By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Pokemon to play first?

If you want to start from the beginning, try FireRed/LeafGreen. It corrects most of the glitches from the original games, it has better graphics and most importantly, it has running shoes.

I also recommend playing Pokemon X/Y since it's the last game and also the easiest one.

Around the Network

Silver and Gold probably.

Sooooo you currently can play 3 (4 if you count VC gen 1 but you already said that you want to pick up a phisical version of R/B so it doesn't count) different generations on the 3DS: 4th, 5th and 6th, If you buy a GBA you should be able to play a game from each generation, personally I feel like since the Pokémon franchise is so atached to the concept of Evolution that it's the best thing to do to just play them one after the other. of course instead of purchasing all three the versions for each generation pick up the third one for all of them, excluding Gen 5 where since there were 2 sequels you should pick up both one of the first two (BW) and one of the latter two (B2W2).

SmokedHostage said:
I'd go FireRed or LeafGreen > HeartGold or SoulSilver > OmegaRuby AlphaSapphire > Platinum > Black or White > Black 2 or White 2 > X/Y just to be able to get a feel for all 6 generations.

FireRed and LeafGreen would be a good choice.

Still getting to play the originals with great updates and looks.

Start with FireRead or Leaf Green

Around the Network

HeartGold/SoulSilver or FireRed/LeafGreen, the remakes are better than the originals.

Don't start with X/Y, it's the worst game in the franchise (sorry not sorry).

NNID/PSN: Kung_Kjartan

Red.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

My favourite was DDP, but I think you should start with Pokemon XY.. it's really fun and it's pretty easy too

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Red or blue is a great place to begin. Sure they've aged a bit but it's certainly not unplayable, if your really worried about it then play Fire Red/Leaf Green first, its the same game with some upgrades. Either way you should begin with gen 1 so you can learn the original 150 pokemon, x/y has an overwhelming 700+ pokemon!

Since you have a 3DS, Pokemon ORAS for sure followed by XY. Gen 3 was and still is my favorite gen. You won't forget it. And of course, I would have to recommend Fire Red/Leaf Green. These are classics that you shouldn't miss. True, they are remakes of the original red/green/blue but they stand up much higher than the old games.