By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Pokemon to play first?

BraLoD said:
Cloudman said:

Yeeah, Gen 2 just had so many great things about it. I feel pokemon games after gen 2 haven't reached the greatness it had. : ( I hope some day a pokemon game lets you go to different regions like Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, all of them if ever possible...

I was expecting Nintendo to step up and make this game happen this year, some years ago, to the 20th anniverssary.
Starting in a new region or Kanto and going through them all, making a freaking huge game when you can actually catch'em all.
Oh boy, that would be amazing...

It wouldn't work on so many levels x~x I don't understand why people feel this will ever happen. They got rid of the Catch'em all slogan for a reason XD

Around the Network

Wait for a remake of Red Green and Blue for Pokemon's 30th anniversary...hopefully.

The first one I played was on the gba and when I tried to play red I just couldn't get into it. You should really play the remakes instead and then go in order till the last ones

BraLoD said:
StarOcean said:

It wouldn't work on so many levels x~x I don't understand why people feel this will ever happen. They got rid of the Catch'em all slogan for a reason XD

Why would it not work?

Just make the professor or the next region grab your pokes and give you a started at every new region, then later you can face a super badass league of like 15 elite trainers in a row (from all regions) and get back all your pokes.

It would be so cool and feel like an big adventure like the anime went for and Red, Gold, and all those trainer you once were in previous games, like Gen 2 but way bigger!

It's just redundant and would get boring. I don't think people realize how unimagnative and dull the experience would be. I played this one ROM that had all the regions, it really was just eh you're just seeing stuff you've already seen before a hundred times over. And what, you up the level cap? To 300? 400? Your Pokemon would be wayyy over leveled by the time you reached Hoenn. Some people suggest getting new starters and such... but why start over again ever region? XD That's not fun. What people are really asking for is a Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls deal where you have multiple games in one place. It would be time better spent on creating new Pokemon and new regions than redoing the games for the 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th time in a row. That'd be what, a few hundred hours of content? Probably more counting the X/Y engine? The majority of people who buy it (the casuals) wont play through it and GameFreak knows that. It'd be better to have a mega region than to have another redone "been there, done that" again... I'll never understand the whole "all regions" thing people beg for. However the chances of a game like that being made are about the same as Ridley making it into Smash as a playable fighter. So its not even worth debating over

FireRed and LeafGreen are great remakes of the first generation games, so I'd say you should start with them!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Cloudman said:

Yeeah, Gen 2 just had so many great things about it. I feel pokemon games after gen 2 haven't reached the greatness it had. : ( I hope some day a pokemon game lets you go to different regions like Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, all of them if ever possible...

I was expecting Nintendo to step up and make this game happen this year, some years ago, to the 20th anniverssary.
Starting in a new region or Kanto and going through them all, making a freaking huge game when you can actually catch'em all.
Oh boy, that would be amazing...

Yeah, it would be pretty dang awesome, but I don't think it'll ever happen again sadly. : < Dunno why they can't at least do 2/3 regions in one game. That would be awesome. Revisiting Kanto after beating Johto was one of the best parts of Silver/Gold, beating all the gym leaders again and seeing how the place changed. I wish in one gen game, they would do it again at least one more time... T_T

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

StarOcean said:
BraLoD said:

Why would it not work?

Just make the professor or the next region grab your pokes and give you a started at every new region, then later you can face a super badass league of like 15 elite trainers in a row (from all regions) and get back all your pokes.

It would be so cool and feel like an big adventure like the anime went for and Red, Gold, and all those trainer you once were in previous games, like Gen 2 but way bigger!

It's just redundant and would get boring. I don't think people realize how unimagnative and dull the experience would be. I played this one ROM that had all the regions, it really was just eh you're just seeing stuff you've already seen before a hundred times over. And what, you up the level cap? To 300? 400? Your Pokemon would be wayyy over leveled by the time you reached Hoenn. Some people suggest getting new starters and such... but why start over again ever region? XD That's not fun. What people are really asking for is a Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls deal where you have multiple games in one place. It would be time better spent on creating new Pokemon and new regions than redoing the games for the 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th time in a row. That'd be what, a few hundred hours of content? Probably more counting the X/Y engine? The majority of people who buy it (the casuals) wont play through it and GameFreak knows that. It'd be better to have a mega region than to have another redone "been there, done that" again... I'll never understand the whole "all regions" thing people beg for. However the chances of a game like that being made are about the same as Ridley making it into Smash as a playable fighter. So its not even worth debating over

I think that sort of game would be awesome to play actually xD Clearing through regions and having other ones open up to you? I think that would be pretty sweet. And it wasn't that bad in Silver/Gold. Since you had everything you needed from finishing Johto, Kanta was a breeze to get through and could be completed rather quickly. So I figure going through multiple or even all of them wouldn't be that bad. And you would have one epic game if you could go to every region and get the badges for all of them. xD

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Honestly,the single player adventure in Pokemon has never been great.

Blue and Red are highly regarded as the best because they were wayyy ahead of their time compared to today,taking a RPG with you with 150+ playable characters that you can train and trade was ground breaking for 1998. Problem is this is 2016.

If you're the kind of guy who can handle retro, then I really recommend starting from the beginning i.e. Red/Blue. They are certainly dated, but the magic that was there remains there still. However, I've noticed that people who started with the later games find it much harder to go back to the older games, perhaps because they're used to all the improvements the later games provide. That's a shame, because Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal are still to me the games that truly capture the magic of Pokémon. I don't think you should miss out on those experiences, and I'd really give them a go. An appreciation of the series' roots will go a long way into appreciating where the series is today.

mZuzek said:
AvadaKedavra said:

I think those don't hold the originals as the best pokemon games in the franchise were too young to ever experience it. They were probably exposed to the later generations first.

The originals are by far the best and the most charming. Gold & Silver are amazing as well basically an upgraded version of the originals plus 100 more pokemon. Ruby & Sapphire were good as well. Then the franchise began to get a bit stale. 

It's been said before in this thread and it's already been debunked.

I for one can say I started Pokémon with Blue, and I too believe it is very outdated and nowhere near as good as it's successors.

Debunked? I don't know about that.

I'm not saying the new generations are bad, far from it.

I just think the original three generations (Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire) were by the best, and we have Red & Blue & Yellow to thank for that. If you think they're outdated there's always the remakes/remastered versions.

As the generations went on, a lot of filler pokemon were added, became a little more overwhelming, etc.

The originals had the best charm & most magic, just the right amount of pokemon, and it was at a time when Pokemon was new, fresh and at the pinnacle of the of the hype of the franchise.