By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Aonuma: "realistic" Zelda gets a better response than a cartoony one

Which one do you prefer?

Celda 47 33.57%

Realistic (OoT included) 88 62.86%

I don't like Zelda 5 3.57%

Total:140

Honestly, I don't see how Ocarina is more visually adult than Wind Waker. Sure, the last is Cell Shadding and it looks more like a drawing. But I don't know... I see them both very kid friendly xD

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
Honestly, I don't see how Ocarina is more visually adult than Wind Waker. Sure, the last is Cell Shadding and it looks more like a drawing. But I don't know... I see them both very kid friendly xD

OoT Great Fairy vs WW's.

Pavolink said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yes you are, you just keep saying that he said that realistic style have better response "today", but he didnt said that, he sad whats obvious, that back then when TP was developed people better reacted on realistic style.

I agree also, back then people better react on realistic art style, but I dont think thats case today, just look reactions on Zelda U art style.

I just have to look at the E3 2011 demo as proof that back then and today realistic > cartoon.

And completely ignoring reactions on Zelda U art style!? OK, than.

Also tech demo can't be proof of anything because its just a tech demo not actual art style or graphic for actual game.

As much as I love Toon Link, I prefer a realistic artstyle. Maybe something like Zelda U/NX too, as it´s cartoony and also "realistic".
Yesterday, I saw this video and fell in love with it: just imagine if Nintendo worked with that engine or something like that, with their knowledge and their artstyle it´s amazing what they could achieve.

spemanig said:
Pavolink said:

Aonuma: "So we made a trailer with Link in a more realistic art style and showed it at E3...

At that time, really, all the fans gave us an standing ovation at the idea that "realistic" Zelda has returned."

He continues:

Aonuma: "Being a realistic Legend of Zelda game...

That was the direction we took with Ocarina of Time as well.

We'd tested out various art styles, like with the cartoony style of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

But it seemed like users really responded to a more realistic art style, so we gave some serious thought to how to bring that sense of reality (...)"

That's why you need to read again and again and again the OP until you understand.

Mindlessly repeating your wrongness instead of making an actual refuting argument only makes you more wrong.

(Laughs).

I understand pretty well what Aonuma said. If didn't, I will be spinning.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

I don't mind either way, as long as it's a good game. Honestly, I was surprised at all the negativity surrounding Wind Waker. I don't get how Ocarnia of Time suddenly made everyone think Zelda was going "realistic".

Pavolink said:
spemanig said:

Mindlessly repeating your wrongness instead of making an actual refuting argument only makes you more wrong.

(Laughs).

I understand pretty well what Aonuma said. If didn't, I will be spinning.

If you look at the video, he speaks specifically about reaction of fans at e3 to the "more realistic" style.  You keep harping on the fact that he said they tested cartoon stylings as well, but I don't recall anyone at e3 getting to see these things they tested in the cartoony style.  Sounds like they tested that style in-house, and then went with the more realistic (though still not at all realistic) style they currently have for Zelda U.

None of that supports your argument by the way, and actually does refute it.  You can't say that the fans gave a better response since they didn't see both.

There isn't "I don't mind either way" option :P

That line definitely stuck out when I watched that video before..

Funny to see Zelda U go for cell shading as well :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]