By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Has Apple lost its way?

Has Apple lost its way?

Yes (post below if possible) 116 74.84%

No (post below if possible) 39 25.16%

Total:155

Lol@"whatever they do people will follow them" & "most consumers will buy their products regardless". That's why the Apple Watch is doing amazingly well, isn't it? -.-

Little R&D? you absolutely have no idea what you are talking about.

Behind Samsung and HTC in specs? You haven't done your homework.

Nothing makes laugh like pseudo-techies that come gunning for Apple only to look like fake geeks.

Criticism is fine but please, check your facts.

Apple earned their success and people who use their products are pleased. I am not sure why some of you think Apple is supposed to keep pumping "the next big thing" to justify their success, other tech giants don't do that and they are just fine.

Now, to address the valid points raised up so far; Kowen is right, Ive needs taming.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Nah, Apple was never an innovator in my eyes ...

It was always their solid support and software ecosystem that kept them afloat when it came smartphones ...

In fact they spend very little on R&D relative to their size when it comes to being one of the leading technology companies ...

This is because unlike a lot of other companies, Apple makes only a few things, which is also one aspect of what makes them so successful. Whenever they mkae something new, they often look for something else to drop from their product line. It is a good way of keeping a company focused, unlike Sony, who tried to do a million diferent things and fragmented themselves in the process.

As for Apple and innovation, I don't think very much would have changed had Steve Jobs still been around. I think technology in general has reached a point where there isn't really that much we can do as far as new technologies that are marketable. The breakthrough technological achievements we've been waiting for are possible, just not at a consumer level, at least not yet. I think one thing people are often guilty is scrutinizing Apple for every little mistake they make. As much as I admire Steve Jobs, he wasn't perfect and every time someone criticizes Tim Cook for sometihng, I can usually find a similar example of something that happened when Jobs was in charge.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Ultrashroomz said:
Apple hasn't watched enough Kill La Kill.

In all seriousness, after looking at their more recent products like the Apple Pencil, and their ugly looking iPhone battery case, I think Apple definitely is starting to lose their sense of direction, not that it matters though, most general consumers will buy up Apple products regardless.

An ugly looking battery case, I understand that. But the Apple Pencil? Have you watched or read reviews? The thing is a beast and the target audience completely agrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMgCyfjYrJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak7pXLA2tm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av3r5c18tjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8xZedh_hUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mbzrlYcLNU

While the name might sound silly at first but test it and you will see why calling it a pencil actually makes sense. And the price isn't ridiculous, check how much you need to spend to get something similar from Wacom Cintiq.

Maybe. Some apples can fall far from the tree.

Lube Me Up

Sales are doing well in China, in fact its what has kept profits increasing so I read on the bbc site today... so not sure why its suggesting otherwise in the OP.

My biggest problem with apple is that their hardware is great, but could be better. iPad, no ability to put in more memory... their apps should be universal between Mac and iPad now.... why they haven't done that yet... the difficulty of getting music/videos paid for from iTunes onto other devices is a hassle... nice tech but it's a hassle to get stuff done/working.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

Microsoft bailed out Apple sometime ago, and what Apple innovated was mobile touch screen.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

I don't know. I have the feeling they are the only ones who are innovating at all. Like with Touch ID. Once Apple used that, every android manufacturer tried to copy it and they needed years to reach the same quality. The same will happen with Force Touch. And then there is the fact that iPhones are absolutely amazing in terms of quality. They are among the highest build quality on the market and they always destroy every android phone in terms of power when they release - despite lower specs on paper.

Just look at Samsung. The new Galaxy phones don't have Micro SD anymore and a built in battery. They are essentially iPhones with android. If Apple isn't innovating, then who is?

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

How many times can you invent and re-invent. Not forever. They haven't lost their way. It's just we reached a point were it's good enough. What else can you really do that's new and different with phones and other things. Not much. The apple watch, google glasses, and VR headsets. Are just ultimately the same thing. You're just interacting a different way. Apple glove, Apple vizor, Apple hat, Apple shoe? Your new 2020 8k iphone. Now with real life colors!!!

Apple has been inflated in value and is not genuinely one of the most valuable companies in the world. They create nothing particularly unique, they don't innovate, and no one HAS to have their products

Apple was bringing in better and bigger things at one point like 10 years ago but they've stagnated and their company will start to follow. any company based on something as unreliable as tech falls sooner or later, all it will take is a competitor breaking into a new technology or product first and BAM

To me Apple was never about innovation their products have always been overrated and overpriced.