By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Aonuma: "realistic" Zelda gets a better response than a cartoony one

Which one do you prefer?

Celda 47 33.57%

Realistic (OoT included) 88 62.86%

I don't like Zelda 5 3.57%

Total:140
Trunkin said:
True, but cartoony Zelda ages better. WW, and even Skyward, look as impressive now as they did when they first released. TP, imo, has not aged well at all.

Zelda is a videogame not a bottle of whisky.

Around the Network

Realistic Zelda sells better than cartoony Zelda....

.... that's why we're making a cartoony Zelda.

Jokes apart, it seems like a bit semplicistic conclusion. I believe sales of well established series like Zelda are very well connected to fan expectations and the ability to attract new users.
Of course if you are planning to make a very traditional game like TP you should go for a more traditional artstyle (one that fans are accostumed to), if you're planning to attract new players a cartoony artstyle is not a wrong choice by default, depending on other design choices as well.

Rain2 said:
Some series suit realistic visuals while others suit cartoony. I think Nintendo should stick with one for Zelda. I mean, you don't see Resident Evil or Metal Gear Solid going cartoony. Just like you don't see Rayman or Sonic going realistic.

and some can mix them and be a bit of both.

My thoughts - Nintendo has plenty of cartoony art styled games. Games such as Metroid & Zelda should go for a darker, more realistic approach.

I can agree 100% with this. A deciding factor I belive would help categorize this would be fisics and/or gameplay. A game like mario where jumping super high, invisible bricks, power up flowers, flying capes and riding baby dinos does not make me picture myself doing that. But a game like zelda and metroid, where all they do, their wepons, their movements and maybe the enviorements are things that would be more suited for realistic arts style.

Another thing about realistic games aging quicker. True about anual garbage like call of duty or assasing creed and the hundreds of sports game. These games vary very litle every year, if at all. So yea, you can buy the latest version and have everithing better, but games like zelda or etroid or marios and the sort have very unike gameplay and or story. even between series, like twilight princes and wind waker, the graphics are not the main diference. the worlds are vastly diference, diferent equipment, story and a lot. We can actually say I like this other version because of x reason, other games you need the latest version to have the best experience.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Pavolink said:
Trunkin said:
SJReiter said:
This does not shock me. Realistic appeals to a more casual audience. Casuals only care about graphics.

So Zelda and Nintendo fans are casuals?

Well, I actually would argue that of all the Zelda games, the ones that were probably played most by casuals and non-Zelda fans were Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time. Many non-Zelda fans played those, while much fewer played Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.

potato_hamster said:
SJReiter said:
This does not shock me. Realistic appeals to a more casual audience. Casuals only care about graphics.

Ohh so that's why casual gamers mostly play on smart phones, tablets and consoles instead of PCs - because they care about graphics more than anything.

That doesn't make any sense. Maybe what you meant is casuals don't like paying new game prices for new new games that at a glance look graphically inferior to older ones.

Maybe it's just in my experience, but I've always gotten the impression that casuals gamers care mainly about how a game looks, i.e. Graphics. Now, I'm not talking about mobile or tablet gaming here. I mean people who actually buy consoles but aren't huge gamers. Many people I know would fall into this category, and if asked why they chose to buy a certain game (CoD, Madden, FIFA, NHL) the most common answer is "because the graphics are so good!" Maybe this isn't the case with other casual gamers, but I've often found it to be true. 

Edwardooo said:
Not a surprise if you look at the sales of both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

But I dig more a cartoonish style.

Actually WW sold 4m on GC while TP sold 1.2m on GC.

Around the Network

Personally, in Zelda i prefer the cartoony cell-shaded artstyle that Winde Waker and the new Zelda have, but i wouldn't be surprised if i a lot of people thought that

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

V-r0cK said:

I'd say keep the cartoony Zelda or handhelds and realistic for home consoles.  I feel it suits better this way.

Agreed. TP/OoT on homeconsoles and WW/PH/ST on handhelds. Althought, with the NX coming soon I don't know, in case it really shares the library, which art style will be the one they choose.

If NX shares the library then I think it's only fair that they rotate the art style back and forth.  I enjoy both Zelda art styles so I hope Nintendo doesn't favor one more than the other.

I hate that OoT and TP are considered "realistic". They may be more detailed than other games in the series but are still heavily stylized.

Pavolink said:
Trunkin said:
True, but cartoony Zelda ages better. WW, and even Skyward, look as impressive now as they did when they first released. TP, imo, has not aged well at all.

We know that. Still, if they have to choose between selling double the amount of copies or having one that ages well, guess they'll go with the money.

SJReiter said:

So Zelda and Nintendo fans are casuals?

I dunno. Looks like they're going with the one that ages well, this time. Or at least the best of both worlds.

He talked about time when they developed Zelda TP not about current time. It's well known that Zelda TP with "realistic" graphics is somehow forced after bad reception of WW art style even WW later become one most beloved Zelda's and art style praised. Also we have two Zelda games after TP that don't have realistic graphic.