By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - People abuse the word "racist"

Do you agree?

Yes, I agree with everyth... 118 74.68%

No, I have to disagree with you on this. 16 10.13%

I'm mixed. 19 12.03%

Other/ N.A 5 3.16%

Total:158

Yes people overuse it to hell. Neither racist or sexist mean much anymore. They've been turned into rhetorical weapons rather than objective descriptions.

Just this week some moron was annoying Oxford dictionaries telling them their definition examples were sexist. What he'd done was effectively pluck a random selection out where "she" was used for a negative act or trait e.g "she had a shrill voice". and he'd declared this sexist. Which of course it's nothing of the sort. To determine whether it was sexist, you'd have to look at the dictionary as a whole and compare the male/female averages. Cherry picking is meaningless.

Around the Network
Nettles said:

Cultures with a good work ethic do better than those without.No "privilege".If white privilege exists in America how does a small Asian minority earn more, have lower unemployment rates, higher college attendance rates?

Society did not benefit them, they benefitted society.

I don´t get what you are talking about. Do you mean that culture is genetically based, and not a product of the society they live in? You mean that people of Asian descent are born with good work ethics? :)

The explanation about how people from, mainly, Japan or China succeed (using the term Asian includes an entire continent, which also includes India, Pakistan and more, but I guess you mean Japan and China?) within a predominately white society could be a number of explanation, but we can always +trace them back to how people from China and Japan traditionally has been treated by the White majority in history, compared to people of african descent. It also has to do with the culture in their home countries, and what traditions people bring with them when arriving to a country.

It´s of course a complex explanation, but do you mean that the explanation is something else than society norms and history?

Nettles said:

Self loathing Swede.

Figures.

Yup, I really hate the open, tolerant and relaxed society I live in ;).

JWeinCom said:
Everyone's a little bit racist.

No, everyone's not a little bit racist. That's what racists say to feel better about their racism.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Actually any word can be overused

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network

Its not only the word racist that is misused. The word privilege is massively overused often in the same sentence as the misuse of racist.

REDZONE said:
eva01beserk said:

I completly agree. Its only a problem when it affects how we treat others. I belive we are allowed to hate any group we want, as long as we dont discriminate them. Hate them, dont friend them, dont date them, stay away from them, its all fine. Just dont attack them, dont get in their way, let them be.

What?Hating them,don't friend them and don't date them?Is that not discriminating against them?That sounds a he'll lot like something a racist would do.

Wich is what was said, that we are all a bit racist. But as long as we dont do anything hurtfull to anybody of the group we dislike its ok. Nobody can force us to fraternise with others, but they can force us to not harm others. Its how society works and theres nothing wrong with that.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

REDZONE said:
eva01beserk said:

I completly agree. Its only a problem when it affects how we treat others. I belive we are allowed to hate any group we want, as long as we dont discriminate them. Hate them, dont friend them, dont date them, stay away from them, its all fine. Just dont attack them, dont get in their way, let them be.

What?Hating them,don't friend them and don't date them?Is that not discriminating against them?That sounds a he'll lot like something a racist would do.

I agree a lot with him. I'm white, but I've had quite my share of racism crap since I'm in Japan. I don't really care about what people think, and I don't thinks it makes sense to forbid someone to think something, or ask people to control what they think, or have to be what we'd like or what we'd want them to be. But they have to behave. Minimal respect is what I ask for.

Also, about the thread, I also believe there is abuse of the word, but racism exists and it really get you on the nerve. When you start to think twice if it's a simple joke or not, you can become quite noisy about it.

forest-spirit said:
Using labels such as racist, nazi, feminazi, SJW, etc. is so much easier than constructing proper arguments, that's why they get abused so much. Just ignore the ones that does it a lot because chances are they're the kind of people who won't respond well to being argued against anyway.

The issue is that thouse peole come to you to argue and acuse you of this stuff. WHen you try to defendd yourself your a racist, if you dont say something back your agreeing to what the are saying and your still a raist, but you aknowledege it. If there is no wining, I will fight back then.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Puppyroach said:
mornelithe said:

By this way of thinking, every religious person on the planet is guilty of every transgression and violent, horrific act carried out in the name of their respective faiths throughout history.  So, all Christians, Catholics, and Muslims are racist, woman hating, pedophiles.  Generalizations and Sins of the Father mentality are lovely, aren't they?

The thing that utterly pisses me off about this, is that I'm not rich, I've never been rich, my family was pretty poor when I was growing up, and we've never experienced this 'white privilege' you refer to.  My stepfather drove a fucking moped to work, in Vermont, through winters so he could put food on our table.  Fuck anyone saying he was privileged.  

What? I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I mean that we need to understand why the term "white privilege" exist and why there still are structures in society that benefits some people to a higher degree than others.

Is it right to blame anyone for all transgressions in the past by a specific color of your skin, religion or ideology? No, absolutely not, but we can not behave and think that we are not in any way affected by the society around us and the history that has lead to where we are today. I am talking about finding explanations for people´s reaction, not just looking at people´s reactions in a vacuum without any relation to history or how society as a whole is today.

Its true that we need to understand where it comes from and we all agree that it has shaped the society we live on today, but that still does not excuse the behaviour of the SJW's acusing an entire race. That in fact is racims.  

Its as someone already said. We live in a lazzzy society in the west. Everytime it doesnt work out in anyway for any individual they have to have somebody to blame. women inmediatly blame men, blacks go to whites and so on. We live in a world where we never have to look at ourselfs to identify the problem and its getting out of hand. we cannot cuddle these people anymore by cowording by their accusations. If its bullshit, call it out. Let them fall back to their "racist, sexist, biggot,ect" acusatins, we all know its bull anyways.