By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo FY2015 Q3 Results (3DS: 3.6m, WiiU: 1.87m, Profit)

OneKartVita said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yes, but this time they will have Amiibos and mobile games to back them up. Also despite bad current hardware sale they making good profit, around $330m for first 9 monts.

That's because the Wii U's they're selling now we're developed in a different fiscal year so costs were listed then. Amiibo will likely peak especially if NX does worse than 3DS + Wii U.  And mobile is unproven.  Nintendo might be too stubborn to fully embrace mobile.  

Fact is that they making profit and this gen they will be in profit. We dont know if Amiibo will peak this gen, they definitely are not one gen thing, they will be on NX too. I dont think NX will do worse than 3DS + Wii U combine. Even Nintendo doesnt fully embrace mobile they will make money from it.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Teeqoz said:

4th quarter was negative last year, so it doesn't seem to unlikely that it will be this year as well.

Did they make a writeoff for something in order to boost the following fiscal year?

I don't know. It would be kinda weird to do a writedown of assets with the specific goal to make the corresponding quarter look better next year though. But Sony's gaming division is only forecast to make 5 Billion Yen in operating income in the next quarter, while last year in that quarter they had a 6.something Billion Yen loss, so it wouldn't be surprising if Nintendo took a loss/very low profit in the same period.

Amazing sales for both Splatoon and MK8. Yoshi also performed decently!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

RolStoppable said:
Teeqoz said:

I don't know. It would be kinda weird to do a writedown of assets with the specific goal to make the corresponding quarter look better next year though. But Sony's gaming division is only forecast to make 5 Billion Yen in operating income in the next quarter, while last year in that quarter they had a 6.something Billion Yen loss, so it wouldn't be surprising if Nintendo took a loss/very low profit in the same period.

I didn't mean the corresponding quarter, but the fiscal year as a whole. In the sense that last year Nintendo could have thought "oh well, we are going to miss our projections anyway, so let's take another hit to go into the next fiscal year with an advantage".

But anyway, the first calendar quarter isn't a hot period for video game sales, so we'll see how Nintendo does. If they are in the black for the quarter, I wouldn't expect anything more than $50m to begin with.

Hmm, well, I suppose if they had something that they thought needed a writedown, then they might decide to get it over with that year instead of taking it the next fiscal year, but I really doubt they'd write something down just to make them look stronger next year.

And yeah, agreed.

Nintendo is probably pretty upset with those 3DS numbers. I think the hardware forecast they set was very conservative and they still missed it and they missed their software forecast by a huge gap. The weakness likely lies in the Western markets, these markets are moving away from dedicated portables entirely sadly.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Nintendo is probably pretty upset with those 3DS numbers. I think the hardware forecast they set was very conservative and they still missed it and they missed their software forecast by a huge gap. The weakness likely lies in the Western markets, these markets are moving away from dedicated portables entirely sadly.

Actually biggest fall in sales of 3DS was in Japan, in 2015 was sold around 1m less 3DS in Japan then in 2014, from 3.3m to 2.2.

Also 3DS this year is in its 5. year on market.

Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

Actually biggest fall in sales of 3DS was in Japan, in 2015 was sold around 1m less 3DS in Japan then in 2014, from 3.3m to 2.2.

Yeah I saw the steep drop in Japan in the Media Create threads. It makes me wonder if the drop in the West was bigger than that or not. 

JetSetter said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yeah I saw the steep drop in Japan in the Media Create threads. It makes me wonder if the drop in the West was bigger than that or not. 

I think it's more that Japan has more room to drop since sales in Japan were higher to begin with. 

Soundwave said:
JetSetter said:

I think it's more that Japan has more room to drop since sales in Japan were higher to begin with. 

They weren't that much higher like people seem to think.

Lifetime 3DS sales in Japan-20.97

Lifetime 3DS sales in Americas-19.50

Lifetime 3DS sales in Others-17.47

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

They weren't that much higher like people seem to think.

Lifetime 3DS sales in Japan-20.97

Lifetime 3DS sales in Americas-19.50

Lifetime 3DS sales in Others-17.47

I meant in the later half of the 3DS' cycle, Japan has carried the system moreso than other markets. Man looking at these numbers compared to DS cycle is sobering. 

DS Japan - 32.99 million

DS Americas - 59.9 million

DS Europe - 61.03 million 

Both the Americas and Europe alone sold as much as the 3DS has worldwide in 5 years, lol.