By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ignored Nintendo Direct game

Volterra_90 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Last time I checked FE Awakening outsold ICO and Shadow of the colossus... combined. lol

Nailed it. Thinking that people expect more an ICO game than a FE game nowadays is just unrealistic if we look at the proper numbers. I won't deny that Shadow of the Colossus is a masterpiece, and it's one of my favourite games. Simply breathtaking. It's a cult classic, but people didn't exactly run for it. FE is growing in popularity, Fates is going to outsold Awakening, and TLG still has to prove that is more expected than a new FE game. 

To the post above, you're over simplifying the game saying it's just about pop idols. But, hey, as you wish.

This is the fatal mistake that is killing the hype of this game, and everybody that has played says the same, it looks WAY more weebo and popy than it actually is, the story is actually deep, the characters are interesting, the combat system is REALLY good, It has all that wonderfull Atlus style and even many people say this is probably a project the team wanted to do for a long time, something they really loved to make because there is a ton of care put in it.

Yet the people only think sees a pop music idol simulator. Is like if Persona was presented for the first time and people disliked it because they think is just a teenager highschool simulator. I hope at least NA is able to apreaciate what team Atlus has done here.

Around the Network
Valdath said:

I mean i'm not saying the game is bad, it's probably good if the reviews are true.

My issue being a Fire Emblem & SMT fan is that this game doesn't appeal to me at all, i don't understand who thought this was a good idea.

It's like making a Dark Souls dancing spin-off, sure many people enjoy dancing games, but how many actual Dark Souls fans enjoy dancing games? what's the point of using an IP for a game that's so different? IMO the only thing you get is angry fans. Exactly like what happened with Federation Force.

And the worst part is that the japanese idol fan gamers didn't even buy Genei Ibun Roku, so...again what was the point, this game already failed.

I'm sure the game has solid JRPG elements and the music is good if you enjoy that type of music i guess, but i just can't get past the setting.

For the record i don't like Persona either.

I hope the few people that will buy this game enjoy it though.

I think the point is to make something different. I mean, you can do this game resembling a lot both of the other games, and maybe it'll be more sucessful. But I really appreciate that they try to do something different to the games we already have on Nintendo consoles. It resembles more Persona games than SMT or FE, that's for sure. I can't speak for the rest, but I prefer that they try something different than just another SMT with demons based on FE. I don't remember seeing angry posts of FE fans expecting a FE game, or SMT fans expecting a SMT game. Maybe they'll be just indifferent towards it. And it surely will affect sales. But it won't speak for the title's quality in the end. And, as I said, it's not just an japanese idol game xDDDD.

Goodnightmoon said:

This is the fatal mistake that is killing the hype of this game, and everybody that has played says the same, it looks WAY more weebo and popy than it actually is, the story is actually deep, the characters are interesting, the combat system is REALLY good, It has all that wonderfull Atlus style and even many people say this is probably a project the team wanted to do for a long time, something they really loved to make because there is a ton of care put in it.

Yet the people only think sees a pop music idol simulator. Is like if Persona was presented for the first time and people disliked it because they think is just a teenager highschool simulator. I hope at least NA is able to apreaciate what team Atlus has done here.

The problem is not just what it is, I think it was a problem of... bad marketing. I mean, they were honest about the game and its atmosphere, and about Japanese idols playing an important part on the game. But, maybe, I'll "lie" a little and just make trailers about the dark stuff that this game has, something epic and gritty. Because that's what sold nowadays. Because people don't usually do some research and take everything from 1 minute trailers. Internet kinda transform the gaming world in a fast-food chain. And it's a given that a lot of people takes one impression and don't even try to go deeper. 

Volterra_90 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

The problem is not just what it is, I think it was a problem of... bad marketing. I mean, they were honest about the game and its atmosphere, and about Japanese idols playing an important part on the game. But, maybe, I'll "lie" a little and just make trailers about the dark stuff that this game has, something epic and gritty. Because that's what sold nowadays. Because people don't usually do some research and take everything from 1 minute trailers. Internet kinda transform the gaming world in a fast-food chain. And it's a given that a lot of people takes one impression and don't even try to go deeper. 

I liked that analogy xD

Yes, they should have been way smarter with the marketing, absolutely true, specially in the west, they used the same trailers here and there and I think that was dumb, the west in more interested on the serious part of the game, show us the light hearted part too, but dont make it look like 90% is pinky poppy boobs singing candy candy.

Goodnightmoon said:
Azuren said:

Except we're not talking about any of those games? Why are you trying to rationalize hype comparison of two games by bringing up the sales of previous games in their respective series?

Are you kidding me?

