By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Pokemon to play first?

If you absolutely must play the originals, then yeah it's better to start with them as once you play the newer games you'll realize how terrible Red & Blue are.

Around the Network

I echo the sentiment that if you insist on starting from the beginning, you might as well start with Fire Red and Leaf Green on GBA. They're purely superior remakes and are just more fun and comfortable to play.

Pokemon Red being my first, and Pokemon Gold my second is the only Pokemon games I've played and need.

up to this day I still think nothing beats the original 150.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

RED

Man, not much love for the original, non-remade versions of Red and Blue. I didn't expect that. Usually, games as beloved as Pokemon (Mario, Zelda etc), their first games are cherished as classics. I guess the first Pokemon games were popular because the basic concept was just totally fresh and interesting? Are those of you who think they suck, are you guys old enough to have played the original FIRST? Because if not, that might be why there's so much backlash against them. 

Einsam_Delphin said:
If you absolutely must play the originals, then yeah it's better to start with them as once you play the newer games you'll realize how terrible Red & Blue are.

Well, that was the plan. I don't know how else I'd appreciate the improvments if I never played the original games. Although, again, I don't know how a game that was so beloved could be "terrible". People don't think the first Mario is terrible. This whole thing seems odd to me.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

Man, not much love for the original, non-remade versions of Red and Blue. I didn't expect that. Usually, games as beloved as Pokemon (Mario, Zelda etc), their first games are cherished as classics. I guess the first Pokemon games were popular because the basic concept was just totally fresh and interesting? Are those of you who think they suck, are you guys old enough to have played the original FIRST? Because if not, that might be why there's so much backlash against them. 

Einsam_Delphin said:

Well, that was the plan. I don't know how else I'd appreciate the improvments if I never played the original games. Although, again, I don't know how a game that was so beloved could be "terrible". People don't think the first Mario is terrible. This whole thing seems odd to me.

New Super Mario Bros. is basically Super Mario Bros. but with different level designs, mechanics, and power-ups, so it's more different than it is better, presentation aside, allowing the original to still be appreciated as the things unique about it have held up.

Pokemon X/Y is basically Pokemon Red/Blue but better in literally everyway. More Pokemon, more features, more gameplay depth. Outside of nostalgia there's very little reason to play a lesser version of Pokemon.

I would say Diamond or Pearl or Platinum.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Play the first generation(Red, Blue or Yellow).You cant go wrong with it.It is the best pokemon in my opinion.Sure, the graphics are obviously extremely dated, but if you can get through that, it is the best pokemon

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Just make sure you don't miss any. All of the gens are really fantastic, with gen 5 having the best story. (Especially since BW2 are continuations)

Highly recommend that gen.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

mZuzek said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

New Super Mario Bros. is basically Super Mario Bros. but with different level designs, mechanics, and power-ups, so it's more different than it is better, presentation aside, allowing the original to still be appreciated as the things unique about it have held up.

Pokemon X/Y is basically Pokemon Red/Blue but better in literally everyway. More Pokemon, more features, more gameplay depth. Outside of nostalgia there's very little reason to play a lesser version of Pokemon.

You just contradicted yourself.

X & Y are basically Red & Blue but with different level designs, mechanics, and "power-ups". Yes, they are much better, but are still different games. You should have compared Red & Blue to their GBA remakes.

@OP though, if you really want to start off from the beginning to get a feel for how the franchise evolved, I'd recommend playing either Red or Blue, and then Gold or Silver. Which ones you choose, I guess it just depends on your tastes. I would post a list of the exclusive Pokémon of each version, but if you've never been into the franchise I don't think you'll have too much of a feel for any of the Pokémon so instead of it helping on your decision, it's only going to ruin a bit of the surprise of seeing Pokémon you didn't know.

I guess in the end, for a first-timer, it doesn't really matter which version you pick - just don't play both, since they're parallel versions for a reason (they're the same game). So, as I said, play Red or Blue, and then Gold or Silver. From then on, I wouldn't bother playing the other generations in order.

Edit: and about the Red & Blue hate, don't mind it. Red & Blue are still solid enough games and I'm sure you can find enjoyment in them - it's just that us Pokémon fans know that later games completely overshadowed the originals.

Yes they're different games, but in Pokemon's case they're different mainly because they're objectively better/worse.