By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

What do you think will get better support?

Ps4 322 58.02%

PC 168 30.27%

Results 65 11.71%

Total:555
MortienGerrux said:
mornelithe said:

Not to mention decades more experience in gaming.

What exactly does Facebook Oculus VR, LLC have to do with a developer/publisher thinking:

"Wow, if we add official VR support to this game, we can have a big selling point for the game"

What exactly is your problem here? lol.

Someone said that Facebook had way more money than Sony and therefore would be able to compete with Sony in the exclusive game market.

Even Microsoft couldn't win against Sony in that market and they have WAY more money than both facebook and Sony combined.

The thing is that there is a guaranteed video game consumer market on the Playstation platform, where as on PC the market is a lot more split.

Games generally sell much better on consoles compared to PC, this is a pretty well known fact. 

Regardless i don't understand why you are trying to pit Playstation up against PC. They are a relatively seperate market. Both markets can be successful simultaneously.

Xbox vs Playstation is a lot different though as they are going for the same market (the living room) through the same avenue etc. etc.

Around the Network
MortienGerrux said:
mornelithe said:

What does that have to do with my statement that Sony has decades more experience in gaming?  It's true.  They do.  They also have more experience in implementing periphery into gaming (with allot more trial and error).  It's not a knock against FB, it's simply something Sony's worked on for a long time.  Frankly, I think Vive, Occulus and PSVR need each other.  In order for it to be more than just a niche thing.  

They have experience in gaming, but not in VR. Palmer Luckey has been busy for VR for the past like 10 years.

Anyways, Sony can have as much experience as they want, the PS4 will still remain a closed platform.

How is having a closed platform bad? Its all about how the platform holders deal with it.

Sony does a pretty great job with curating no?

I still think PSVR will have better support despite PC having a community of do it yourselfers cobbling shit together and fixing stuff for the developers.

That said, this will be my official last post on VR until I've actually tried VR. No point baselessly speculating about tech one hasn't touched.

mornelithe said:
MortienGerrux said:

They have experience in gaming, but not in VR. Palmer Luckey has been busy for VR for the past like 10 years.

Anyways, Sony can have as much experience as they want, the PS4 will still remain a closed platform.

And if VR were standalone, that'd mean something.  VR isn't, however, I guess that's why VR hasn't really been on the publics mind for the past...10 years.

Yeah, the consoles being a closed platform really amounted to a whole hell of alot these past couple gens, didn't it?  I mean, the volume of AAA devs devloping exclusively for PC has just skyrocketed in that time, hasn't it?

And all that aside, you still seem to be brushing aside the fact that PC VR is going to be pretty expensive for the regular consumer, for quite a bit which will absolutely temper it's growth.  Prices will come down, certainly, but for the foreseeable future the cheaper solution for those interested in VR is going to be PSVR.

Btw, I do hope that all 3 solutions are successful, mainly to see the tech innovated upon in the future.  Since I have both the PS4 and a Gaming PC, all 3 succeeding benefits me more.

That's not what I meant.

What I mean is that the Oculus Rift/HTC Vive will have either third-party support (by the community) or first party support (by the developer of the game) for VR.

I would love if Rockstar announced a simple and basic toggle in the options menu of GTA 5 for VR without needing extra third-party software like VorpX.

MortienGerrux said:
mornelithe said:

And if VR were standalone, that'd mean something.  VR isn't, however, I guess that's why VR hasn't really been on the publics mind for the past...10 years.

Yeah, the consoles being a closed platform really amounted to a whole hell of alot these past couple gens, didn't it?  I mean, the volume of AAA devs devloping exclusively for PC has just skyrocketed in that time, hasn't it?

And all that aside, you still seem to be brushing aside the fact that PC VR is going to be pretty expensive for the regular consumer, for quite a bit which will absolutely temper it's growth.  Prices will come down, certainly, but for the foreseeable future the cheaper solution for those interested in VR is going to be PSVR.

Btw, I do hope that all 3 solutions are successful, mainly to see the tech innovated upon in the future.  Since I have both the PS4 and a Gaming PC, all 3 succeeding benefits me more.

That's not what I meant.