You are the one that said that nobody cares about FE because there were a lot of them. But everybody cares about Team Ico.

And read the rest of the comment too.

Tell you what: point out where I said that nobody cares about Fire Emblem. Protip: caring more about one thing doesn't mean you don't care about the other. 

Also, yeah, it kind of sold more than both combined? There's a wierd situation since they also shipped in a bundle together. But in actuality, no, it didn't: there are roughly 3 million copies of SotC out there. And this isn't counting the fact that every PS+ member received a digital copy of both as part of their instant game collections. 

And yes, it did average out to a single point higher than SotC, and 2 points higher than ICO. That said, the average Metacritic for Fire Emblem as a whole is 86.7, whereas Team Ico games are 90.5. I suppose that could also be why the Internet is more excited for TLG than SMTxFE- because they KNOW TLG will be an amazing game, simply because Team Ico has never made anything else. Fire Emblem's track record could mean this is just going to be another "Eh, it's Fire Emblem, I guess I'll try it" release. And then there's that 80.8 average hanging onto the SMT numbers (with only one being as highly rated as either Ico game).

And no, it's not a meme. People were this excited over it when it was first announced, too. Why? Because, and I repeat, Team Ico hasn't made anything except amazing games.

So to reiterate: Never said no one cares about FE; no, Fates didn't outsell total sales of both Ico and SotC; Yes, Fates scored higher; No, Fire Emblem didn't score higher; not a single SMT was rated as highly as SotC; it's not suddenly been hyped because it's a meme, it's been hyped since it was originally announced because Team Ico has never failed. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Are you kidding me?

You are the one that said that nobody cares about FE because there were a lot of them. But everybody cares about Team Ico.

And read the rest of the comment too.

Tell you what: point out where I said that nobody cares about Fire Emblem. Protip: caring more about one thing doesn't mean you don't care about the other. 

Also, yeah, it kind of sold more than both combined? There's a wierd situation since they also shipped in a bundle together. But in actuality, no, it didn't: there are roughly 3 million copies of SotC out there. And this isn't counting the fact that every PS+ member received a digital copy of both as part of their instant game collections. 

And yes, it did average out to a single point higher than SotC, and 2 points higher than ICO. That said, the average Metacritic for Fire Emblem as a whole is 86.7, whereas Team Ico games are 90.5. I suppose that could also be why the Internet is more excited for TLG than SMTxFE- because they KNOW TLG will be an amazing game, simply because Team Ico has never made anything else. Fire Emblem's track record could mean this is just going to be another "Eh, it's Fire Emblem, I guess I'll try it" release. And then there's that 80.8 average hanging onto the SMT numbers (with only one being as highly rated as either Ico game).

And no, it's not a meme. People were this excited over it when it was first announced, too. Why? Because, and I repeat, Team Ico hasn't made anything except amazing games.

So to reiterate: Never said no one cares about FE; no, Fates didn't outsell total sales of both Ico and SotC; Yes, Fates scored higher; No, Fire Emblem didn't score higher; not a single SMT was rated as highly as SotC; it's not suddenly been hyped because it's a meme, it's been hyped since it was originally announced because Team Ico has never failed. 

That is a desperate excuse, come on.

And it makes little to no sense that we give more credit to a team that has made 2 good games in 20 years than teams that had made dozens of great games in the same time like Atlus and Inteligent Systems, of course the average of FE is worse, now take only the 2 best rated FE (the last ones) and the average is higher than Team Ico. TLG is more a meme than a game people is excited about, even the gameplay they show, while I liked it, it was nothing exciting and certainly nothing new, but memes are really strong, and this was a huge one.

TLG will largely outsell Mirage though.

Valdath said:

And who said otherwise?

Goodnightmoon said:
Valdath said:

And who said otherwise?

Dunno, i think i didn't read all your quotes.

Wait, did you really say TLG is a meme?

TLG is more hyped because Team ICO track record is simply better than FE & SMT franchises.

Valdath said:
97alexk said:

Your statement can be said about literally anything . ''Just a generic (insert genre here)'' No, a very few people think like you do. Most are excited about this game and i cant wait to play it, and from i heard it actually has a really good story. And i dont think im defending it because the lack of Wii U games this year, its just i dont like spoiled brats who complain about everything they get. I miss the old times where people actually complained and used that energy for real problems

"Most are excited about this game and i cant wait to play it"

I highly doubt that, i still remember the shitstorm when they showed the actual game.

But i guess at the end of the day it's all about taste, some like Idol pop games and some don't.

The shitstorm wasnt even big, only few people hated it. Most peopled either liked it or didnt say anything. And it has alot if inspiration from japanese pop idol. Wich alot of anime fans love, some dont like it though, but its not only that