By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Did Street Fighter V Bomb?

Did Street Fighter V bomb?

Yes 391 60.43%

No 256 39.57%

Total:647
walsufnir said:
Rafie said:

Nope. That ain't happening. As far as X1 and NX getting the game. Sony helped pay for this game to be developed. I'm sure there are stipulations in that contract to negate any rendition of this particular numbered game going elsewhere but PS4/PC. Besides, Capcom has stated numerous times that SFV will be the only game you will ever need. They are going to add DLC to just this game. No super/hyper/mega/turbo/deluxe edition is coming for this "numbered" series.

Talking about money well spent? I mean, when you consider the current content of the game, one might wonder how exactly Sony's money was worth it, how much they actually spent and what would have been possible for Capcom without Sony's money.

Well worth can be up for debate. It's still way too early to make these kind of assumptions. Point is, it's common knowledge now that Sony helped pay development cost to fund "Street Fighter V". That's why it's exclusive. Same way Dead Rising 3 is only Xbox One/PC. This is no different than that situation with MS.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network
Rafie said:
walsufnir said:

Talking about money well spent? I mean, when you consider the current content of the game, one might wonder how exactly Sony's money was worth it, how much they actually spent and what would have been possible for Capcom without Sony's money.

Well worth can be up for debate. It's still way too early to make these kind of assumptions. Point is, it's common knowledge now that Sony helped pay development cost to fund "Street Fighter V". That's why it's exclusive. Same way Dead Rising 3 is only Xbox One/PC. This is no different than that situation with MS.

Of course the situation is not different but I don't remember that DR3 was considered as "incomplete". Well, of course one can argue whether SF5 is incomplete or you get what they promised before ;)

walsufnir said:
Rafie said:

Of course the situation is not different but I don't remember that DR3 was considered as "incomplete". Well, of course one can argue whether SF5 is incomplete or you get what they promised before ;)

Can't argue there. SFV is certainly "incomplete". Very botched launch with underwhelming content to boot, in my opinion. I was just speaking from an objective point of view. Yeah DR3 was amazing and....complete. :)

SFV is the kind of game that will certainly have staying power.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

The thing that SFV has going for it is that it's used for Tournaments. So I think the sells will start to pick up. Especially because of this: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/feb/22/street-fighter-5-breaks-evos-most-entrants-record-just-four-days/

So while I think the legs comment is always just an excuse most of the time. I could really see it doing well here. On top of that when comparing to the last entries numbers we have to remember to include digital. So add an extra 20% for all numbers

walsufnir said:
http://gematsu.com/2016/02/media-create-sales-21516-22116

So it sold 41,990 units in Japan.

GAF:
"For reference, IV sold about 124,000 copies in its launch in February '09.

01. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (Nintendo) 193,000 / NEW
02. [PS3] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) 86,000 / NEW
03. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou (Namco Bandai) 40,000 / NEW
04. [PS2] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou (Namco Bandai) 38,000 / NEW
05. [360] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) 38,000 / NEW "

I know, legs and all that, but it really sounds like it bombed currently.

This year we have 5 Releases to fight for the top 10 on Japan, all on the same week,  and one was a lot awaited, Atack on Titan,

Kan Colle Kai, is a game that have a lot of Fan-base on Japan, the free-to-play game already had more than 3 Millions of users, the serie have Manga, a Anime Adaptation, is Making a Movie, so is something big on Japan, Project Setsuna, Square Enix's Special game to try to make the Old-JRPG back on the map. on the other week  of the Street Fighter IV's Launch seems that Only had to compete with Mario & Luigi, and Gundam, as the Releases.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Rafie said:

The Brazilian's Localization was Incomplete, the Voice acting seems that the Voice Actors, have the same Voice and the same Acting skill, as the voice of Google Translator's Woman.

Street Fighter V, came incomplete only because of Capcom's Pro Tour, but will have heavy support and will have great legs because will have a lot of Tournaments, they will Add everything later, but the Launch is Broken.

People seems to condem the game only because the game did not was on the First Spot on UK.

