By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Aonuma: "realistic" Zelda gets a better response than a cartoony one

Which one do you prefer?

Celda 47 33.57%

Realistic (OoT included) 88 62.86%

I don't like Zelda 5 3.57%

Total:140

I like both, but I don't think I have played a game as visually pleasing as Wind Waker, so I guess I would prefer cartoon style.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

Around the Network

Yup. Its obvious.

But Zelda is also a very cartoony game in terms of feel. So i can understand them trying to find an in-between art style.

That's why the next Zelda game is going to have "realistic" graphics, see? Aonuma gets it.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Pavolink said:
Miyamotoo said:

He talked about time when they developed Zelda TP not about current time. It's well known that Zelda TP with "realistic" graphics is somehow forced after bad reception of WW art style even WW later become one most beloved Zelda's and art style praised. Also we have two Zelda games after TP that don't have realistic graphic.

Always with an excuse. Aonuma admitted that realistic Zelda has a better response, then, now and always.

Except that we never had a realistic zelda and even if you count oot and tp as realistic, we can argue that the style wasn't what caused those games success. oot was the first 3d zelda and tp looks helped more because of the contrast with WW than by itself. Now check Zelda U and how well it's visual style was received.

Nem said:
Yup. Its obvious.

But Zelda is also a very cartoony game in terms of feel. So i can understand them trying to find an in-between art style.

Skyward Sword and Zelda HD seems like good attemps in my book.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Anfebious said:
That's why the next Zelda game is going to have "realistic" graphics, see? Aonuma gets it.

See above my post when I mention that he loves the cartoon style. Admitted by him since TP release.

Thunderbird77 said:
Pavolink said:

Always with an excuse. Aonuma admitted that realistic Zelda has a better response, then, now and always.

Except that we never had a realistic zelda and even if you count oot and tp as realistic, we can argue that the style wasn't what caused those games success. oot was the first 3d zelda and tp looks helped more because of the contrast with WW than by itself. Now check Zelda U and how well it's visual style was received.

I don't count them as realistic. It's Aonuma. Read again the OP.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I don't really care about the art style tbh, as long as is good I'll enjoy it.

Pavolink said:

"Being a realistic Legend of Zelda game...

That was the direction we took with Ocarina of Time as well.

We'd tested out various art styles, like with the cartoony style of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

But it seemed like users really responded to a more realistic art style, so we gave some serious thought to how to bring that sense of reality (...)"

But if you want to keep living in denial, it's ok. At least they know the truth.

You reading comprehension is astounding. He said users really responded to a style that was more realistic. He didn't say users really responded MORE to a realistic style. He didn't say users are CURRENTLY responding to a more realisting style.

Meanwhile,

"Everyone has been imitating this (snaps fingers) (laughs)."

"EVERYONE"

(Laughs).

Pavolink said:
SJReiter said:
This does not shock me. Realistic appeals to a more casual audience. Casuals only care about graphics.

So Zelda and Nintendo fans are casuals?

So are you saying that all the people that buy zelda games are hardcore zelda/nintendo fans? And that Zelda fans care about graphics?

I don't know how to tell you but mainstream gamers are allowed to buy every Nintendo game and there are Zelda fans that enjoys both artstyles, 

And he's right, casual/mainstream gamers are attracted by the realistic look because they get the idea that the game is more evolved and better than games that aren't, not saying they are wrong to think that way but that is just a simplistic way to look to the things

We reap what we sow

Pavolink said:
Anfebious said:

See above my post when I mention that he loves the cartoon style. Admitted by him since TP release.

What i get then is that Aonuma is an idiot. He knows that "realistic" sells more but he would rather make Zelda games with his favourite style. Aonuma pls

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"