By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Stephen Curry is...

What do you think of Stephen Curry?

Incredible 50 29.41%

Spectacular 25 14.71%

Unreal 27 15.88%

Overrated 16 9.41%

Small 1 0.59%

Hyped-up. 4 2.35%

Best in the World 21 12.35%

A Bad Shot taker 2 1.18%

Pretty Good 13 7.65%

Meh Give me (insert player here) 11 6.47%

Total:170
PAOerfulone said:

Curry's not a shooting guard though. O___o

He is though he just starting at the point spot since GS doesn't have a pure point guard and neither have most teams in the NBA.

Around the Network

Alright, but even still:
A.I. better than Curry??
I love A.I., but there was no way he was better in his prime than what Curry is now.

PAOerfulone said:

Alright, but even still:
A.I. better than Curry??
I love A.I., but there was no way he was better in his prime than what Curry is now.

You aren't old enough to have seen A.I. at his prime.  Plus that 76ers team he took to the finals had even less talent then any of the two Cavs teams LeBron got to the finals.  Curry is better at shooting three pointers.  A.I. was a better overall scorer despite only being six feet tall he wasn't afraid to take it to the basket and score in the paint at his prime he got to the free throw line over ten times per game.  Also Curry is pretty overrated as a scorer this year will be his first season where he will have scored over two thousand points in a season and its already his 7th year in the league there are dozens of players that got their first season where they scored over 2000 points a lot sooner.

Chris Hu said:

You aren't old enough to have seen A.I. at his prime.  Plus that 76ers team he took to the finals had even less talent then any of the two Cavs teams LeBron got to the finals.  Curry is better at shooting three pointers.  A.I. was a better overall scorer despite only being six feet tall he wasn't afraid to take it to the basket and score in the paint at his prime he got to the free throw line over ten times per game.  Also Curry is pretty overrated as a scorer this year will be his first season where he will have scored over two thousand points in a season and its already his 7th year in the league there are dozens of players that got their first season where they scored over 2000 points a lot sooner.

Iverson was one of the best ever at attacking the paint and he was a great scorer.  However, I think being one-dimensional hurts him in comparison to some of the other greatest players.  He wasn't much of a passer and his defense was based totally on the Barkley method of going for the steal.  Teams that could slow down the game and play tough half-court defense could make life difficult for him, especially when his outside shot wasn't falling.  On the other hand, if he'd had another scorer to play with, maybe he wouldn't have gotten so beaten up going to the rim.  He got knocked to the ground like every other play.  I remember teams clamping down on Iverson and just giving Eric Snow the open shot, which obviously wasn't a great option for Philly.  Of course, now that I think about it, his assist total would have probably been higher if anyone else on the team could make a shot.

Curry overrated as a scorer?!?
You have got to be freaking kidding me!!!
Curry is averaging 30.7 Points Per Game this season, while shooting 52% from the Field, 46% from Threes, 91% from the Line. If he keeps it up, he will be the FIRST PLAYER IN NBA HISTORY TO HAVE A 50-40-90 SEASON WHILE AVERAGING OVER 30.0 PPG!!!
That has never been done before!! Not even Larry  or Michael ever did that!!! And that guy is only turning 28 years old in March!! He still has the best 4-5 years of his career ahead of him, so if he stays healthy and continues to improve chances are he could do it multiple times!!
Also, it isn't just 3s that Curry is deadly, he's among the league leaders in points in the paint, so he can attack the rim just as well as he can shoot the three.
And maybe you're forgetting that A.I. played well over 40+ minutes a game, and Curry is not even averaging over 36.
Also, A.I. missed a lot more than he made.
Let's take a look at the 2 players head to head by comparing, say: A.I.'s MVP year vs Steph this year.

Allen Iverson 2000-2001:
31.1 PPG 3.8 RPG. 4.1 APG. 2.5 SPG. 42 Minutes. 42% from the Field. 32% from Three. 81% from the Line.
Stephen Curry 2015-2016:
30.7 PPG 5.3 RPG 6.6 APG 2.1 SPG 34 Minutes 52% from THE field 46% from Three. 91% from the Line.

Curry's career percentages from the field are also considerably higher than A.I.'s
A.I.: 43-31-78
Curry: 48-45-90
Curry may not have scored as much as A.I. did back in the day, but when Curry does score, he makes it count and gets results,  just like he made it count and got results last night against the Thunder in overtime.
Sorry, but A.I. is not better than Curry

Around the Network

The thing with it is I don't know if this is the "real" Steph Curry, or if this is just a red-hot season where everything is going right for him.

We've seen good players elevate to incredible levels for bursts at a time (i.e.: Dwayne Wade and Dirk Nowitzki in Dallas' title run).

Previous to this season Curry didn't have a year over 25 ppg or ever shot over 50% in his career.

If it was his 2nd or 3rd season I'd say yeah, this is just natural improvement, but this is like his 7th year in the league which is unusual. If he's putting up the same numbers a year from now, I'll say its legit, but right now I'm a little skeptical.

To be honest, a lot of the shots he takes are bad shots, he just a knack for making them, but he's not that fundamental of player, I dunno.

