By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Did Street Fighter V Bomb?

Did Street Fighter V bomb?

Yes 391 60.43%

No 256 39.57%

Total:647

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/street_fighter_5/news/street_fighter_v_sells_less_than_street_fighter_iv_in_opening_week.html

Failed to top UK charts, and according to neogaf, Street Fighter V<23,400 in the UK FW on all platforms (retail). Steam sales are also hovering around 100k, though these are WW figures. Capcom was expecting 2 million sales shipped by March 31st of this year.

Clearly sales aren't going to reach 2 million by the end of March, and even if those are unrealistic, guessing from the figure's we do have, I could bet it barely reached 250k WW on all platforms. Now it could have great legs, but given what we have right now, alot of people where pissed at the lack of content. 

Sources (neogaf): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=196204214&postcount=1

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=196204301&postcount=7

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network

No, it didn't. Fighters aren't as big as they were in the early 90's so when you look at unit sales, you need to view them differently.

Killer Instinct started with not much content but got updated since the start of the gen and new people are getting the game every years... the same wil apply to SFV I think.

Sony foot the bill, it's all gravy.

It is still the best fighter next gen where it counts.

AlfredoTurkey said:
No, it didn't. Fighters aren't as big as they were in the early 90's so when you look at unit sales, you need to view them differently.

"Capcom was expecting 2 million sales shipped by March 31st of this year."

I also did read on neogaf that the PS3 version outsold it 2:1, though I'll have to look into it more.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I also did read on neogaf that the PS3 version outsold it 2:1, though I'll have to look into it more.

I guess Capcom didn't get the memo either lol. My guess is that they figured they could ship based on IP rep alone and that didn't happen. Social networks have such an impact of games these days that getting away with shipping a hard core title half finished is almost impossible.

We can't say it bombed until we get more sales data and compare that to previous SF game sales.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

AlfredoTurkey said:
barneystinson69 said:

I guess Capcom didn't get the memo either lol. My guess is that they figured they could ship based on IP rep alone and that didn't happen. Social networks have such an impact of games these days that getting away with shipping a hard core title half finished is almost impossible.

Ok, but how exactly does that refute my point? I'm not saying your wrong, but given what we have, it seems like SFV will not even come close to SFIV numbers (which did 8 million btw).

The game's legs will determine that.

AlfredoTurkey said:

laughs while holding onto Super Smash Bros. games

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.