By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Spike Lee, Jada Pinkett Smith to Boycott the 2016 Academy Awards Over Lack of Diversity in Nominations

Will they even be missed?

Around the Network

I think Ryan Coogler (director of Creed) deserved a nom, but Will Smith seemed to overact in Concussion.

The problem is not with the Academy though, I think the Academy has shown it's quite willing to nominate diverse groups of people.

It's in the Hollywood system, there's not much opportunity for black, Hispanic, Asian, etc. roles, so naturally there's not going to be a lot of them nominated.

Will Smith has it good, but who's the next Will Smith? How about an Asian actor that doesn't have to kung fu fight or an Indian actor who's not a cab driver?

KLAMarine said:

No, not by those people.

gooch_destroyer said:
KLAMarine said:

No, not by those people.

I don't recall Spike Lee or Jada Smith doing anything particularly notable. Any movie buffs around here wanna provide some info?

so they want to get nominated because they are black? I mean i saw both of those movies and concussion does not deserve anything. I liked creed but it's really just the same story all over again. I still liked it but i understand it may not be award worthy.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

Race has nothing to do with awards wtf?

If they want people to be nominated because they're black, isn't that kinda racist in itself?

Glad everyone here is in agreeance. This is outrageous.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

OMG academy awards are so racist!! we want them to nominate more actors from MY RACE!!! OMG

Chevinator123 said:
Race has nothing to do with awards wtf?

this seems more like these two wanting to be attention whores, and using the race card as a way to get more attention.