By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Bros. shows us why it's bad not to have an achievement/ranking system of some kind.

Einsam_Delphin said:

Yeah after thinking about it I do feel the gang up factor is the biggest reason now, though a ranking/achievement system could still help here. As much as I've played Splatoon for I've never seen anyone fool around in rank battle. I'll concede that I shouldn't blame them for the initial start of the problem. We can assume they thought the "can't specifically target a player" rule would prevent this, but I can still blame them for not doing anything about it after the fact! It's their game and they control how it's played, or atleast how it's not to be played.

I will say that GSP could have been implemented directly into online modes as well as offline. The core of Smash has always been local, but Global Smash Power or something of that nature would be nice to see. With that said, I honestly cannot see that as a scenario in which prevents the nature of what goes on. You wouldn't see the problem nearly as much in For Glory or For Fun/For Glory Team Battle much like Rank Battle because you see naturally more competitive people there. And the same incentive that works in games like Splatoon don't really work in games like Smash. I remember there was a matchmaking system of some kind that was implemented but I know it was never described in large detail. They might even have a system where they are are subtly punishing people that for these type of matches or dc'ing or SD'ing by not only kicking them but sending them to a seperate server so they play amongst themselves. Even if they don't, its not fair to blame them. One thing you could do like in the match you had is attack one of the guys who are just standing around instead helping target the only guy playing the game as intended. You can be angry at Nintendo for not punishing you for your actions... but in that match who is that one guy playing fairly going to be angry at? Nintendo or you?

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:

I snipped out the parts where you said what I already did and are stating the obvious as that just made your post unnecessarily long.

As said, the reason I brought up Mario Kart and Splatoon were not because of how exactly people were trolling in those games, but how many, that was all. There's trolling in all games obviously, but Smash has significantly more than pretty much every game I've ever seen. And yes it makes perfect sense to blame Nintendo for not taking obvious counter measures against trolling. Admittedly they do have rules which can kick players, but they obviously aren't working, and they haven't even acknowledged the existence of this problem.

So the Solution of the problem would be, if Nintendo bans you from online-play. Right?

Einsam_Delphin said:
Cloudman said:

Oh I see. Hmm, not sure what to say, then. I often played teams with a friend and never ran into this issue. I do hear some people goof off like that for some reason.

It's pretty much exclusive to free for all since 1v1 and 2v2 don't have the gang up factor. That must also be why it's become so popular, people are afraid of being gang banged.

AlfredoTurkey said:
I haven't played the new SSB but if I did and saw people just jacking off and standing in the corner, I'd just go on the attack and pummel them into fighting. Seems like a simple fix.

But then they'd just gang up on you like in the video, and if they really, really don't want you to win, they'll point feed.

I'm confused. What's the point then? 

Dravenet7 said:

I will say that GSP could have been implemented directly into online modes as well as offline. The core of Smash has always been local, but Global Smash Power or something of that nature would be nice to see. With that said, I honestly cannot see that as a scenario in which prevents the nature of what goes on. You wouldn't see the problem nearly as much in For Glory or For Fun/For Glory Team Battle much like Rank Battle because you see naturally more competitive people there. And the same incentive that works in games like Splatoon don't really work in games like Smash. I remember there was a matchmaking system of some kind that was implemented but I know it was never described in large detail. They might even have a system where they are are subtly punishing people that for these type of matches or dc'ing or SD'ing by not only kicking them but sending them to a seperate server so they play amongst themselves. Even if they don't, its not fair to blame them. One thing you could do like in the match you had is attack one of the guys who are just standing around instead helping target the only guy playing the game as intended. You can be angry at Nintendo for not punishing you for your actions... but in that match who is that one guy playing fairly going to be angry at? Nintendo or you?

It wont work because you say so is not a reason to sit around twiddling their thumbs. Can't truely know until they try it, certainly wont hurt anything.

If they're smart they'll blame both. The player is at fault for trolling, and Nintendo is at fault for allowing it. Nintendo is the authority here, so they're the ones expected to correct the problem.

hentai_11 said:

So the Solution of the problem would be, if Nintendo bans you from online-play. Right?

Yes I'm the mastermind behind the whole thing so taking me down would totally put a stop to it, but not really.

AlfredoTurkey said:

I'm confused. What's the point then? 

That it isn't a simple fix.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Platina said:

Well, is obvious that you weren't trying to win :p

In an average match, people will be aiming to win, which is what I was trying to address.. Staying alive is definitely a good strategy because that means you won't hit the negatives.. when others fight, they will get points and lose points, which will average out. Aiming to KS while keeping your damage low is definitely the way to go with 4 for alls, which isn't way it's intended

An average match nowadays is like the video, but sure we'll talk as if this was a year ago. :L

Of course you want to stay alive, that's generally always a good idea, but thinking you're never gonna take damage and can just kill steal for victory is highly impratical. If you're trying to say free for all inherently lends itself to being played incorrectly, well I don't think that's true. Relying on kill stealing in itself is risky as they could die sooner or later than expected, and the whole sitting in the background thing can easily be ruined by someone deciding to attack you. Even when you get a kill, those who pay attention will be keeping score and going after the leader, or at the very least they'll just be salty after dying to you lel. Regardless of all that though, when not trolling most people do play it correctly, atleast from what I've seen, so it would definitely be better if people has reason not to goof off.

I was just pointing out one of the options that people will take, in order to explain why some people stand around doing not much (when they aren't trying to troll). Overall, this method won't let you win all the time but it is one that has worked times for me.

Though I haven't played online recently so I haven't really noticed this, but I don't really see why this is happening more than before, especially when nothing was changed with the ranking system :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Platina said:

I was just pointing out one of the options that people will take, in order to explain why some people stand around doing not much (when they aren't trying to troll). Overall, this method won't let you win all the time but it is one that has worked times for me.

Though I haven't played online recently so I haven't really noticed this, but I don't really see why this is happening more than before, especially when nothing was changed with the ranking system :/

Oh, well believe me, whenever someone just hangs out, 99.9% of the time it's because they don't want to fight period. Yal can go online in ether version of the game and see for yourself that I'm not even exaggerating.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Platina said:

Oh, well believe me, whenever someone just hangs out, 99.9% of the time it's because they don't want to fight period. Yal can go online in ether version of the game and see for yourself that I'm not even exaggerating.

I'll take your word for it :p

I treat Smash like how I do with Ranked Splatoon. I don't play online unless it's with friends.. because I don't really have fun playing either FG nor FF in the first place :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

This is why people play Street Fighter instead of smash.

EXACTLY. THANK YOU FOR SAYING THIS!!

Own:Nes,Snes,N64,Gamecube,Wii,WiiU,Gameboy Pocket,Gameboy Advance SP,DS,DSi,3DS XL,Sega Genesis,Sega Dreamcast,PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP,PSVita and Xbox 360.

Looking to get: Original Xbox 

A significant portion of my soul died with the first "SMT X FE" footage reveal.

Add me on PSN: afnanthekooltrex 

Check out my YouTube channel:  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzZ6P0251NWOf7WUTsHmw_Q

kooltrex said:
EXACTLY. THANK YOU FOR SAYING THIS!!

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. =/