By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Has Apple lost its way?

Has Apple lost its way?

Yes (post below if possible) 116 74.84%

No (post below if possible) 39 25.16%

Total:155
Soundwave said:
Eddie_Raja said:
Absolutely. IMO the iPhone 6 copying Samsung's big-phone design signaled when they stopped being the trend setter's.

In fact I would say the same about their new Macbooks. They are just too small when it comes to screen size. The Macbook Air is now a useless product.

Forcing people to use small phones when some people like big phones is simply logical business sense. 

The iMac, Macbook, iPad, etc. don't come in one screen size, I can choose based on my needs which screen size works for me. What's wrong with giving people who buy a phone that option? 

Apple has never been about options.   The high command chooses what is best for the consumer and then you buy it because you trust they are right - that is how it has always been.  I have never been an apple fan, but when they are right: they are right.

-People laughed at a $600 phone - and boom they created the smartphone market

-People called the iPad an oversized iphone - and boom they created the tablet market

The list goes on and on but again they are just iterating on old ideas and designs.  There used to be a certain air of futurism and wonder to new apple products.  But now they are following the trends instead of creating them.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network

Apple became stale the moment Steve Jobs died. I'm only surprised at how well they did up until now.

Steve Jobs: Why have a pencil? You lose them, misplace them, yuk! We're already born with ten styluses(wiggles fingers)

(years later)

Apple: We shall give Steve Jobs a big middle finger by introducing an overpriced pencil for $100.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

I suspected that after Steve Jobs passed away, Apple would gradually start to lose its insane industry dominance. It took a little longer then I thought but it looks like the signs are now clear. I don't want to see Apple go out of business by any means but I think weakening their position a bit would be a very healthy thing for the industry at large. For example, a weaker Apple gives companies like Nintendo a breathing chance to find opportunities for new innovation and to survive.

kowenicki said:
Speaking as an Apple shareholder.... yes it has.

Clear to me now that Jobs had to hold Ive back occasionally. That isn't happening any more and it shows.

Some awful design decisions and little in the way of innovation that has grabbed people.

Not that it matters, they can just buy market makers and other innovators if it gets tricky.

I have to ask as you've always seemed very knowlegeable in these sorts of things, how do you think Apple stock will look over the coming year?

Around the Network

Apple to me has always been the Toyota of the tech world. Safe, reliable, somewhat modern, and attract many sheep to buy their products.

It's not really just Apple though. The whole smartphone market has stagnated in incremental improvements. Next year will be a DECADE sionce the iPhone launched. A DECADE and what really has changed since touchscreen became the norm? The previous decade had new tech coming out every few years. Everyone remember the Nokia 3310? Then the colour phones, then flip phones, then Mp3 capable phones? The next big thing needs to happen soon, because until it does there's little reason to "upgrade" short of your phone dying.

LurkerJ said:

Little R&D? you absolutely have no idea what you are talking about. 

Deny it all you want ... 

darkknightkryta said:
Puppyroach said:
I have never seen Apple as being very innovative at all when it comes to creating technology, but they have been absolutely amazing at creating an image of exclusivity and creating user-friendly products that makes us realize how we can use existing technology in a better way. What Seve Jobs did, was to set rules as to how they should manage their image, what Products to go for and what level of quality they should have. This seems to have disappeared with Tim Cook, and I see them more as a manufacturer among everyone else nowadays, nothing really special about them.

That's the definition of innovation :P

Absolutely, but not in technology way, but rather user interface. When it comes to UI, I still think they are the best in the industry. But when it comes to technology they are lagging quite far behind the rest.

Soundwave said:
They still make more money and have a larger cash reserve than many developed nation states do.

They're doing fine.

Nokia from 2000 says hi :).