By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - A New Xbox Console Every 3 Years Makes Sense?

foodfather said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this model as people buy multiple SKU's of a single console many times. I had 4 Xbox 360's at retail last gen and am on my second Xbox One.

I bet a large majority of gamers are also in the same position.

Is that sarcasm? XBox 360 was notoriously unreliable, yet still I bet the number of people that bought a second one at retail (not getting a replacement) is very small. And what did you do with the old ones (if they were still working). Sell them to somebody else taking away a new sale?

All those people that are going to upgrade will put their old console on the second hand market. And price cuts of the old model will have to compete with that.

Editting multiquotes sucks.

Around the Network
soonyfanboy said:
SvennoJ said:
Sure, but it would not cost much less than a comparable steam box and get no special optimization treatment from 3rd party devs.

Hardcore gamers already get the benefit of a relatively cheap launch price, subsidized by the vast majority of sales that happen when the console is cheaper to manufacture and MS can recoup R&D costs. Cut off the profitable part of the gen and the launch price will be $600 or $800.

The same thing is true for games. Game companies invest in new game engines at the start of a new gen to reap the benefits throughout the second half of the gen. Shorter cycles means more costly game development, next to more systems to maintain, game prices will be $80 or $100.

Of course that's assuming the market doesn't shrink after getting hit with more expensive consoles and game prices...

R&D is not a big factor anymore.
no expensive custom designs. Designs are way cheapter to figure out.

Xbox One 2.0 r&d won't be much higher than Xbox One Slim Version

You still need to design a new custom apu, figure out the new bottlenecks, heat dissipation, testing etc. A slim design doesn't have all those problems, shrink the components, same bottlenecks, less heat, no surprises.

And even if it wasn't much higher than a slim version, the components are more expensive and the sale expectations are much much lower. The people waiting for the cheaper slim version are not going to buy the upgraded elite version.

Suff you do every year for smartphones.
And i said not that big anymore. Not nonexistant

I think a new Xbox will launch this year as well.

Jega said:
I think a new Xbox will launch this year as well.

I actually want MS to release the X1 Elite console but this time it's white and it should be $449 :)

Proud to be a Californian.