By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Prediction: Microsoft will launch the Xbox Two in 2017 or 2018

When will the Xbox Two launch?

this year 22 3.14%

in 2017 34 4.86%

in 2018 147 21.00%

in 2019 239 34.14%

in 2020 156 22.29%

after 2020 102 14.57%

Total:700

If they did it will bomb so hard it's not even funny. People who buy consoles don't want to spend $400 on a new console so soon. if they wanted frequent hardware updates they'd game on pc.

Around the Network
AZWification said:

That would be an awful idea. MS would gain nothing from doing that.

Just like they gained nothing with x360, oh wait.

Qwark said:
Thunderbird77 said:

Not even close.

Why not if I may ask, it´s still tracking ahead of it´s predecessor which sold over 80 million, and yet you think Xone will sell less than 30 million units, whereas the 360 sold over 50 million units. I suspect Xone got at least 4 years left before it´s lifespan is completed, so why couldn´t sell 7,5 million a year, especially if the holiday season is very good for Xone each year.

Tracking a little ahead of a machine that peaked late in it's lifecycle doesn't mean much. X1 doesn't even have half of 4 years left before completing it's lifespan. Sales will decrease a lot very soon and it will never recover.

Conina said:
Gamemaster87 said:

The Xbox One is selling terrible compared to the PS4. In some regions like Germany or France it gets outsold by the Wii U. In Japan nobody cares for the console. Microsoft is losing much ground in all these regions. They need to move on in order to get back what they once "owned"

What do you think? IMO everything points towards that Microsoft is planning to replace the Xbox One ASAP.

Thunderbird77 said:

Thore are the most probable years.

It's hilarious that two of the few people that don't even see the possibility of a Wii U successor after 4 years are seeing 2017 for the XBO successor as one of the "most probable years" although the XBO is selling much better and has also much better acceptance/support by third party developers/publishers.

I don't know who you think you quoted but you'd better get your eyes checked.

exdeath said:

That said I'm not sure what's wrong with XBox One sales.  They could sell 900 million Xbox Ones and it would be labeled a failure if another platform sold 1 billion.  It's Call of Duty syndrome all over again, where anything else that doesn't sell a bajillion copies day one is a catastrophic failure, doesn't matter that some of the most beloved and successful games of all time sold less than 1 million units lifetime.  It's the same thing as businesses always expecting record breaking profits.  You can't break records every single year nonstop. Eventually the bubble pops.  Just because you didn't beat last year doesn’t mean you're a failure.

You can always find some other product that outsold yours.  Doesn't mean you aren't successful.

The console market is very different from other markets : it's quite a small market (compared to TV/smartphone sales), you can only have one model every few years, consoles don't have any compatibility with other brands so you need a rather big market share to be supported and survive. So it's different from a car maker that can happily make profits with 5% shares.  If a car company is little, you can still drive their cars.  If a console maker has 5% shares, you will not get games. That's why there is only place for 3 constructors, and one can die very fast (Atari, Sega, etc.).

Around the Network

I'd say 2019 at the earliest. Doesn't MS profit with the XOne anyway?

I think the next XBox will basically be Microsoft's version of the STEAM box concept, you'll be able to buy various different hardware configs that are Windows boxes.

And yeah I can see it in 2018. The main reason the last gen went on for so long is because Sony and MS needed the extra time to recoup early gen losses (RROD for Microsoft, huge prices cuts for PS3). That didn't happen this gen, so MS is probably eager to reset the generation after 5 years this time. 

I dont think so, that would enrage theyre userbase I think, its too fast ppl who invested on the XOne will feel cheated. 2019-2020 is a more likely release date imo.

TheGoldenBoy said:
2017 sounds way too soon.

2018 is definitely the more likely out of the two.

However, I'm expecting their next console, if they make one, in 2019.

To bring out a new XBox  in 2017 would be a slap in the face for all XB1 owners although I do admit that Microsoft has some of the best PR people in the busness.

It is possible that there will be a reveal in 2017 and judging on how well it is received (ie. pre orders) we could see a new XBox arrouf November 2017. If that does not happen then Novemeber 2018  which would be 5 years from the XB1.

One of the major problems with with choosing x86_64 architecture is that it is extreemly easy to change the processor and memory. The only problem would be the motherboard which may need a redesign although from design to layout testing to actual production can be done in a mater of months or even weeks so I am sure that Microsoft is well aware that if they come out early then Sony need only match or surpass (most likely) their specifications and this can be done fairly rapidly.

No. Microsoft knows at this point that is not smart to try and launch two consoles within Sony's developmental decade. It will only make Sony stronger. Besides, they've sold nearly double what Nintendo sold in half the time. No need to stop the money train because people are still buying Xboxes.