By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - A New Xbox Console Every 3 Years Makes Sense?

It's a shitty idea ...

There's nothing stopping devs from making a game exclusive to a higher end SKU and Microsoft doesn't exactly have the best record when it comes to older platform support ...

Around the Network

I'm not a tech guy, so Idk if it's possible. But I would'nt mind if you could just replace the GPU (or w/v needs to be upgraded) of your Xbox every three year. Hell, I would'nt mind it if it was every year (I would'nt uprade it every year, but the option could be there for those who want and it also means that if you are part of those who skipped a year upgrade, it would'nt be so bad).

Buying just a new GPU for like 100$ or w/v it would cost every few years to upgrade your Xbox sounds great. Buying a whole new box sounds like a terrible idea.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Nope, bad idea. That's way too fast for a console cycle.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

It just makes no sense to be honest. First of all, the ps4 will still be the lead platform and 3rd party developers just don't like their games to look worse on the platform that sells them the most copies. It's the reason why pc games have never looked that much better, even though it has the superior hardware (if you got a decent gaming rig).

Secondly, there is no such thing as hardcore console gamers. Console gamers play on a console because it's plug and play. If you have options to upgrade and constantly have to wonder if you got the right hardware to play a game, it will just turn them off. And the people who are interested in the best graphics and don't mind upgrading are already doing that right now by playing on pc.

SvennoJ said:
Sure, but it would not cost much less than a comparable steam box and get no special optimization treatment from 3rd party devs.

Hardcore gamers already get the benefit of a relatively cheap launch price, subsidized by the vast majority of sales that happen when the console is cheaper to manufacture and MS can recoup R&D costs. Cut off the profitable part of the gen and the launch price will be $600 or $800.

The same thing is true for games. Game companies invest in new game engines at the start of a new gen to reap the benefits throughout the second half of the gen. Shorter cycles means more costly game development, next to more systems to maintain, game prices will be $80 or $100.

Of course that's assuming the market doesn't shrink after getting hit with more expensive consoles and game prices...

R&D is not a big factor anymore.
no expensive custom designs. Designs are way cheapter to figure out.

Xbox One 2.0 r&d won't be much higher than Xbox One Slim Version

fatslob-:O said:
It's a shitty idea ...

There's nothing stopping devs from making a game exclusive to a higher end SKU and Microsoft doesn't exactly have the best record when it comes to older platform support ...

The xbox 360 got way more legacy support than the ps3, while being 1 year older

Around the Network

No. 5 years is fine, but 3 years is way too little!

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

It's a good model for MS. Maybe not for Sony, but MS doesn't have much to lose, it's not like the current status quo is doing great for them. Becoming more like the PC just makes sense for Microsoft. If you don't like it, buy a Playstation. But odds are you were already in that camp anyway.

I think if given a choice lots of people will opt for an easy to upgrade console that they can do on their own terms.

This is like I remember Apple fans trying ardently to argue that Apple should never make a large screen iPhone because the iPhone 4 was perfect and shouldn't be changed. But the new iPhone models with choice for the consumer broke all sales records.

Choice is fine, no one is forcing you to upgrade your Xbox, just like no one is forcing you to buy a 5.5 inch phone if you don't want that.

Just because MS releases an upgrade doesn't mean you have to freaking buy it DAY ONE EMREHRGAWD OR YOU CAN'T PLAY GTAVII!!!!!! or something stupid like that.

You like 5 year cycles? Great. Then keep your hardware for 5 years. No problem. All it means it some other people will more disposable income than you maybe get to play at a higher resolution + few better effects. 

Even most PC gamers don't buy a new GPU every 2-3 years. But there is a choice of a new GPU every year, it's just about where you are as a consumer and what you feel like doing. 

I think it would make perfect sense. A new system every 3 years would be perfect i think, and is possible now that they have made the step to more PC like and affordable hardware. Even a new system every 2 years might be in the realm of possibility(a lot of people buy a new $500+ phone every two years).

Only thing that would be needed is mandatory support for 4 or 5 years. Meaning every game that is released in the first one or two years of the new system must also be released for the old system.

No, the minimum should be 5 years with the exception of og Xbox and wii u.

Wright said:

No, please. That'd be horrible. Every generation should be like the seventh, which lasted like eight years, and even then consoles still got support afterwards. A three-year ratio per new console would be disastrous IMO.

This.gif