter EX 3, Capcom vs SNK 1 and 2, and Capcom Fighting Evolution. I also recall a Street Fighter Alpha collection for PS2. Maybe SF wasn't hot that gen, but they did several great games that gen.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

SFV is an underwhelming product compared to where SFIV left off. Anybody who says its bad is just wrong.

I think SFV launched before being complete because of the success of Killer Instinct. Where else would they get the confidence to do what they did? Maybe Sony felt releasing an incomplete product would do fine as well.

Either way, they tried and fortunately it failed.

Look you're argument is just so weak.  Just stop lol.  It's a bad game compared to the beast that was SFIV. It's a solid fighter but it's serious lack of content makes it pretty average as a overall game (in my words bad).  

Capcom have well documented financial issues.  They've been very cheap with their production of flagship IPs like resident evil and minster hunter.  I guess that's Sony's fault too?  Lol. 

its pretty obvious SFV launched as an incomplete product because of the success of KI. That can't be a coincidence, it gave Capcom coincidence to launch SFV as is. RE Revelations 2 was also a strategy likely inspired by the success of Telltale games.

I argue those financial issues are exagerated given all the content they've been working on. If anything, it put them in a position to stop releasing so much junk.

Resident Evil and Monster Hunter haven't been given the same treatment as SFV.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

You're going in circles here and I really don't think that you're going to come to an agreement.

Tomb Raider won. Street Fighter lost.

I'm locking this one up. Congrats on the successful prediction/ thread though, Puggsly.