By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January 2016 NPD Thread! PS4 #1

SWORDF1SH said:
jason1637 said:

Slow months usally affect the xb1 more than the ps4 with the exception of April 2015. I think the reason for this is MS, they seem to have really good deals during different times of the year ao people who want the xbone wait compared to how Sony doesn't get desperate and can maintain steady sales through the whole year especially after the holidays. 

So you want to say the major factor that PS4 might of outsold the XB1 2 to 1 is because of a slow month?Nothing to do with lower price of the fact that both consoles now retail for the same price?

The price had something to do. Xb cant compete with ps4 at the sa n e price.

Around the Network

It seems that Xb one may be turning into an event console. Sales are generally low, but at certain times of year sales have big spikes: Holidays; special deals associated with major events / game releases etc.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

jason1637 said:
SWORDF1SH said:

So you want to say the major factor that PS4 might of outsold the XB1 2 to 1 is because of a slow month?Nothing to do with lower price of the fact that both consoles now retail for the same price?

The price had something to do. Xb cant compete with ps4 at the sa n e price.

Not 'something' like it's a minor reason, it's the main reason the PS4 will outsell the XB1. 

binary solo said:
It seems that Xb one may be turning into an event console. Sales are generally low, but at certain times of year sales have big spikes: Holidays; special deals associated with major events / game releases etc.

Of Course, they don't sell well over the year, let a lot of bundles in the shelves, and need to sell it for free in the Holidays for Clear the shelves, this is Microsoft's Strategy, because of that the PR of "Best Line-Up in Xbox History".

When we will have the Hot Data ?.

Around the Network
poklane said:

“After a record-breaking holiday, 2016 is off to a great start with continued growth in Xbox Live on the strength of the unmatched lineup of games available on Xbox One. In January, the total number of hours spent gaming in one month on Xbox One worldwide surpassed 1 billion hours. Looking ahead to this spring, fans can enjoy more great games with the upcoming releases of ‘Quantum Break,’ ‘Rocket League’ and ‘Tom Clancy’s The Division.’ We can’t thank our fans enough for their continued support and passion for Xbox, and we’re looking forward to bringing more of the games and experiences our fans want most in 2016.” – Mike Nichols, Corporate Vice President, Xbox Marketing, Microsoft

Bolded part =

Dead dot gif 

Shadow1980 said:
Unless creamsugar posts something tonight, it seems like this might be the end for actual hardware numbers. I just with NPD_Mulcair would have chosen a different venue. I mean, is there some rule that says that GAF has to be the gatekeepers for all NPD data ever?

He got banned for having an alt account but it seems odd to me. I thought it was obvious that NPD_Mulcair was NPD_George and he'd changed it so he couldn't be caught quite so easily.

The PS5 Exists. 

Reading through, I forgot this was the NPD thread...

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Shadow1980 said:

I know the circumstances. It's just another example of the ridiculous moderation that goes on there. I'm just more bummed out that for years we have relied on a tiny handful of GAF members to be the sole source of NPD data, and of those people who have been nice enough to provide numbers about the only one left is cream. One person. On the whole internet. I tell you, had I won that billion-dollar lotto jackpot I would have bought NPD outright out of spite at how they treat game sales as some secret that public must never know. Assuming NPD_Mulcair was legit and not breaking any company policies, it seems like the NPD was experimenting with actually providing some numbers publicly again, but GAF's mods had to put the kibosh on that.

Don't you find it odd that we're struggling to get numbers now? Last gen we constantly got numbers, but this gen, not so much.

The PS5 Exists. 

Didn't Aquamarine register on VGC last month? I guess she might have got told to never ever reveal or even hint at NPD numbers on VGC, so perhaps we won't be seeing her again.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix