By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Stephen Curry is...

What do you think of Stephen Curry?

Incredible 50 29.41%

Spectacular 25 14.71%

Unreal 27 15.88%

Overrated 16 9.41%

Small 1 0.59%

Hyped-up. 4 2.35%

Best in the World 21 12.35%

A Bad Shot taker 2 1.18%

Pretty Good 13 7.65%

Meh Give me (insert player here) 11 6.47%

Total:170

Not trying to take anything away from players like Michael, Larry, or Duncan.
But what Curry is doing right now... there are no words to truly describe it!
Curry can change the complexion of a game by just being on the floor!
Even if he's having an off-night, you can't sag off of him because he can go off at anytime, and because he's so deadly and lethal, it creates room for everyone else and puts his teammates in a position to be successful.
And he's doing this, WHILE his team is winning too!
Being on track to topping Michael's 96 Bulls, while being the favorites to win back-to-back titles, (so just like Timmy, Steph goes for plenty of wins as well to say the least.) and being the star in the center of it all, is some pretty incredible stuff.
And lets look at the context behind Steph's numbers. Most of the shots he takes are unassisted, they're shots that nobody else would even think of taking, or would label a bad shot. I mean a game winner from 32 feet away from the basket would normally be a Cinderella shot for anyone else, but for him, it's like shooting a free-throw! The context is that this guy can literally pull up as soon as he crosses half-court and opposing defenses are completely baffled as to what to do because their has never been anything like it before. And he doesn't need to come off a screen, a pick and roll, or catch and shoot, he can do it all by himself, because not only is his jumpshot deadly, but so is his ball-handling! You have to constantly be on your toes and on your guard against him, or else he's going to make you look bad.
I mean, his teammates get upset with him when he DOESN'T shoot the basketball because that's how deadly HE IS!!!
When you have to deal with a player like THAT. Really, the best defense you can play, is
a) put a hand up in his face
b) hope and pray to God he misses, or that he has an off-night.
And make no mistake about it, he's got the heart of an assassin, which makes guarding him during crunch time an absolute nightmare.
I felt so terrible for Thunder fans, as I watched that game. I could FEEL their hearts being torn out of their chests, and being stomped on like beer cans, while Steph just danced and laughed it off, adding insult to injury.
That's the biggest reason I've become such a fan of his, and why I think he's so incredible, is because, it isn't so much the stats, the fundamentals, or the shooting ability, it's the mentality. It's the same reason why Kobe will always be my favorite player, (I may or may not be a slightly biased Laker fan.)
At the end of the day, all he wants to do is win. And he is going to find a way and do whatever he has to do to beat you. He is not afraid of the crunch time and he will rise up to the challenge and answer the call!

Around the Network

No he's not.
As much as A.I. was not afraid to take it straight to the hole and absorb contact, Curry is not afraid to pull up from 35 and swish it right between the defender's eyes.
And naturally you're going to average 10 free throws a game when you're that small driving into the post where the giant trees await.
But let me ask you this:
If A.I. takes 20 free throws, and Steph takes 20. Who has the best chance at making all of them?
You don't think Steph could average 10 free throws a game if he wanted to? And I'd bet you money that if he did, he'd still be shooting above 90% as opposed to A.I.'s 80%.
He's just as deadly inside the paint as he is behind the arc, he is capable of drawing contact and converting And-One opportunities.
But he doesn't do that because that's not where he's deadliest. When he's behind the arc is where he's going to kill you, and he knows it.

And A.I. was never the game-changer that Curry is. That one year he led the Sixers to the Finals (also helps when you've got a guy who won Defensive Player of the Year, named Dikembe Mutumbo locking down the paint) , who did they have to play against in the East?
All of the best teams in the league at the time were out West, (Lakers, Kings, Spurs) During that year, seeds 1-7 in the West had over 50 wins each. The top 3 seeds in the East, (Sixers, Bucks, Heat) were the only teams above 50 wins.
Looking at the West's top 3 and the East's top 3. Could the Bucks or the Heat honestly top the Lakers or Spurs in a 7 game series? The West at that time was far superior to the East it wasn't even funny
A.I. and company had an easy road to the Finals, and what happened when they got their? They got lucky in Game 1, and then they got handled the next 4 games by a significantly superior Lakers team led by Shaq and Kobe.
Whereas look at the havoc that the Steph and the Warriors are recking upon the league, they're doing it while having 3 of their 4 biggest threats to repeat in the same conference, (Spurs, Clippers, Thunder). Funny thing is that in any other year, those 3 teams would be the absolute favorites, head and shoulders above the other teams to emerge from the Western Conference and fight for the NBA Title. The Warriors have faced those 3 teams 6 times this year, they're 6-0, and in 4 of those games Curry went off. He single handedly destroyed the Spurs' #1 rated defense back in January, and what he just did to the Thunder is something that the Thunder and their fans are going to have an extremely difficult time bouncing back from.