PAOerfulone said:

Curry is averaging 30.7 Points Per Game this season, while shooting 52% from the Field, 46% from Threes, 91% from the Line. If he keeps it up, he will be the FIRST PLAYER IN NBA HISTORY TO HAVE A 50-40-90 SEASON WHILE AVERAGING OVER 30.0 PPG!!!
That has never been done before!! Not even Larry  or Michael ever did that!!! And that guy is only turning 28 years old in March!! He still has the best 4-5 years of his career ahead of him, so if he stays healthy and continues to improve chances are he could do it multiple times!!
Also, it isn't just 3s that Curry is deadly, he's among the league leaders in points in the paint, so he can attack the rim just as well as he can shoot the three.
And maybe you're forgetting that A.I. played well over 40+ minutes a game, and Curry is not even averaging over 36.
Let's take a look at the 2 players head to head by comparing, say: A.I.'s MVP year vs Steph this year.

Allen Iverson 2000-2001:
31.1 PPG 3.8 RPG. 4.1 APG. 2.5 SPG. 42 Minutes. 42% from the Field. 32% from Three. 81% from the Line.
Stephen Curry 2015-2016:
30.7 PPG 5.3 RPG 6.6 APG 2.1 SPG 34 Minutes 52% from THE field 46% from Three. 91% from the Line.

Curry's career percentages from the field are also considerably higher than A.I.'s
Curry may not have scored as much as A.I. did back in the day, but when Curry does score, he makes it count and gets results,  just like he made it count and got results last night against the Thunder in overtime.

He is and he was especially since you have to put into consideration that he is three inches shorter then Curry and I say it again he was fearless when it comes to taking it to the basket since he averaged over ten free throw attempts in his prime most front court players don't even get to the line that often.

PAOerfulone said:

Allen Iverson 2000-2001:
Stephen Curry 2015-2016:

I don't like blindly holding up stats as an absolute very much.  Context is always important.  Yeah, it's great that Curry might have a 50-40-90 season but it in no way means it would necessarily be a better season than that of someone who was better in other ways.  Jordan could change a game on defense alone when he wanted, Bird was one of the best passers in the league while playing small forward, and Tim Duncan went for wins instead of stats.

This is especially true with Iverson when he was in Philly.  He was the only scoring option on a team built around defense.  He had to play long minutes because his team needed him pretty much all the time, and he was always banged up.  I'm not saying that if you put Curry on those 76ers it would be the same result, no one knows the answer to that, but I'm willing to bet that his numbers would go down across the board.

So, yeah, stats are awesome but, without context, they're just numbers.

Despite never having a very good supporting cast his career assist average is 6.2 assist per game which isn't too bad.  Also since he was barely six feet tall he is and most likely alway will be the shortest player to win the league MVP award.

You see, here's the thing: When it comes to Stephen Curry, there is no such thing as a bad shot, a contested 30 ft 3 as like a contested free throw line jumpshot for him. And so what if it's his 7th year in the league, isn't that natural improvement as well, what's unusual about it? Last year, he was the MVP. The year before he was in his first All-Star game. The year before THAT, he broke the 3 point single season record (for the first time) and the Warriors finally made the playoffs their first year with him on the roster. He was an all-star calibur player throughout those first few years from 2012 to 2014. Then last year he elevated to superstar, and this year he elevated to Best Player in the World.

You think this kind of success just happens overnight? No, it doesn't,
Curry busted his ass off for years and years, working on his game, and his jumpshot, to get to the level he is at right now. And it's not like he's this 6'7"-6'9" athletic freak of nature that can fly through the air and dunk or shoot over the top of people like LeBron or Durant. Being 6'3" and 190 pounds, and can barely reach the rim, he doesn't have the athletic or physical advantage that those guys do, so he had to do it the hard way, which was work, work, and work on your game night in and night out, nonstop until you get to that level. Make no mistake about it, his game is 100% fundamentals. THE LITTLE FUNDAMENTAL
And he was ALWAYS doubted. "Oh, he's too small." "Oh, he's just a 3-point shooter." "Oh, he'll never be a superstar." "Oh, he's not an MVP type player." Time and time again he was looked over and shoved aside, even when he was coming out of high school, Davidson was the only college that really wanted him, all of the big schools passed on him. What did he do with Davidson? Took them to the Elite 8. He has continously proven the doubters and critics wrong over and over again, he is truly an underdog, which makes his rise to the top of the basketball mountain and the run he is having that much more amazing to watch and experience!
Not his fault he wasn't labeled as a "Chosen One" straight from the draft combine like LeBron or Durant were. I remember the weeks heading into that draft, and heading into it the fans, the media, and the reporters couldn't shut up about Blake Griffin.
Plus, he had to deal with nagging ankle injuries early on in his career which halted his development.
As for Wade and Dirk.
Wade was one of the 3 best players in the world alongside Kobe and LeBron from 2008-2011, top 10 player in the league from 2006-2013, and don't forget about how he single-handingly put the Heat on his back in 2006 and led them to the promise land. It's just that age and taking a back seat to LeBron in Miami for a long time have diminished his skills to wear he's not at that level anymore.
And Dirk has ALWAYS been that great of a player. He was the MVP in 2007 and the Mavericks went to the Finals the year before!!! And that title run in 2011 was the absolute peak of his career. During that brief run, he was the best player on the planet. Nobody could stop him.
Even now, at 37 years old he's averaging 18 points on 45-39-89 percentages. That wasn't a one time thing for Dirk in 2011, he's been doing that his entire career, the dude just cracked 29,000 points for crying out loud!!