By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Aonuma: "realistic" Zelda gets a better response than a cartoony one

Which one do you prefer?

Celda 47 33.57%

Realistic (OoT included) 88 62.86%

I don't like Zelda 5 3.57%

Total:140

I'll take either but realistic Zelda makes a bigger impact. If Zelda U looked like the tech demo I'd take it over the current look tbh.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yes, but he talked about time when TP was developed not current time like you wrote.

Like I wrote, It's well known that Zelda TP with "realistic" graphics is somehow forced after bad reception of WW art style even WW later become one most beloved Zelda's and art style praised. Also we have two Zelda games after TP that don't have realistic graphic.

"Being a realistic Legend of Zelda game...

That was the direction we took with Ocarina of Time as well.

We'd tested out various art styles, like with the cartoony style of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

But it seemed like users really responded to a more realistic art style, so we gave some serious thought to how to bring that sense of reality (...)"

And they will keep testing art styles. Yet, realistic has a better response even today, even at the E3 2011 demo.

Yes they will keep tasting art styles, Zelda U art style looked best among several tested art styles, thats why they chose that one.

It's your opinion that realistic art style have better response even today, but fact is that Zelda U art style has phenomenal response also, even Aonuma said that he is very pleased with reaction on Zelda U art style.

spemanig said:
Pavolink said:

We'd tested out various art styles, like with the cartoony style of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

But it seemed like users really responded to a more realistic art style, so we gave some serious thought to how to bring that sense of reality (...)"

But if you want to keep living in denial, it's ok. At least they know the truth.

You reading comprehension is astounding. He said users really responded to a style that was more realistic. He didn't say users really responded MORE to a realistic style. He didn't say users are CURRENTLY responding to a more realisting style.

Meanwhile,

"Everyone has been imitating this (snaps fingers) (laughs)."

"EVERYONE"

(Laughs).

Aonuma: "So we made a trailer with Link in a more realistic art style and showed it at E3...

At that time, really, all the fans gave us an standing ovation at the idea that "realistic" Zelda has returned."

He continues:

Aonuma: "Being a realistic Legend of Zelda game...

That's why you need to read again and again and again the OP until you understand.

Miyamotoo said:
Pavolink said:

And they will keep testing art styles. Yet, realistic has a better response even today, even at the E3 2011 demo.

Yes they will keep tasting art styles, Zelda U art style looked best among several tested art styles, thats why they chose that one.

It's your opinion that realistic art style have better response even today, but fact is that Zelda U art style has phenomenal response also, even Aonuma said that he is very pleased with reaction on Zelda U art style.

It's not my opinion, is a fact that Aonuma admitted even when he doesn't prefer the realistic art style.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Anfebious said:
Pavolink said:

See above my post when I mention that he loves the cartoon style. Admitted by him since TP release.

What i get then is that Aonuma is an idiot. He knows that "realistic" sells more but he would rather make Zelda games with his favourite style. Aonuma pls

Oh, he knows that. What bothers me is how the upper management let this guy do whatever he wants.

Pavolink said:

Miyamotoo said:

It's not my opinion, is a fact that Aonuma admitted even when he doesn't prefer the realistic art style.

No, he didn't said that realistic style have better response today, he said realistic style had better response back than when they develop TP, but you just keep ignoring that fact.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Pavolink said:

No, he didn't said that realistic style have better response today, he said TP had better response back than when they develop TP. But you just keep ignoring that fact.

I'm not ignoring any fact, I'm stating actually: realistic>cartoon. Just look at this thread and see how many people agree with him.

Pavolink said:
Miyamotoo said:

No, he didn't said that realistic style have better response today, he said TP had better response back than when they develop TP. But you just keep ignoring that fact.

I'm not ignoring any fact, I'm stating actually: realistic>cartoon. Just look at this thread and see how many people agree with him.

Yes you are, you just keep saying that he said that realistic style have better response "today", but he didnt said that, he sad whats obvious, that back then when TP was developed people better reacted on realistic style.

I agree also, back then people better react on realistic art style, but I dont think thats case today, just look reactions on Zelda U art style.

Miyamotoo said:
Pavolink said:

Yes you are, you just keep saying that he said that realistic style have better response "today", but he didnt said that, he sad whats obvious, that back then when TP was developed people better reacted on realistic style.

I agree also, back then people better react on realistic art style, but I dont think thats case today, just look reactions on Zelda U art style.

I just have to look at the E3 2011 demo as proof that back then and today realistic > cartoon.

I'd rather just have both. Otherwise they are needlessly restricting their ability to convey different kinds of stories and atmospheres. The problem is that a home console Zelda takes quite a while to develop, so if people react negatively to a new Zelda, it's going to be a while until the series has a chance to redeem itself. As such, I understand why Aonuma might want to play it safe, especially with a game that has so much hype behind it.

Pavolink said:

Aonuma: "So we made a trailer with Link in a more realistic art style and showed it at E3...

At that time, really, all the fans gave us an standing ovation at the idea that "realistic" Zelda has returned."

He continues:

Aonuma: "Being a realistic Legend of Zelda game...

That's why you need to read again and again and again the OP until you understand.

Mindlessly repeating your wrongness instead of making an actual refuting argument only makes you more wrong.

(Laughs).