Forums - Gaming Discussion - What in your opinion is the best Halo?

Which Halo is the best?

Halo CE 38 20.99%

Halo 2 47 25.97%

Halo 3 36 19.89%

Halo 3 ODST 7 3.87%

Halo Reach 21 11.60%

Halo 4 16 8.84%

Halo 5 16 8.84%

Total:181

Halo 2 overall, but they all have a special place in my heart.

Around the Network

I loved different things about each of them more than the others.

Halo: CE stands out above the rest as an overall package. It set the course of what Halo was to be (the gameplay mechanics, the lore, the music, and the setpieces) and I don't think any of the others have had the same amount of magic and wonderment to me.

Halo 2 was a multiplayer juggernaut and I'll always look back fondly on my hundreds of hours with it.

Halo 3 came out when I had just started university so I never got into the multiplayer as much as I would have liked but I spent a good amount of time jumping into Warthogs with buddies and cruising through the campaign. And that music...

Halo 3: ODST is my second favourite Halo game overall. It was a brilliant side-story that felt more real than the other over-the-top epic Halo campaigns and the music was sublime. Firefight is my favourite Halo game mode of all time.

Reach was the one I played least of the Bungie affairs and at this point it just seemed like they were trying to finish their contract with MS. It was a good game with changes to keep up with their competing contemporaries without sacrificing the identity of Halo. Unfortunately I didn't have a whole lot of time to play it so the game faded from my memory for the most part. The performance (especially near the beginning of the game with the frame ghosting) really put a damper on my enjoyment of it. Still, it had some of the most memorable moments of all of Halo and the tone of the story did a good job of "growing up" Halo while maintaining its magic - something more recent entries have struggled with IMO.

Halo's 4 and 5 have been a mixed bag for me. While improving a lot on the gameplay side of things (as far as the control mechanics go, they're some of the best feeling games on the market ) and production values, the magic has largely gone for me. It's not even that the story or lore are poor. They're not. But that leaning on the expanded universe to feel the full breadth and importance to what's happening at any given time really hampers the ability to generate excitement in me. I wish it wasn't so, but at this stage in my life I am unable to devote the amount of time required to keep up with such an ever-expanding universe and I hope 343 can realize that this is their biggest misstep as far as the reception given from myself and many other gamers.

I played Reach more than any of the others and I really enjoyed the customizable aspect of it. Played the campaign and the multiplayer endlessly with my friend.

Halo 3 was the first Halo I ever played and I really enjoyed playing it with my friend via splitscreen, but I never bothered with the MP as I did not have broadband when it was released.

Halo 4 was great visually, but I stopped playing the MP a lot earlier than I did Reach and I never finished the campaign.

I bought Halo Anniversary and tried to play Halo 1, but I thought it was incredibly boring and devoid of any excitement or life, so I stopped playing 3/4 into the campaign.

I've never played 2, ODST, and 5, so I'm not commenting on those.

In terms of storytelling and pacing, Halo 4 is above and beyond the rest. In terms of impact, Halo CE is a nobrainer. In terms of multiplayer, Halo 5 is magnificent. A hard choice but Halo 4 is the one I would go for. I have never understood why so many liked Halo 3, I find it to be the weakest in the series.

Campaign: Halo: CE > Halo 4 > Halo 3 > Halo 2
Multiplayer: Halo 3 > Halo 2 > Halo 4 > Halo: CE

Never played Halo 5, and I have absolutely no desire to.

Around the Network

I say 2, but 3 is pretty close. I think OG trilogy is better than the rest by far IMO.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Puppyroach said:
In terms of storytelling and pacing, Halo 4 is above and beyond the rest. In terms of impact, Halo CE is a nobrainer. In terms of multiplayer, Halo 5 is magnificent. A hard choice but Halo 4 is the one I would go for. I have never understood why so many liked Halo 3, I find it to be the weakest in the series.

I thought I was the only one that thought this XD

1+2 were my faves but in recent times I would say 4 without a doubt. Loved it's campaign and multiplayer with mechs.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

You're missing out big time.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Why don't you want to play 5?