With Steam + Japan + UK, we have over 166 Thousands units sold, only with 4 Countries + Steam, still have Dozens of other countries, and even the USA Numbers,  I Don't know why the owner of the Thread, said that the game would do just 250 Thousands First week, Worldwide.

even with Japan, UK, USA, and Steam, already is more than 250 Thousands, and still have Germany, France, so i think that this thread is to Down-play Street Fighter, the game will sell 1 Millions units much faster, and on a much slower Sales season, than Rise of the Tomb Raider, even without Steam.

And comparing Street Fighter, to Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter V, sold 103-105 Thousands first week on Steam, and Mortal Kombat X, sold 123-125 Thousands on Steam, so is not so bad.

And about being worth, Of course the Deal is worth, If games like Tekken, or Street Fighter, does not appear on other console, this will make the Xbox, have less appeal for the Fighting genre fans, than the other console, and the player will either purchase the Playstation, or play on PC, Fighting games have a lot of Fans, Tekken 6 + Tag Tournament 2 + Street Fighter IV, with all the versions, sold over 14-15 Millions together.

Swordmasterman said:
walsufnir said:

The Brazilian's Localization was Incomplete, the Voice acting seems that the Voice Actors, have the same Voice and the same Acting skill, as the voice of Google Translator's Woman.

Street Fighter V, came incomplete only because of Capcom's Pro Tour, but will have heavy support and will have great legs because will have a lot of Tournaments, they will Add everything later, but the Launch is Broken.

People seems to condem the game only because the game did not was on the First Spot on UK.

With Steam + Japan + UK, we have over 166 Thousands units sold, only with 4 Countries + Steam, still have Dozens of other countries, and even the USA Numbers,  I Don't know why the owner of the Thread, said that the game would do just 250 Thousands First week, Worldwide.

even with Japan, UK, USA, and Steam, already is more than 250 Thousands, and still have Germany, France, so i think that this thread is to Down-play Street Fighter, the game will sell 1 Millions units much faster, and on a much slower Sales season, than Rise of the Tomb Raider, even without Steam.

And comparing Street Fighter, to Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter V, sold 103-105 Thousands first week on Steam, and Mortal Kombat X, sold 123-125 Thousands on Steam, so is not so bad.

And about being worth, Of course the Deal is worth, If games like Tekken, or Street Fighter, does not appear on other console, this will make the Xbox, have less appeal for the Fighting genre fans, than the other console, and the player will either purchase the Playstation, or play on PC, Fighting games have a lot of Fans, Tekken 6 + Tag Tournament 2 + Street Fighter IV, with all the versions, sold over 14-15 Millions together.

Hell, it has more than that in pre-orders alone: 

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/42414/USA/

Street Fighter V (PS4)
Capcom, Fighting
1 28,651 274,321

Over 274,000 pre-orders on PS4, and over 100,000 sales on Steam with US sales still incoming.

It's already sold more than ROTTR did in its opening week on 360 and XB1. That sold 330,000 sales WW in its first week. 

I think third party companies are getting the message that console exclusives are a bad idea.

This isn't the PS2 era anymore, people expect all "big" third party games to be multi-plat (and that's great ... more power to the consumer), if you're hiding your game away, it just comes off as a "small" release.

With development budgets the way they are these days, I think many companies are going to get the message now -- console exclusives are a bad idea.

Everyone is always so ready to hop on the "fuck this new game" bandwagon. It's depressing. Is anyone excited about games coming out anymore?

Soundwave said:
I think third party companies are getting the message that console exclusives are a bad idea.

This isn't the PS2 era anymore, people expect all "big" third party games to be multi-plat (and that's great ... more power to the consumer), if you're hiding your game away, it just comes off as a "small" release.

With development budgets the way they are these days, I think many companies are going to get the message now -- console exclusives are a bad idea.

Exclusives are not a bad Idea, look at BloodBorne, for example, it did very well, look at Dragon Quest games, also did very well, we will need to wait and see Ace Combat, and Ni-Oh, but of course they will do well too, Exclusives are good for the Industrie, and Street Fighter V, is not a Exclusive, is a PS4/PC Tittle, so is Multiplataform, Its natural that Japanese games will be atleast console exclusive for Playstation, the Xbox One, sold less on 1 Whole year, including launch, than Xbox 360, did on Launch on Japan, and Capcom, was Broken, so they could not focus on Multiple Versions, they chose the PS4, and PC, Sony, also helped on the Development, and is Really making all the Marketing alone, Plus is making a lot of Marketing for Capcom Pro Tour.