Curry is better than Iverson.... and I think Iverson knows it:
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25482437/iverson-is-in-awe-of-stephen-curry-says-warriors-guard-is-unreal

"That dude. That light-skinned dude. Ahhhh, man. I never seen anything like this in my life. I was a certified killer, but this dude has it all. He got the jumper, his handles is what it is... God, man. This dude right here is unreal."

PAOerfulone said:

No he's not.
As much as A.I. was not afraid to take it straight to the hole and absorb contact, Curry is not afraid to pull up from 35 and swish it right between the defender's eyes.
And naturally you're going to average 10 free throws a game when you're that small driving into the post where the giant trees await.
But let me ask you this:
If A.I. takes 20 free throws, and Steph takes 20. Who has the best chance at making all of them?
You don't think Steph could average 10 free throws a game if he wanted to? And I'd bet you money that if he did, he'd still be shooting above 90% as opposed to A.I.'s 80%.
He's just as deadly inside the paint as he is behind the arc, he is capable of drawing contact and converting And-One opportunities.
But he doesn't do that because that's not where he's deadliest. When he's behind the arc is where he's going to kill you, and he knows it.

And A.I. was never the game-changer that Curry is. That one year he led the Sixers to the Finals (also helps when you've got a guy who won Defensive Player of the Year, named Dikembe Mutumbo locking down the paint) , who did they have to play against in the East?
All of the best teams in the league at the time were out West, (Lakers, Kings, Spurs) During that year, seeds 1-7 in the West had over 50 wins each. The top 3 seeds in the East, (Sixers, Bucks, Heat) were the only teams above 50 wins.
Looking at the West's top 3 and the East's top 3. Could the Bucks or the Heat honestly top the Lakers or Spurs in a 7 game series? The West at that time was far superior to the East it wasn't even funny
A.I. and company had an easy road to the Finals, and what happened when they got their? They got lucky in Game 1, and then they got handled the next 4 games by a significantly superior Lakers team led by Shaq and Kobe.
Whereas look at the havoc that the Steph and the Warriors are recking upon the league, they're doing it while having 3 of their 4 biggest threats to repeat in the same conference, (Spurs, Clippers, Thunder). Funny thing is that in any other year, those 3 teams would be the absolute favorites, head and shoulders above the other teams to emerge from the Western Conference and fight for the NBA Title. The Warriors have faced those 3 teams 6 times this year, they're 6-0, and in 4 of those games Curry went off. He single handedly destroyed the Spurs' #1 rated defense back in January, and what he just did to the Thunder is something that the Thunder and their fans are going to have an extremely difficult time bouncing back from.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25482437/iverson-is-in-awe-of-stephen-curry-says-warriors-guard-is-unreal

"That dude. That light-skinned dude. Ahhhh, man. I never seen anything like this in my life. I was a certified killer, but this dude has it all. He got the jumper, his handles is what it is... God, man. This dude right here is unreal."

You do realize that Curry has at least a three inch hight advantace on Iverson and this is basketball where talking about where height matters.  I say it again Iverson was the shortest player to ever win league MVP and most likely always will be shortest leauge MVP.  Curry so far has one great scoring season (season where he scored over 2000 points) its way to early to call him one of the greatest ever.  Plus I already said it earlier there are a lot of players that where greater scorers earlier in their career.  Her is somewhat incomplete list of players that first scored over 2000 points in a season before their 7th year in the league Karl Malone, Moses Malone, Larry Bird, Tim Duncan, LeBron James, Carmello Anthony, Oscar Robinson, Tiny Archibalt, Rick Barry, Bob Pettit, David Robinson, Dominique Wilkins, Hakeem Olajuwon, Dirk Nowitzki, Dale Elis, Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant,  Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan, Kevin Durant, James Harden, Jerry Stackhouse, Alex English, Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain, Word B Free, David Thompson, Elgin Baylor.  A fair amount of the people I listed did it without the aid of the three pointer which wasn't introduced until the 1979-80 season.  Also Dan Issel and Julius Erving would have been on that list if they started their careers in the NBA instead of the ABA.