What I mean is that the Oculus Rift/HTC Vive will have either third-party support (by the community) or first party support (by the developer of the game) for VR.

I would love if Rockstar announced a simple and basic toggle in the options menu of GTA 5 for VR without needing extra third-party software like VorpX.

Will that 3rd party support also entail helping customers afford a PC that can adequately run Rift or Vive?  Because that's still a significant hurdle for mass adoption, for the foreseeable future.  Even PSVR is expensive for someone who doesn't own a PS4.  But, it's still cheaper than Vive/Rift.

And Rockstar probably hasn't put a simple toggle in, because VR isn't a big deal yet.  And, unless you're running a rock solid 60fps, you're not going to want to be VRing the game, nevermind if the game is ok for VR anyway.  Many games if you were to just make VR capable, would simply be vomit factories.

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
MortienGerrux said:

That's not what I meant.

Will that 3rd party support also entail helping customers afford a PC that can adequately run Rift or Vive?  Because that's still a significant hurdle for mass adoption, for the foreseeable future.  Even PSVR is expensive for someone who doesn't own a PS4.  But, it's still cheaper than Vive/Rift.

And Rockstar probably hasn't put a simple toggle in, because VR isn't a big deal yet.  And, unless you're running a rock solid 60fps, you're not going to want to be VRing the game, nevermind if the game is ok for VR anyway.  Many games if you were to just make VR capable, would simply be vomit factories.

I've already said in another thread that you only need a USB 3.0 cable and a HDMI 1.3 cable to run a Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. It's just a display. What requirements you need for games, depends on what you want to play in VR. GTA 5 will need more power then No Man Sky. Minecraft will need even less.

MortienGerrux said:
mornelithe said:

That's not what I meant.

But third party means that it comes from a company outside of the company that is the platform holder and first party means that the platform holder themselves develop it.

I am not sure what you mean.

Areaz32 said:
MortienGerrux said:

That's not what I meant.

But third party means that it comes from a company outside of the company that is the platform holder and first party means that the platform holder themselves develop it.

If Rockstar and Valve work together into making GTA 5 working properly without additonal software on the HTC Vive for example, then it's still first party.

Third party would mean, if the community made software and mods to run the game in VR just like it's the case now sadly :(

MortienGerrux said:
mornelithe said:

I've already said in another thread that you only need a USB 3.0 cable and a HDMI 1.3 cable to run a Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. It's just a display. What requirements you need for games, depends on what you want to play in VR. GTA 5 will need more power then No Man Sky. Minecraft will need even less.

Yes, it's a display, however, it's already been widely, widely proven that certain games just don't work with it due to no fixed points on the screen.  Insomniac talks about this and why they put in a cockpit view for their Rigs game.  And it makes sense.   GTAV doesn't have much by way of fixed pieces of the HUD.  It has some, and I think if they tweaked it a bit, it'd be possible...but, we'll have to see.

MortienGerrux said:
Areaz32 said:

If Rockstar and Valve work together into making GTA 5 working properly without additonal software on the HTC Vive for example, then it's still first party.

Third party would mean, if the community made software and mods to run the game in VR just like it's the case now sadly :(

No thats not first party, nor is the other thing third party.

There is no HTC vive platform as it also supports oculus and vice versa for many instances. The platform is PC.

What you are talking about is native support of whatever API is attached to the VR HMD which is something the developers have to implement, not valve and oculus.

Sony are the only ones who will benefit from having first party developers.

Now that said you can still have third party exclusives to the HTC Vive VR API or the Oculus VR API.

The problem with what you are saying is that you think that you can just add VR onto ANY game on PC. Sure you can add it in but the game is not designed for it.

The assets are not to scale of the camera and many of the shader work and other rendering tech will look bad in VR, and in many cases the gameplay will cause the player to be motion sick.

The game engine wasn't written to be rendered at 90hz and stereoscopic 3D. So even if you can get it to work, the amount of horsepower you would need from the PC along with just all in all how bad the experience would get past the 10 minute mark, just doesn't seem like an actual bonus in the long run.

I think games developed in VR are the only way to go because just from walking around in GTAV with a VR headset, or entering a car and driving will give you intense motion sickness. I know i wouldn't want to buy a game for VR where i could only play for a very small amount of time.