Soundwave said:
The thing with it is I don't know if this is the "real" Steph Curry, or if this is just a red-hot season where everything is going right for him.

We've seen good players elevate to incredible levels for bursts at a time (i.e.: Dwayne Wade and Dirk Nowitzki in Dallas' title run).

Previous to this season Curry didn't have a year over 25 ppg or ever shot over 50% in his career.

If it was his 2nd or 3rd season I'd say yeah, this is just natural improvement, but this is like his 7th year in the league which is unusual. If he's putting up the same numbers a year from now, I'll say its legit, but right now I'm a little skeptical.

To be honest, a lot of the shots he takes are bad shots, he just a knack for making them, but he's not that fundamental of player, I dunno.

This, its way too early to call Curry one of the all time greats.  So far he had one great season (this seson). 

Curry is the best shooter the NBA has ever seen, period.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
Soundwave said:
The thing with it is I don't know if this is the "real" Steph Curry, or if this is just a red-hot season where everything is going right for him.

We've seen good players elevate to incredible levels for bursts at a time (i.e.: Dwayne Wade and Dirk Nowitzki in Dallas' title run).

Previous to this season Curry didn't have a year over 25 ppg or ever shot over 50% in his career.

If it was his 2nd or 3rd season I'd say yeah, this is just natural improvement, but this is like his 7th year in the league which is unusual. If he's putting up the same numbers a year from now, I'll say its legit, but right now I'm a little skeptical.

To be honest, a lot of the shots he takes are bad shots, he just a knack for making them, but he's not that fundamental of player, I dunno.

This, its way too early to call Curry one of the all time greats.  So far he had one great season (this seson). 

But what about last season? When he was named MVP and got a ring.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Or the two seasons before when he broke the 3 point record for the first time and lead the Warriros to their first 50 win season for the first time in 20 years.

Chris Hu said:
PAOerfulone said:

No he's not.
But let me ask you this:

You do realize that Curry has at least a three inch hight advantace on Iverson and this is basketball where talking about where height matters.  I say it again Iverson was the shortest player to ever win league MVP and most likely always will be shortest leauge MVP.  Curry so far has one great scoring season (season where he scored over 2000 points) its way to early to call him one of the greatest ever.  Plus I already said it earlier there are a lot of players that where greater scorers earlier in their career.  Her is somewhat incomplete list of players that first scored over 2000 points in a season before their 7th year in the league Karl Malone, Moses Malone, Larry Bird, Tim Duncan, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Oscar Robinson, Tiny Archibalt, Rick Barry, Bob Pettit, David Robinson, Dominique Wilkins, Hakeem Olajuwon, Dirk Nowitzki, Dale Elis, Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant,  Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan, Kevin Durant, James Harden, Jerry Stackhouse, Alex English, Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain, Word B Free, David Thompson, Elgin Baylor.  A fair amount of the people I listed did it without the aid of the three pointer which wasn't introduced until the 1979-80 season.  Also Dan Issel and Julius Erving would have been on that list if they started their careers in the NBA instead of the ABA.

Aside from Michael, Larry, Wilt, and maybe Duncan, if I had to pick one of those guys to build a team around, I'd take Curry.
Just because Curry is the first player to actually take full advantage of the 3 point line since it was introduced, that's his fault?
I'm not taking anything away from those guys who came before him, but Curry is SPECIAL! He's the greatest shooter, ever. And did Curry not have a great scoring season last year when he broke his own 3 point record?!? While shooting 49-44-91 percentages. He may not have avaraged 30 or scored 2000, but his team won the championship didn't they and he won the MVP. And's he's winning it again this year, that's a forgone conclusion at this point.
But you and I can exchange all these stats back and forth but in the words of Bill Russell, the greatest winner ever and the ultimate champion:
"The only statistic that matters in basketball is the Final Score."
Basically, winning is what matters in the end, and Steph has won a considerable amount already (MVP, Championship) And it'd be a loser's bet to bet against him winning more.
And if you won't listen to what Allen Iverson himself is saying, then I don't know what else to tell you.

outlawauron said:
Chris Hu said:

But what about last season? When he was named MVP and got a ring.

Last year was a good season but not a great season.  The best player doesn't win the the MVP all the time if that would be the case then Jordan would have at least six instead of five.  James Harden should have been MVP since he really had the best season last year.

Currry isn't that special I say it again it took him seven years for his scoring to reach elite status (over 2000 points in one season).  All the people that I listed and a couple more since its incomplete where elite scorers before Curry.  If he really was that special he would have elevated his game to where it is now in less then five seasons.